ive been thinking about picking up a cheap analog chorus or flanger. from my understanding they are fairly simple as far as the circuitry goes. what i am trying to do with it is switch out the capacitors for the speed/repeat control to make it a lot quicker. i want to be able to go down to about 5 milliseconds at the quickest. i know this largely depends on the pedal and its inner construction but does anybody know what type, volt, and frequency of capacitors i would need to do this?
First, capacitors are not measured in "frequency". They are measured in Farads. They are typically in the order of micro or pico farads in small devices, such as pedals.
Next, the voltage rating of the capacitor you use shouldn't really matter in this case. That only really matters when it has to withstand high voltages.
Lastly, and please, please, double check my thoughts here: If you want to make the modulation faster, you should decrease the capacitance, and if you want to make the modulation slower, you should increase the capacitance. I'm not positive about this, and I would have to see a schematic to be sure and know which capacitor to replace, so please double check. Either way, if it goes wrong, a capacitor costs like $1 and its not hard to swap them out if it ends up being the other way around.

EDIT: I'm a sophomore studying electronics engineering. So I know what I'm talking about, but take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm still learning and could easily be wrong
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Last edited by fagelamusgtr at Mar 22, 2014,
Capacitors aren't rated in frequency. Type doesn't really matter but film or ceramic would work fine.

The highest voltage in the pedal will be around 9v so 10v minimum would work fine but most non-polarized caps are rated at least 50v and electrolytic caps are typically rated 16v minimum nowadays, but those are probably on their way out in favor of 50v types thanks to modern manufacturing techniques.

Depending on the circuit you may be able to just change a resistor or pot. Not sure why you'd want to speed up a chorus or flanger. Imho they sound too sea-sick like that. To each his own.
Let us know how this goes. I could find a use for a blistering flanger.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
thanks guys. i guess theres a sort of mathematical equation for how fast the capacitor will work and the farad? this is all second hand information so im not sure and ill try to find a schematic
An equation would only be useful if you know the clock freq that you are after. Trial-and-error is a more convenient solution in a case like this, unless you are after an exact freq in a mission-critical circuit, which this definitely isn't.
well the capacitor is hooked up to a pot to control clock freq correct? so if i wanted something to go 5 milliseconds and up i could use an equation to figure out the fastest possible frequency? i really dont know anything about this stuff and ive got people that can put it together i just need to know what exactly to buy. i mean i dont even know in what farad range i am looking for to get to that speed. also seymore duncan makes a delay pedal called the deja vu which has a delay time setting as fast as 3 milliseconds. is there a way to look at the schematic for this pedal and determine which capacitor controls the delay time on that pedal? and if so would it be the same one i should use in my current project?