Once I discovered locking tuning machines, they've tended to be my favorite type of tuning machine. But I'm curious what you think are the advantages & disadvantages of the various types of tuning machines?
  • Fender Vintage style (split shaft, strings go straight in and around)
  • Modern/Fender Standard style (string through shaft & around)
  • Locking tuners
Quote by CalicoSkies
Once I discovered locking tuning machines, they've tended to be my favorite type of tuning machine. But I'm curious what you think are the advantages & disadvantages of the various types of tuning machines?
  • Fender Vintage style (split shaft, strings go straight in and around)
  • Modern/Fender Standard style (string through shaft & around)
  • Locking tuners

I can't say much on the other types. I do know that I prefer locking tuners on all my guitars. Even if the only benefit is faster string changes that's good enough for me. Only negative to them is that if you lock them in too tight you have a very high chance of it snapping the little strings in two. But that isn't a tuner issue that's a user issue.

I like the Schaller/Ping tuners > Sperzel USA. They just turn much smoother to me.

I'm sure the Vintage and Modern style tuners work just fine. As long as they are stable, you have a properly cut nut, and string properly they will all work the same.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 22, 2014,
Locking tuners are the best for me, as they provide super-fast string changes and great stability.
I prefer Sperzels due to their lighter weight, but Schallers are also very reliable and smooth, and have a slighlty more comfortable thumb screw.

My current guitar has Grover Rotomatics, these are not as convenient when changing strings, but they are just as reliable when it comes to staying in tune.
Last edited by terribleguitar at Mar 23, 2014,
^ what he said

Lockers are the best.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.