Page 1 of 2
I think meditation's got be awesome, but I dunno where to start.

I've heard people absolutely raving about it. I wouldn't mind trying it. Any one got any advice where to start?
If masterbation counts which ive heard it does

And I dont see the point in sitting on the floor for hours repeating the word "ohm" when you could be using the time to lift
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Mar 22, 2014,
Nah I distance myself from shit like that. Unless if inebriation counts as meditation.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by captainsnazz
yeah same but I wish I could
my brain just tells me it's a waste of time and doesn't let me do it

I think you got to focus on your breathing.

Breathe in deeply for 10 seconds. Exhale deeply for 10 seconds. Something like that. And focus all your attention on that and your brain noise starts to fade.
does fapping count? if so i meditate a few times a day
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Jus get stoned m8
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
There are several ways I meditate. On my days off I smoke some pot, do two workouts a week, play guitar as much as possible, listen to music and read every day, clean up the house or chill out and watch a movie or go out and have fun. This is what works for me, even if its not considered an ethical or traditional way of meditation, I really don't care. My top two are sex (while high, or not) or hanging out with the ppl that mean the most to me. All of these things are what keep me going strong.
what the hell do people think meditation is?

wanking, getting chooned, playing guitar....what even
I used to. It's kind of a waste of time. I'll do it if I'm feeling really stressed (it's kinda good for that), but other than that, **** it.

You want to position yourself, back straight, sitting down. You close your eyes, and then count each breath. In. Out. 1.

You do that in sets of 7 (the breathing) and try not to think of anything else at all. If a thought comes into your mind, you tag the thought and move on.

There are like a few different types of meditation. That one's supposed to be stress relieving. I feel that it works after about 10-15 minutes but I know some people go for like an hour or whatever. That's when it gets so super unnecessary.
If by meditate, you mean sit at the kitchen table in a drunken stupor and stare at the wall while listening to Waylon Jennings, then yes, I meditate 3 times a week.
Quote by legendaryrock
There are several ways I meditate. On my days off I smoke some pot, do two workouts a week, play guitar as much as possible, listen to music and read every day, clean up the house or chill out and watch a movie or go out and have fun. This is what works for me, even if its not considered an ethical or traditional way of meditation, I really don't care. My top two are sex (while high, or not) or hanging out with the ppl that mean the most to me. All of these things are what keep me going strong.

Sometimes when I meditate, I eat doritos and watch the daily show.
Quote by willT08
you should all read miracle of mindfulness by thich nhat hanh

I underestimated you William
I've just started, it's okay, the key is to just focus on your breathing, that's what you think about, inhale...exhale, over and over, as soon as you start to think about something, bring it back to your breathing. At least, that's what I've been told for mindful meditation.
Quick inside view of Phillip's meditation

Ommmmmm Ommmmm women are garbage and I feel this way due to my deeply seeded mother issues Ommmmmm Ommmmmm
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I was taught to sit indian-style with good posture/neutral spine, like there is a string from heaven attached to your skull, pulling it up. Then focus on your breathing. Breathe through your belly, not your shoulders, in through nose, out through mouth, and try to match the time it takes to inhale with the time it takes to exhale. I sometimes imagine there is a flame in my belly that I manipulate with my breath, but never extinguish. I'll focus on counting to 15 breaths, then back to one breath, and I'll continue that at least 5 times. Usually takes about 15-20minutes.

Its natural for your mind to wander, and I think its good, because, like dreaming, meditation helps you come to terms with turmoil in your life. Its important not to passively let it wander because then it'll be hard to focus on your breathing and form. All in all, at the very least, your body is getting an influx of oxygen and practicing good posture and healthy breathing, which will carry with you throughout the day.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
What you want to do is either sit or lie down. Breath in through your nose, out through your mouth. Slow deep breaths.

On the inhale count 1 in your head, exhale 1, inhale 2, exhale 2. When you get to 30 start again from 1.

Just focus on this.

Don't actively try and notice it, as this will bugger it up, but you will find that slowly your breathing gets shallower and your body relaxes.

That's it at it's basic. But there's Zen meditation, Mindfullness, Transcendental, Kundalini, Guided meditation, the there's also trance-inducing meditation, which uses a shamanic drum beat or something similar.
I did for a while. About 3 months for an hour a day starting with 10min sessions and gradually working up to 30 min sessions. Sometimes doing a full hour session. I found it helped me sleep better. I would feel more refreshed waking up in the morning. I stopped oversleeping. But them I got lazy and stopped doing regular practice. An hour is probably overkill anyways. I should pick it up again except do 30min daily instead.
I'm doing 6 mins for now, may eventually work up to 20 mins. I do it for general anxiety. Probably is, one of my triggers is getting lightheaded/off balance (common somatic effect of anxiety) and this can occur when I'm not feeling mentally anxious, eg: during meditation, which then makes me anxious, so it becomes difficult to concnetrate.
I don't meditate, I use to when I was like 15-16 but I don't have time for that stuff anymore. I find acts like exercising and playing music to be meditative because its absolute focus and you get the relief from the mundane thoughts running through your head.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I do three times a week for about 15 minutes. Normally straight after yoga. Does wonders for me, I really recommend it.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
I was doing it for about 3 or 4 months before bedtime for 10-15 minutes, but then I demoted and started playing games on my phone instead.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Anything you can do to keep your mind intensely focused on one thing could be seen as meditating. Like many have already said, the most basic way to do this is to sit down with your back straight and feet on the ground, close your eyes, and start taking full breaths through your nose and out your mouth. Count your breaths, and focus all your awareness on the breath itself. Your random, crazy thoughts will start to diminish the longer you keep doing this, although on some days I find that I simply cannot keep the thoughts out at all. But that's okay too, as long as you are at least trying to keep your attention on your breath.

But like I said, anything that keeps your mind focused on one thing is good to practice. I visited a Navajo family on a reservation in Arizona, and one way that they meditated which I found funny was by playing solitaire on a really shitty 90's PC. I have noticed myself that when I play solitaire on PC, it is usually maybe for 10 minutes at a time, but rarely does my concentration stray from the game.

Everyone multi-tasks regularly these days, much more so than at any other time in history. It is good to know how to multi-task, but if you're trying to complete an important project or goal, you have to be able to focus on one thing for extended periods of time.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by lolmnt
Quick inside view of Phillip's meditation

Ommmmmm Ommmmm women are garbage and I feel this way due to my deeply seeded mother issues Ommmmmm Ommmmmm

deep-seated
I think meditation is great. I really prefer it without a specific technique most of the time. Sort of like, a session of super mindfulness. I maintain some level of mindfulness throughout the day whenever I get stressed or anxious, and then I actually sit down and meditate during times of my life when I feel I really need to step back from things.

Meditation is not about stopping thought. Years of trying to do that made me more anxious than ever. Meditation is about learning to let them pass and not react to them. It's sort of like an embrace of emotions, feelings, and thoughts. When you feel down on yourself, learning to accept these feelings is really helpful for making positive changes in your life. It helps keep me grounded, as well.

When I feel like life is a little dull, then I engage in a different sort of meditation where I sort of make an effort to cultivate a sense of love for everything.

I don't have much advice in the way of specific meditations, but I do think learning to know when to let things be and embracing all sorts of shitty emotions is an invaluable skill for life.
I don't meditate but I might get something similar when I paint my nerd stuff. I really zone in and don't think about anything else unless something breaks my focus. If I do it for like an hour I feel amazing afterward.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by progdude93
deep-seated

Really? Ya learn something new everyday
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
It's like those couches that are really deep so when you sit down it's really hard to get up
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2