Soooooo tax return comes soon! I was thinking of swapping the AH1 and 2 pickups in my Ibanez IC300 with Lace Dissonant Aggressors. But then the Hammer Claws came out. The IC300 has a big mahogany body and maple neck. I do typically play rhythm heavy stoner metal/rock on this guitar (including, of course, Mastodon) and I want to know if anyone has had experience with either of these sets yet. Sound clips below:

Dissonant Aggressors: http://www.lacemusic.com/kelliher_dissonant_agressors.php

Hammer Claws: http://www.lacemusic.com/Hinds_Hammer_Claws.php

Overall they say the Hammer Claws have a more compressed EMG-like sound which I hate but more defined mids which I think is a must.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
They both probably used stock Gibson pickups and SDs in old Gibsons on the older Mastodon records, in case you're chasing that kind of sound. I have no doubt those are both great pickups though.

Just saying
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
They both probably used stock Gibson pickups and SDs in old Gibsons on the older Mastodon records, in case you're chasing that kind of sound. I have no doubt those are both great pickups though.

Just saying

They have not been used on any of their recordings (they've used mostly the SD SH-6 AFAIK). The new record coming out this year will probably have the Lace pups on it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
They have not been used on any of their recordings

That's why I said it^^

Brent's pickups are pretty new, so they might not be on the record but Bill's will be definitely.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
I'm trying to move away from SD right now, I'm never completely satisfied with their pups and I feel like they are too common. I dunno I just like to be different haha.

I was thinking just based on body wood and shape (similar to Kelliher's Explorer in a way) I would go with the Dissonant Aggressors. I just want opinions of anyone who's tried them.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Badmotorfingers
That's why I said it^^

Brent's pickups are pretty new, so they might not be on the record but Bill's will be definitely.

lol but you said "probably". I was just saying for sure.

Quote by TheStig1214
I'm trying to move away from SD right now, I'm never completely satisfied with their pups and I feel like they are too common. I dunno I just like to be different haha.

I was thinking just based on body wood and shape (similar to Kelliher's Explorer in a way) I would go with the Dissonant Aggressors. I just want opinions of anyone who's tried them.

People often ask about new gear around here, and never get responses. This simply isn't the right forum for that - UG's demographic is shifted significantly toward young people, and as a result, there are very very few people around here who just go out and try (read: buy) new stuff when it comes out. As I'm sure you know, guitar gear isn't something that is easy to try out. At all. Brick & Mortar selection is extremely limited compared to the vast amount of gear that exists. And finding a particular set of pickups out of all things? Near impossible.

You'd have much better luck at a forum like TGP, where the average age and income of the users is much higher, and they are much more prone to trying out new gear as it comes out.

Don't waste your time trying to be different. There's no point, it just makes you look silly for avoiding good gear. Good stuff IS popular (reading this I have to throw in the disclaimer: excepting beginners and beginner gear). It's a logical conclusion. Just try to use your ears rather than your biases. Your playing and style is what will set you apart. Not your gear. Examples: Gojira use 5150s and Seymour Duncan JBs, but get a unique tone. The Dillinger Escape Plan use Mesa Rectifiers and EMGs, but get a unique tone. The gear is there to get you a sound you like. Uniqueness and how you convey yourself is all up to you.

/rant

Sorry but not really

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
lol but you said "probably". I was just saying for sure.

People often ask about new gear around here, and never get responses. This simply isn't the right forum for that - UG's demographic is shifted significantly toward young people, and as a result, there are very very few people around here who just go out and try (read: buy) new stuff when it comes out. As I'm sure you know, guitar gear isn't something that is easy to try out. At all. Brick & Mortar selection is extremely limited compared to the vast amount of gear that exists. And finding a particular set of pickups out of all things? Near impossible.

You'd have much better luck at a forum like TGP, where the average age and income of the users is much higher, and they are much more prone to trying out new gear as it comes out.

Don't waste your time trying to be different. There's no point, it just makes you look silly for avoiding good gear. Good stuff IS popular (reading this I have to throw in the disclaimer: excepting beginners and beginner gear). It's a logical conclusion. Just try to use your ears rather than your biases. Your playing and style is what will set you apart. Not your gear. Examples: Gojira use 5150s and Seymour Duncan JBs, but get a unique tone. The Dillinger Escape Plan use Mesa Rectifiers and EMGs, but get a unique tone. The gear is there to get you a sound you like. Uniqueness and how you convey yourself is all up to you.

/rant

Sorry but not really

sorry but can't agree with that whole last paragraph. dare to be different nothing wrong with that as long as you understand what you want. of course quality gear is popular for a reason but keep in mind that when it was new someone had to have the balls to give it a go and set a precedence. yes you can still get an individual tone by using popular gear but you can also be a trendsetter. not saying to play metalcore with a hollowbody jazz guitar but no reason to not experiment some with other options that are viable for the style. I play blues using a BC Rich Eagle into a Peavey Ultra for instance. neither is an obvious choice but it works for me and I can get a more individual sound as well as still manage a more traditional sound when needed.
What you use doesn't matter as long as it makes you happy to use it.

The point of what I want to say is: don't overlook the solution in front of your nose just because you feel that that answer is "too easy".

One of the best blues tones I've ever used was with the rhythm channel of the old 5150 212 I used to have.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well on top of bias and wanting to be different, I do like the sound of both sets and the benefits of Lace Sensors over traditional humbuckers. Less noise, more sustain yadda yadda. But thanks for the tip anyway Offworld92! I'll go check them out.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9