Looking for a 1x12 cab for home use.

But no idea what to get, it seems they all, or almost all of them uses Celesion speakers so between a £200 Blackstar and a £459 Mesa Thiele, am I just paying for the enclosure?
The Blackstar HT cabs are made of MDF and have Celestion 70/80 speakers, a mesa cab will be made of marine grade Birch plywood and they have a slightly different Celestion V30 than the normal V30 like orange uses. The construction of the cab has a big impact on the actual sound you hear. You are also paying a premium for Mesa in the UK because it is an import to you.

If you want a cheap but decent 1x12 look at this you cant beat the price and it comes with a V30 www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm?sid=43e98e542100b5c9a42b150ebd4b4530
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Go talk to Paul from Zilla cabs.

Full on custom goodness
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I would stay away from Blackstar. And all mdf cabs in general.

I think the best 112 cab are the Mesa's. The Orange 112 cabs are built strong but is a bit small.

If on a budget you could just get a nice 112 from Avatar, MojoTone, Zilla, SourMash made to your specs. Good cabs. Only knock on them is that the wood is not as thick as Mesa/Orange.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 22, 2014,
you said about the Mesa cab.

http://www.zillacabs.com/1x12_cabs.php

Zilla makes one for half the price, (its unloaded though)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot

True. Used though you can get the loaded Mesa Thiele with EVM-12L for 230-250. I'm not sure how the used market is where the OP is. I still think thats the best used bargain on a 112. That's a freaking $265 dollar speaker if you bought it separately.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 22, 2014,
http://www.roadkillcabs.co.uk/product/rkb112-badger/

RoadKill 1X12 for a little less (unloaded) Been using this guys cabs for the last couple of years, really, really great stuff.

Haven't tried a Zilla though!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I can afford a Mesa can, I can justify spending more on quality as I am in the camp of if you buy cheap, you buy twice so I have no problem if a quality product is worth it's price tag. The question is whether it is or not.
Quote by Fisheth24
http://www.roadkillcabs.co.uk/product/rkb112-badger/

RoadKill 1X12 for a little less (unloaded) Been using this guys cabs for the last couple of years, really, really great stuff.

Haven't tried a Zilla though!

That looks quality, what speaker do they use?

And at the risk of sounding like a noob, which I am, what are Piping and Casters?
Piping is the little accent binding like stuff that runs around the inside of the enclosure on top of the grill cloth, strictly there for aesthetics. Casters are wheels for the bottom of the cab.

The Blackstar is garbage, the Mesa is quality. You do pay some for the enclosure, but the speaker is higher quality as well, they may both be Celestions but a Pinto and GT40 are both Fords as well. The enclosure also plays a part in sound, better build quality means better sound quality.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ you can use any speaker you want with them. they're custom so he'll fit whatever you want. I'm pretty much the same as fisheth- my roadkills are very nice but I haven't tried zillas.

piping is just the little coloured bit between the tolex and the speaker grille cloth.

casters are wheels.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never played the Roadkills but i love the Zilla i have and my mates have bought cabs off them from seeing mine.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by raymond lin
I can afford a Mesa can, I can justify spending more on quality as I am in the camp of if you buy cheap, you buy twice so I have no problem if a quality product is worth it's price tag. The question is whether it is or not.
Yeah it is, but the zilla or the roadkill would be the best compromise if you ask me, while the harley benton would be the best on the cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Carrot

That looks really good too, can get a Mesa Thiele look alike for £150 less with a Vintage 30, and even built to my colour choice!

Amazing!

How long is usual delivery on these just wondering?
I have unfortunately experienced MDF falling apart on me in real time. It's a ****ing joke. Never get anything that's not plywood.

Orange PPC112s are a really great value, as far as 112s go. The new(?) Mesa 19 112 cabs look great too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've played a lot of 1x12 cabs. I've yet to hear anything that sounds as monstrous as the Thiele.
Quote by raymond lin
That looks really good too, can get a Mesa Thiele look alike for £150 less with a Vintage 30, and even built to my colour choice!

Amazing!

The Mesa Thiele is a cabinet specifically designed for just one speaker -- the EV.
Thiele-Small specifications are different from one speaker to another. Mesa is one of the very few standard production companies to have built such a cabinet.

Most guitar cabinets are slapped together by carpenters with no regard for what speaker will be used; they're simply boxes with speaker size holes in them wrapped in various colors of tolex. Most have been copied in size and shape from some other manufacturer's cabinet. Guitar players buy them and will often swap random speakers in and out of them trying to make them sound good.

The Thiele optimizes the bass response of the EV with a carefully designed interior size and port setup. You can stuff other speakers in the Thiele box and some will do well, some will not, but only a speaker with the same Thiele-Small parameters will be optimized by that box.
Quote by Offworld92
I have unfortunately experienced MDF falling apart on me in real time. It's a ****ing joke.

MDF speakers are okay for a home stereo system that's not going anywhere.
But if you're going to haul them around to gigs, you'll find that they're not very impact resistant, nor do they tolerate moisture. Nor do they hold screws/nails very well when subjected to the vibrations of being transported frequently.

They're quite inexpensive, but if you gig them, you usually discover why fairly quickly.
Spellman understands the physics of sound. Cabinet tuning matters.

I have played through a Mesa 1x12 Thiele EV and it is a very sweet cab with lots of bottom and it is f'ing loud. The ext cab I often use is a traditional Avatar closed-back with Celestion G12H30. Both cabs sound good but they are different by design. I could easily work with either as they are both high quality guitar cabs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Actually this 1x12 cab kills the mesa http://fortespeakers.com/3dcabinets/3d1x12.html

I have never heard a 1x12 sound that big, ever
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate