Page 1 of 2
All of us who play that heavenly-sound-producing stringed instrument known as the guitar know that in the field of music, inspiration plays a HUGE role in keeping those itching fingers pressed against those fretboard and keeping our mind focussed at completing those frustrating exercises (and not chopping of the pinkie).

The guitarist who has inspired me the most is Synyster Gates. Now before you A7X haters jump for my throat with that machete your holding, I don’t think Syn is the greatest guitarist of all time, heck he isn’t even my favourite guitarist (hint: AY AC/DC). But I would really like to play like him and I feel that I can relate with him a lot. Anyone who watches Brian in the studio knows that he works really hard to perform perfectly live as well as get that right sound in the recording studio, while maintaining that goofy personality which keeps the mood of the band up always.

Anyways, tell me about the one who inspired YOU. It could be one of the Greats, or your teacher, or your relative, friend, maybe even someone who doesn’t play the guitar at all. Remember, this is about the one who inspired you the most, so only one person allowed.

This should be interesting...*rubs hands*
3 guitar players have inspired me.
-Matthias Jabs (lead guitarist of the Scorpions),
-Mark Knoplfer
-Gary Moore.
-Dave Mustaine
-Mike Ness
-Gary Holt
-Dimebag Darrell

I didn't choose Dime because I'm just another fanboy or Pantera praiser (is that a word?), but learning Cemetery Gates was the reason I even chose to pick up a guitar in the first place. He's had a huge impact on my life.
john frusciante
david gilmore
jimi hendrix

honerable mention: jimmy page
For guitar virtuosos-
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Al Di Meola

For songwriting/composition
Lately, Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree would be at the top of my list.

Honorable mention-
Lil Wayne ahuehuehuehue
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 22, 2014,
Love how everyone is ignoring the whole pick one thing
For me it was Eric Melvin (NOFX). He's not a great guitarist but he made it look fun.

And for bass, Roger Manganelli (Less Than Jake). Although I still can't play ska bass lines convincingly hearing them always makes me want to play bass.
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Scott Ian

Then:
Hendrix
Ritchie Blackmore
Franz Beckerlee, Who? Danish guitarist in the '70s band Gasolin' The Danish answer to Led Zep

Ad:
Randy Rhoads
Yngwie Malmsteen

That covers it I think. That has been the main but just one would be Jimi with no doubt in my mind. So much that I ended up playing his music in a trio like the experience to feel it.
Quote by xnameisonx
Love how everyone is ignoring the whole pick one thing

I simply can't choose just one.
It's fair enough, I guess it's difficult to choose just ONE person who has inspired, like me most people have been inspired by several people across several sub-genres.
Quote by Dimarzio45

Honorable mention-
Lil Wayne ahuehuehuehue

Ya I remember that shit he was doing onstage. A disgrace I tell you. But it still inspires, in a way. Makes you want to pick up a guitar and strum really hard.
Quote by _tim*
3 guitar players have inspired me.
-Matthias Jabs (lead guitarist of the Scorpions),
-Mark Knoplfer
-Gary Moore.

Thanks for introducing me to an awesome new band - Scorpions. You rock dude!
Quote by quadracer92
-Dave Mustaine
-Mike Ness
-Gary Holt
-Dimebag Darrell

I didn't choose Dime because I'm just another fanboy or Pantera praiser (is that a word?), but learning Cemetery Gates was the reason I even chose to pick up a guitar in the first place. He's had a huge impact on my life.

Dave Mustaine really influenced a lot of people. With his guitar AND his hair.
Since everyone is giving more than one, maybe I should disclose a few others who have inspired me too (hehe). Jimi Hendrix who has also inspired a couple of you guys too, has also really changed the way I look at music, his very being seems to be bursting with talent. I mean that guy can play with his teeth!

John Frusciante, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have been acknowledged as one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and anybody who watches them live and doesn't feel the urge to go get themselves a guitar truly doesn't really deserve to play the instrument.
Last edited by josonmj at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by josonmj
Thanks for introducing me to an awesome new band - Scorpions. You rock dude!

Man they're one of the greatest hard rock bands ever !

edit: And if we're living on the same planet, you have already heard their classics"Still loving You", "Wind Of Change" and my favourite, "Rock You like a Hurricane"
Last edited by _tim* at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by _tim*
Man they're one of the greatest hard rock bands ever !

edit: And if we're living on the same planet, you have already heard their classics"Still loving You", "Wind Of Change" and my favourite, "Rock You like a Hurricane"

Yeah I've heard Rock You Like A Hurricane. Who hasn't? I just never knew the band behind it.
Blues inspiration: Jimi Hendrix

Hard Rock/Metal inspiration: Jimmy Page

Country Inspiration: Willie Nelson
Quote by ZeppelinSkynyrd
Blues inspiration: Jimi Hendrix

Hard Rock/Metal inspiration: Jimmy Page

Country Inspiration: Willie Nelson

Nice one
Quote by gameprogram12
Kurt Cobain mainly.

Kurt Cobain had an inspiring career, but it was a blur.
Only one guitarist? That's so hard. A select few inspired me when I first picked up the guitar (and still do), but as time has gone on I've discovered and/or delved into other guitarists who have picked up the torch of my inspiration over the years.

If I have to choose one:

- James Hetfield (followed closely by Tony Iommi).

Other big influences when I was first learning:
- Neil Young (mostly his electric lead playing)
- Ritchie Blackmore
- Kirk Hammett
- The Edge
- Jimmy Page

Guitarists who have greatly influenced me since:
- John Frusciante
- Jack White
- Jimi Hendrix
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Tommy Emmanuel
While not often praised as a great guitarist (even though he is), Jeff Buckley is most certainly the musician who has inspired me the most.
Once i heard a7x i decided to learn guitar on my own after years of guitar lessons and getting nowhere
Dave Mustaine, Megadeth is my all time favorite. Then i got into Trivium.... And yesterdy was my birtday and my wife got me a 7th string, really! But I've been in the guitar business for 8 years now so, that ment a lot to me. :-)
Stevie Ray Vaughan. No question. The guy played an old beat up parts-caster and everything he played turned to gold. Metaphorically, of course. As far as the parts-caster, he didn't need any custom made 4 or 5 digit guitars to make him happy. He was happy playing Number One and that sent me a message at a very young age. The message was that you don't need a super expensive guitar to sound good. Just get a good one and let it rip.

Stevie, all guitar playing inspiration aside, was also a huge personal role model for me. The guy was up to his ears in alcohol and drugs. He and his bass player (Tommy Shannon of Double Trouble) finally got to a point with drugs and alcohol that they had nowhere left to turn but to prayer, so they dropped to their knees. Stevie and Tommy then spent a month in rehab and recovered from all the drugs and alcohol. How ironic he was killed by a helicopter crash and not by something drug related.
2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster 1994 Ibanez RG270 1970's Hondo Les Paul 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II 1990's Kit Built Telecaster 2005 Ibanez AW40NT 1949 Harmony Sovereign
Last edited by Crackerhead at May 2, 2014,
HANK MARVIN
PETER GREEN
MICK RONSON
JIMMY PAGE JIMMY HENDRIX
DAVE GILMORE
SLASH
RICHIE BLACKMORE
ANGUS YOUNG
JOE WALSH
PRINCE
BRYAN MAY

Think that about covers it...lol....not forgetting..SRV..
Last edited by 1abpetegreen at Jul 28, 2014,
If I had to choose just one? I couldn't.
It's a straight up tie between James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett.
James writes some beastly riffs and whilst Kirk isn't the greatest guitarist, he has still written some truly badass solos. Those guys together were the main driving force that got me to pick up a guitar.

There are obviously others that contributed:
Dave Mustaine
Marty Friedman
Jeff Hanneman
Alexi Lahio
Matt Heafy

I'm also aware that my spelling of some of my favorite guitarists is awful. Uncommon names really throw me off.
Also a few other guys from bands that really...I'm just terrible at remembering names of people, even if they've wrote some of my favorite songs.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
James Hetfield inspired me to pick a guitar and I've been downpicking the hell out of it since than!
Last edited by georgi.artakov at Jul 1, 2014,
Matthew Bellamy. Because of him I want to be a lead pianist and guitarrist and switch instruments a lot during songs
Hetfield. Don't care too much about lead, I've just always been interested in learning the riffs.
Page 1 of 2