I'm looking to buy a digitech whammy. I really dig the sounds jonny greenwood and tom morello get outta this thing. Anyways my question is can the whammy be used as a regular wah like a crybaby or would you have to get a separate wah to get a normal wah tone?
No, it's not even related to a wah. The only similarity is that they have an expression pedal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ah ok I kinda figured that. Guess I'll be buying both. I never payed attention to the fact that it's not a wah it clearly says whammy durrrr! Just looks like a wah my bad lol
Last edited by Joeballz at Mar 22, 2014,
unless you find a Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah on ebay or something, than no.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
No. Just because something is an expression pedal doesn't mean it's a wah. It's just used to have a foot control of a parameter so you can actually play while controlling it. You can't really play and twist a knob on a pedal at the same time, so then comes the expression pedal.

An expression pedal can honestly be made for anything, but the most popular ones are:
Wah/filter effects
Pitch
Volume

and sometimes distortion/overdrive.
Last edited by Clay-man at Mar 22, 2014,
I was gonna come in here and say yeah totally, if you have the digitech whammy III, but it looks like you are just talking about a modern whammy iv/v/droptune. Those are just pitch shifters. As others have said, just because it has an expression pedal does not make it a wah. I myself have setup delay pedals with expressions and there are some other effects that use them, like some univibe clones. If you are looking at getting pedals, I recommend the wah first. The whammy is not for everyone and definitely doesn't work for all music
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb