i'm tempted to buy a guitar with this just to try it out. i'm not sure of any models in the USA that have this although we've seen the pics of necks with lightning bolt shaped frets which also attempts a similar result? similar theory as fanned frets or no?

pardon my stupidity in these things, i was raised on a planet where frets were straight.

what say you those that have taken to the dark side of funky frets?

and can we try to focus on the Fujigen CFS to a degree here?

any and all replies welcomed. even cathbard.
That...makes geometric sense.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm willing to concede up front that this does everything they claim because the truth is, it doesn't matter.

It's a solution in search of a problem, like "alternative" keyboards for computers.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I've played lots and lots of guitars with screwed up intonation (also tried to fix some of them). Few of them had intonation problems due to messed up fretwork (for example, you know you can't fix shit when you intonate the octaves and then realize that on the 7th fret the 6th and 5th strings are sharp, the 4th and 3rd ok and the 2nd and 1st are flat). I've also tried good conventional guitars and guitars with true temperament side by side. What CFS advertises here I can say its true for TT guitars.

I can help you picture that with 2 examples.
1. Strum (clean) 0-3-2-0-1-0 and 0-15-14-0-13-0 and 12-15-14-12-13-12. My ear couldn't perceive any difference in pitch, nor any disharmonious content. Do the same comparison on a conventional guitar and one of those positions will sound better than the others (as in closer to true pitch for a C chord)
2. Play with distortion 4 stringed (or more) chords. In conventional guitars the overtones (that we are hearing amplified cause of the distortion) will sound plainly wrong and muddy. With TT that's not the case, as the overtones are much much closer to the correct pitch on all strings and frets.

The CFS system looks like a budget version of TT to me. Truly correct pitch is impossible, how close the CFS comes I can't know until I tried one.

PS: It has nothing to do with fanned frets. FF is multiple scales. CFS is being on precisely the same scale during the whole length of the fretboard.
I've looked into this myself, without having had hands on experience I felt the results would be negligible compared to something like True Temperament.

Vai experimented with TT, but I don't know if he still uses it now.

Vai - True Temperament

I believe buying a neck fitted with with the TT system would be cheaper than buying a Fujigen guitar with the C.F.S, you'd likely get more out of the TT neck, they have a bunch of different options, too. But I love a Fujigen Ibanez, so I'd wager their guitars are pretty slick, wish I could tell you more about the C.F.S other than my observations from pictures.

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=1&sgo=0

When I get the cash I'd like to invest in the well-tempered fretting, but it's going to cost me more because I want them to retrofit a different neck of my personal choice, I hate the look of their headstocks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks interesting. I'd definitely give it a shot and judge it without having nearly the experience needed to judge it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
looks great to me.

More innovation please.

We're 50 years behind in guitar world.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It must be legit. It promises longer sustain just like every single gimmicky guitar product!
Quote by JustRooster
Looks interesting. I'd definitely give it a shot and judge it without having nearly the experience needed to judge it.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, problem is so much great technology exists but its not cost effective. so much great digital stuff, peizo, midi, autotuning, great wiring, built in preamps, innovative new materials, compensated or altered tuning systems, etc etc etc

but all those things come on guitars 500+ easy. most of those things are on guitars 1000 +.

a majority of the guitar transactions out there probably happen at 400 or less. probably 300 or less. and at that price, with margin and markup, resellers, logistics etc, that means you gotta make a guitar for probably 75 bucks and sell it for 350.

but i agree. new tech does need to come in. the most popular guitar designs today still orinigated in the 50s-60s.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by DoubleBassCrash
I've looked into this myself, without having had hands on experience I felt the results would be negligible compared to something like True Temperament.

Vai experimented with TT, but I don't know if he still uses it now.

Vai - True Temperament

I believe buying a neck fitted with with the TT system would be cheaper than buying a Fujigen guitar with the C.F.S, you'd likely get more out of the TT neck, they have a bunch of different options, too. But I love a Fujigen Ibanez, so I'd wager their guitars are pretty slick, wish I could tell you more about the C.F.S other than my observations from pictures.

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=1&sgo=0

at $795 for the neck i think going the fujigen route for ~$700 would be cheaper.
a budget model mij fujigen tele with cfs goes for $400 in japan, plus taxes/shipping i'm at $650-700?

but comparing a cfs fretboard to a tt shows a lot of differences where the cfs would be more out of tune than a regular stadard neck if you buy the science of the tt neck. which it's hard to argue with frankly. the vai vid was cool aside him being racist and calling the guitars "japs". i didn't read the comments to see if anyone flipped their shit about it.

Quote by JustRooster

i'm considering it for just the same reasons.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 23, 2014,
It makes sense. Assuming it is constructed correctly, there is no reason to doubt this works in the most basic sense. Whether it would actually produce such significant results that you could actually tell the difference, I am not so certain. Certainly with fanned frets and compensated frets, I have not find there is any noticable difference in tone (I can't vouch for what a machine test may pick up).

My main concern would be the practicality of bending on frets like that, and the comfort of playing on higher frets. There's also the issue of intonation and set up if you wanted to use a more obscure string gauge, string height and tuning combination.

I'd happily give it a try, and like I said, I do believe it would work technically, but I would be surprised if I found myself preferring it to straight frets and a compensated nut. Technical viability and practical application are two enitrely different things.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
this may be an incredibly stupid question, but can you even play a barre chord on those circular frets?

I have very well tuned ears, and have never encountered intonation problems on a guitar that i cant get in tune (as in tune as any other western instrument) with saddle adjustments.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by jpnyc
It must be legit. It promises longer sustain just like every single gimmicky guitar product!

After I chopped down a redwood with my Squier it has infinite sustain now.

This just looks like it'll screw up every guitar players technique. You'd never be able to go back after learning to play with bent frets.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This just looks like it'll screw up every guitar players technique. You'd never be able to go back after learning to play with bent frets.

Why? You fret inbetween the frets, not on them. And the radius of the curve isn’t that tight. The difference is pretty small, similar to moving from a 24.75" scale guitar to a 25.5" guitar.
I think this is a lovely solution for a problem that doesn't seem very critical. I'm not sure how the circular frets produce all the sustain/resonance/belltone etc., but you've gotta have bullet points for the marketing boys.
Quote by dspellman
I think this is a lovely solution for a problem that doesn't seem very critical. I'm not sure how the circular frets produce all the sustain/resonance/belltone etc., but you've gotta have bullet points for the marketing boys.

the harmonics are sonorous.

they say.
You know, sometimes I feel like my resonance is too slow
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Interesting? Yes. Interested? No.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by gregs1020
the harmonics are sonorous.

they say.

Hard to believe. Any string's harmonics are sonorous to that string itself (because the harmonics will be generated from fractions of its length). If they mean other strings will generate more sympathetic vibration then I start thinking 'feedback'.

Still, the ONLY way to have an opinion on this is to try one. If I ever see one, I will.
Why do I feel a bit responsible for this thread?
IMO it gives me the right to go slightly OT:

Like!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
They'd better use stainless steel frets because fretwork on that is gonna suck.

Quote by gregs1020
similar theory as fanned frets or no?

Nope, fanned frets are just a different scale length for each string. This curved fret system uses the same scale for all strings. The goal of fanned frets is to change the string tension for each string, while the goal of this seems to be to to achieve a more accurate pitch, kinda like a compensated nut does for open notes, but on every fret.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Mar 26, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020
a white fretboard would be cool.
It's Prince-approved

A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
aw he ripped off my dress-down friday look
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks warpig. i think someone else chimed in on that too.

flibble that's what i thought of, prince. i think prs did it too.

dave - you're dressed down friday look knows no bounds.
Quote by gregs1020
thanks warpig. i think someone else chimed in on that too.

flibble that's what i thought of, prince. i think prs did it too.

dave - you're dressed down friday look knows no bounds.

Now I see why you say 311's dressed down Splawn is perfect for Dave's Friday gigs.

Bit bland. Stick a purple LED behind that grill and I'll take it.
aw now come on, i draw the line at leopard print. frilly shirts are classy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?