Hey!

I'm looking to upgrade my equipment completely from the Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Line6 Spider IV I have right now. Buying a solid state amp was probably the worst choice I ever made.

Either way I've decided to get a Fender Strat, most likely an American Standard, but I need help with tube amps (20-50W). I want an amp that can do clean and dirty. I play blues, soft rock, hard rock... actually anything rock, not really metal though. I also want the amp to go well with a Fender Strat. I've been looking at the following:
- Vox AC30C2
- Blackstar HT soloist 60
- Orange AD30HTC top w/... any good cab (suggestions?)
- Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 with any cab.
- Marshall 2203KK with cab
- DSL50H with cab
Other suggestions are more than welcome!

In addition to amp, I'm looking for an overdrive pedal... not really tubescreamer like. I want it to be really versatile, not too transparent though. I've been looking at the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Fulltone OCD, Mad Professor Little Green Wonder and the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive. I've had the opportunity to test the MP Sweet Honey with a Vox AC30 and it was great, love it... but I've heard quite a few clips of the OCD and MP Little Green Wonder, and they seem awesome as well, so I wonder how they compare to the Sweet Honey!
Have a look for an Egnater Renegade One of those and an OCD would set you for a long, long time. What sort of budget do you have for this?
Aight! Thanks, and for the amp I'm looking to keep it as low as possible actually, no more than $2000, but what I'm really looking for is the most bang for the bucks you could say (; btw what do you guys have to say about combo vs. top and cab?
Right then, $2000 as a top end is plenty to work with. You can still get plenty of bang for less than that. I'll still stand by my suggestion of the Rengade then.

I've grown to prefer a head and cab set up. Easier to transport and you can chop and change when you get on down the line.
Aight, I have nearly no experience with cabs, so what cabs work with what? is it all just matter of preference?
You can use any cab with any amp head you like The only thing you need to consider is the impedance, the head and cab have to match. 4, 8 or 16 Ohm are the most common (or only?) values you'll tend to find. Heads can often switch between all three, while cabs tend to run at a certain value for stereo (two heads) and another for mono (one head)
Out of those and for what you play I'd definitely say the VM, but also maybe the AD30 & AC30. Definitely look at Egnater and maybe also Fenders like a Hot Rod Deluxe.
Some other stuff to consider might be a Bogner Atma/Panama/Palermo etc, Mesa Transatlantic/Express/Lonestar, Budda Superdrive or some Dr. Z. Thought a lot of those ones aren't really bang for buck like a Marshall/Orange or even a Mesa in comparison.

For the cab I think you'll want either G12H30 or Greenback speakers.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 21, 2014,
Sweet, ill check out the fenders and I've heard some cool stuff about Dr. Z amps as well. Only thing I'm sceptical about when it comes to the fenders, is that (I've heard) they only do cleans really well...

edit: and what about overdrive effects?
Last edited by SageWornout at Mar 21, 2014,
I'd look for your equipment used (obviously). You can get an American Strat for $700-900 and an AC30C2 for $700-800. I really like the way the Sparkle Drive went with my AC30C2, but some people don't like tubescreamer based pedals with an AC30. You could look into the Crowther Hotcake, supposidly the best drive pedal for an AC30.

That's just my 2 cents.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by SageWornout
Sweet, ill check out the fenders and I've heard some cool stuff about Dr. Z amps as well. Only thing I'm sceptical about when it comes to the fenders, is that (I've heard) they only do cleans really well...

edit: and what about overdrive effects?

Where did you hear that? Some have very nice drive sounds and are easily good enough for hard rock.

As for an overdrive, if you want basic then can't go wrong with a SD-1, but for something a bit more special, OCDs are great. But that can almost be classed as a distortion pedal.

If you're spending that much on an amp you should rely on the amp for most of the distortion since it will be nicer than most pedals, but a tubescreamer or something like that as a lead boost or different 'drive' rather than distortion sound is ok, i.e. SRV.

All my opinion of course
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Yeah that's my max budget, of course i would love it being cheaper, and that's what kinda attracts me to the AC30, it's quite a bit cheaper than the other amps, how reliable is the AC30 btw? the newer models don't "blow up" do they? And if it helps (with choice of amp and pedal) my favourite guitarists are in the like of... well mostly Eric Johnson and maybe some Hendrix, but I want to be able to create my own sounds, though I just love Johnson "violin" like tone.
If you plan to play at low volume I don't think the AC30 is a good choice, it's one of those amps that really needs to be cranked up loud to sound good. Though I'm not sure if they come with master volumes these days. Something like the Vintage Modern sounds much better at low volumes. It's based off an old JTM45 I think but 'modern' meaning it's got a master volume and all the other more modern features plus some extra gain.

Eric Johnson used all kind of stuff but a lot of his tone is in the fingers. If you can't play like Eric Johnson you won't sound like him. I'm just saying this because he has one of the more distinct and smooth lead playing styles I've heard. I think he used/uses a lot of Marshalls but probably lots of other stuff too.

Hendrix while also impossible to copy, is probably a bit easier to come closer to since his playing isn't as 'precise' I'd say. All Marshall & Fender amps there mostly.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
The Vintage Modern is nothing like a JTM45.

I'd go for either the AC30 or DSL (post 2003) depending on your personal taste. Both are good amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The VM is based on JTM45 circuit I believe. It's like a hot rodded JTM45 basically.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I own a JTM45 (that I built) and I have used a VM. I got to give it a good workout at band practice because I was thinking of buying one so the shop lent it to me to try out (I bought a Randall RM100 instead.) They are nothing like each other. Find me a schematic for the VM and I'll investigate for actual, factual details. As far as I can tell, they use KT66's so everybody says they are "based on the JTM45." They sound nothing like each other.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 21, 2014,
I'm sure you could get a pretty similar sound of it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Aight thanks for the feedback guys! and yeah of course i won't sound like eric johnson or hendrix... or anyone else, just saying i love their sound

what about other brands, such as Divided by 13, Dr. Z, etc. what have you to say of anything thats not fender, marshall or vox? (or egnator for that matter)