hey guys:
I want to post my songs on the internet for recording and other tips, but I'm afraid of someone stealing my licks or something like that, what do you think?
should I post them or not? what do you think?
If you Listen closer, you can see that most of Necrophagist solos sound similar to each other
Unless you post the tab as well I somehow doubt people will bother.
But if you're really paranoid and only looking for tips, just post jams or covers instead.
I have nothing important to say
Your licks probably aren't worth stealing anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Your licks probably aren't worth stealing anyway.

hahaha exactly, but it's a bit of paranoia.
thanks guys.
If you Listen closer, you can see that most of Necrophagist solos sound similar to each other
send a physical copy of the recording to yourself in a registered package. That way you will have physical evidence that it's yours if anyone steals it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Why would you be mad if someone liked your licks enough to learn them? That's flattering.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Generally, that isn't anywhere near enough evidence.

It's the best you can do

Quote by the bartender
It's the best you can do

But what if the mailman steals the package and takes the recording and the licks all for himself? Then what?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
But what if the mailman steals the package and takes the recording and the licks all for himself? Then what?

What do you mean he took them? He obviously recorded his own licks and mailed them to himself. What a foolproof system!
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
people will steal licks, you've stolen them as well. you should be more worried about people stealing your compositions. but people never do that, probably as a point of pride and also because there's much better to steal from if they really were so inclined.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It isn't even proof that you created something. It's just proof that it's been posted somewhere.

True, but like I said, there's not much else you can do. It doesn't conclusively prove that the person stole your idea, but it's at least evidence that you recorded this idea before he/she did, so it's better than nothing

Someone who calls himself "DJ Xage" had a track I made for sale on iTunes.

I've warned him through youtube and facebook, but whatever. I'm glad the song he stole isn't worth me sending a letter to iTunes. He didn't rip me off, he litterally downloaded my mp3, and released it for sale and claimed he made it.

Having a physical copy doesn't mean much, unless you're taken to court over it, it's more just not worth it to send a physical letter to itunes or having youtube call you.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by stratkat

I've warned him through youtube and facebook, but whatever. I'm glad the song he stole isn't worth me sending a letter to iTunes. He didn't rip me off, he litterally downloaded my mp3, and released it for sale and claimed he made it.

Having a physical copy doesn't mean much, unless you're taken to court over it, it's more just not worth it to send a physical letter to itunes or having youtube call you.

That's some shit, **** that guy. That's why I don't put music I care about out into the internet unless I copyright it (which I haven't done for any song).
Quote by the bartender
send a physical copy of the recording to yourself in a registered package. That way you will have physical evidence that it's yours if anyone steals it.

Dont forget to include thousands of dollars lawyer for fees to get that "riff" back.
Quote by stratkat

Ill download it and sell it back to you for a small fee.
Lol you're ridiculous man. Post on soundcloud and you will have the rights to your music. Nobody can steal your shit. Nobody will most likely, no offense.
be more worried about people mocking you
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by morbidguitar
Dont forget to include thousands of dollars lawyer for fees to get that "riff" back.

lol I don't live in the USA tho

Quote by macashmack
That's some shit, **** that guy. That's why I don't put music I care about out into the internet unless I copyright it (which I haven't done for any song).

Even legal zoom charges more than the song is worth.

From what I've seen the music this guy claims to have made is most if not all stolen.
That's how I found out about it. Also the dude who stole it didn't bother to even change the track's title. I'm not particularly proud of that track, but it was good enough he stole it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/beginning-to-end/id574583311
Track 11 is the track I made, I'm pretty sure he stole a lot of it off newgrounds audio portal.

Here's my upload of it about 2 months before he uploaded it to youtube/itunes
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/491286
I never intended to profit off it, which is why it doesn't bother me too much, plus he's not very popular. It just irks me he'd call it his creation. Also how he appears to be an adult with adequate music equipment (on his yt channel he vlogs) to write, but steals anyway.

My music is on a lot of pirate mp3 sites and the like, but at least those give me credit.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 22, 2014,