Don't use soap or anything silly like that. If you don't want to spend 10 bucks to get some guitar cleaning stuff then just use a rag and wipe down your guitar after you're done playing.

That said... If a fingerboard is really dirty I'll use a bit of naphtha and a credit card to clean it up and then immediately apply something similar to the 'lemon' oil you can buy for guitars to re-hydrate the board.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thank you for your response. I think i will just break down and spend a small amount of money.
Quote by jthabcd
Thank you for your response. I think i will just break down and spend a small amount of money.

A guitar cleaning kit (with fretboard conditioner, polish, metal cleaners etc...) will last you a long time anyway since you don't need to apply them too often. Especially the stuff for fingerboards so don't let the smaller sizes of the bottles put you off.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.