Hello,
I'd love to get the sound that michael amott has in arch enemy, in his latest albums. His tone is overdriven but still amazingly clean and you can hear every single note in his songs.
Do any of you guys know what amp/pedals/pickups he uses in this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRMwptcgAo
Thanks
Michael somehow manages to get that crisp sound out of everything. I think a lot has to do with him as a player, it sounds like he is heavy handed which lends to a nice clear sound. I know he had a signature Randall V2 (Ninja), they sound really good, super tight and clear. He is a bit of a gear *****, it is hard to say what he is using at any given moment, but mostly you just want something super tight, fairly compressed.

Going digital isn't a bad idea, his tone is a bit sterile so really digital or solid state isn't a bad thing. A boosted and properly EQd 5150 would work, possibly Krank (he was using those at one point), maybe a JVM (also has used those), Engls, etc.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
could it be that he has such thick strings that everything sounds so thick?
That helps. Definitely not the only thing though. The C tuning makes everything really chunky too.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
He mainly now uses Marshall JVM, more than one in studio, if you want, I can make an impulse response from his songs.
If you Listen closer, you can see that most of Necrophagist solos sound similar to each other