Hi guys, first post in the forum.

I currently in the process of buying a new guitar, and at this point i am torn between these two different choices: The Kramer Assault 220 with Floyd Rose and the Epiphone Explorer 1984 Ex Reissue. I already have a Kramer Nite V and i love the ever shit out of it. But i'd like to purchase another guitar as THE guitar.

Here's some details so that you guys could help me with:
Genre: mostly Metal, but i'd like something versatile enough to practice with different genres and sound
Budget: Not really an issue with these two, but i'd like to keep all the purchase down around 600 dollars max

Below are what i came up with the two guitars:

Kramer Assault 220 FR:
Pros:
Les Paul shape with white finish
Coil tap/volume bleed
24 frets
About 200 dollars cheaper than the Explorer (which i will put into a new pair of pickups for it, maybe Bare Knuckle Nailbomb perhaps?)

Cons:
Floyd Rose (restringing and tuning is gonna be a bitch)
Stock pickups are just so so, probably the same as the Nite V: Good enough to play everything but not particularly outstanding.
Kramer-branded guitar is not as good as Epiphone-branded perhaps?

Epiphone Explorer 1984 Ex:
Pros:
EMG 81/85 already installed
Explorer shapes with also white finish
Hardtail with TOM bridge
Limited edition?

Cons:
Only 22 frets
200 dollars more expensive than the Kramer (which meant i will have to buy and play this as it is - no further customization)

Outside of those pros and cons, according to their websites their specs are very similar: both of them have mahogany body and neck, set in construction, rosewood fingerboard. So if anyone could help me decide between the two that would be grand
If you like the Kramer Assault but don't want the Floyd then why not look at the higher end ones that come with TOM bridges. They have the Assault 220 Plus Seymour Duncan and the Assault Plus EMG. They are both about $200 more than the Standard 220 FR and pretty much eliminate all your cons. Plus they are going to be of better quality materials and build and already have great pups in them.

I would personally take one of them over the Explorer. The only thing is they aren't offered in white. The Seymour Duncan version is Natural Quilted Maple top and natural mahogany back/neck with a maple fretboard. The Active EMG version is all Black and has a Ebony fretboard.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Mar 22, 2014,
I just check the shop's website and found those two Kramer you told me. The Kramer Assault 220 plus Duncan is on sale at 699 dollars and the Kramer plus EMG is on sale at 799. Usually in Australia (or as I like to call it "the land of the ungodly expensive shits) they retails up to 1600 dollars. Still it is way above my budget at the moment (i could ask for more but i'd like to keep the expense down). Or i could try my luck at buying a TOM bridge version of the Assault that is listed on the website as "Call for availability" (weirdly enough it is more expensive than the Floyd Rose version). Or i could just take the Explorer and be done with it...

Decisions decisions....
They're both very different guitars, but I understand if availability could be an issue because of the cost of everything in Australia.

I'd get the Explorer. Not having 24 frets is really not a deal killer imo, even as a lead player, there are very few situations which require it as opposed to just bending the 22nd fret a step. The Explorer Is going to sound a lot better, especially when 18v modded, and anything that doesn't have a cheap floyd rose is only an asset.

Plus it just looks really, really good.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They're both very different guitars, but I understand if availability could be an issue because of the cost of everything in Australia.

I'd get the Explorer. Not having 24 frets is really not a deal killer imo, even as a lead player, there are very few situations which require it as opposed to just bending the 22nd fret a step. The Explorer Is going to sound a lot better, especially when 18v modded, and anything that doesn't have a cheap floyd rose is only an asset.

Plus it just looks really, really good.

Thanks. I just browsed the shop again online and found another model of the Kramer Assault. It is a black one loaded with EMG 81/85 with Floyd Rose FRT-1000 (so it is not licensed Floyd), 24 frets, full mahogany body/neck and ebony fingerboard. The only problem is that it is low stock and about 800 dollars. Should i shell out extra for it or settle with the Explorer?