I often play at a practice space with this amp, since it's not mine I do not have the time to fiddle with it and find the right tone (good distorted tones are easy to dial in, cleans...not at all), do you have any suggestion as far as eq/settings to get a good clean tone out of it ? Last time I messed around with the EQ for almost 15 minutes but still the cleans I was getting out of that amp were bleah no matter what.
Boost it with some boost or compressor or something fairly transparent sounding.

Then set the eq flat, well with every knob on 12 o' clock, and if it doesn't sound good it's an amp problem and you can't really do a lot about it without an external eq and similar stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 21, 2014,
Everybody has a different idea of what "good clean tone" means. Some people think it means having the mids down and the treble up. Other people think it means the treble should be down and the mids should be up. SOme people want a tiny amount of clipping. Other people think it's impossible to get a nice clean tone with anything other than Fender single coils. Other people think a clean tone has to have delay and reverb. Etc, etc, etc.

The problem with the DSL line is you've got the one EQ section shared by both channels. This is why I eventually sold mine; I like the mids to be in two totally different places for my clean and distorted tones. I would suggest you set the EQ to sound best for the tone you use most, and compromise on the other tone. Remember that you can use each channel's two modes to give a thicker midrange and a little less treble (crunch/lead2) to compensate for turning the mid knob down or the mid shift switch on.

If you're set on EQing for a "good clean tone", I suggest you start off by setting all bass, mid and treble at 6 and the presence at 7. Set the amp to it's most basic 'clean' mode and put the gain at about 3. From there, play a few chords or whatever and think about whether you want it thicker or thinner and adjust the mids accordingly. Now play a little more and just concentrate on the lowest notes, the impact of the bass. Adjust the bass control if you want more or less bass. Same for treble. I personally would not adjust the presence far from 7, as the DSL switches from icepick-piercing to muffled very quickly with the presence knob. Only move a knob one notch at a time, play a little more, then keep moving it if you think it's not been moved enough.

For reference, most pros who have used the DSL line, like Jeff Beck, Iron Maiden, Richie Sambora, My Chemical Romance and many others, keep the EQ fairly flat, which is why I suggest starting with everything set to '6'. It just seems to be the way most people use it. I remember when I had it, I had the bass and mids turned up a little extra, but not much. The JCM2000 line doesn't work particularly well when you put any knobs at any of their extremes.

Also, don't try to set up a tone while you're in a bad mood or frustrated. Turn the amp off, sleep on it, come back to it tomorrow if need be.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.