Poll Options
View poll results: tip or no tip
ya
12 27%
na
32 73%
Voters: 44.
Page 1 of 2
Going to be getting my first tattoo soon (maybe) and I'm wondering if you're supposed to tip the artist? My gut tells me yes, but I don't know how much. It's going to be roughly ~6-7in of tattoo just black ink. Nothing intricate
pinga
Why would you tip a tattoo artist? They set their own rates, after all, and these rates will directly contribute to their wages. If they can't live off what they make, then they should charge more. If they're any good, that increase in rate will be justified.
You'll know when the time comes. You should only tip when it feels natural.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by bradulator
Only if you get a tattoo

^ this

however, seeing as a tattoo is expensive as hell and most tattoo artists make tons of money, (yes they do) you don't have to tip the guy or gall.
Quote by captainsnazz
definitely not

not just because tipping is dumb, but because tattoos are also dumb

Bingo!
i'd rather be a tattoo artist on low wage + tips in the us than work in the uk

some tattoo artists make up to $50 an hour just in tips
Quote by deadsmileyface
If you're gonna make one mistake, why not make another?

Quote by captainsnazz
definitely not

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Bingo!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Most tattoo artists also do maintenance and touch ups on the tattoos they give you. if they do an exceptional job, and you are incredibly pleased with your tattoo, tip him.
Quote by caeser1156

I think this picture is funny, but it's official, it's been overused.

Also, I don't dislike tattoos, I dislike TS
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Mar 22, 2014,
Uh, no. With what they usually charge I wouldn't tip for shit, they're taking more than enough.

And tattoos are great. I'm that person who's too worried about regretting it to actually get one but always asking you tons of questions about yours at parties.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
And tattoos are great. I'm that person who's too worried about regretting it to actually get one but always asking you tons of questions about yours at parties.

If you're like most people as long as you get one that's done well you won't regret it. You'll hear lots of people regret their meaningful tattoos because they turned out looking shitty. But you almost never hear anyone regret their tattoo if the art was done well, regardless of if it had a meaning or not.

The only instance I can think of would be if you got a religious one and then later gave up that religion. But most beliefs aren't as strong that they would overpower good artwork.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by caeser1156
If you're like most people as long as you get one that's done well you won't regret it. You'll hear lots of people regret their meaningful tattoos because they turned out looking shitty. But you almost never hear anyone regret their tattoo if the art was done well, regardless of if it had a meaning or not.

The only instance I can think of would be if you got a religious one and then later gave up that religion. But most beliefs aren't as strong that they would overpower good artwork.

So what you're saying is that I should definitely go for that huge portrait of my anime girlfriend?

I'm still considering it, still thinking over what I'd get and where I'd get it, why I want to get it etc.
If they do a really good job, then yes you should.
I can never think of a good sig.
Quote by deadsmileyface
I think this picture is funny, but it's official, it's been overused.

Also, I don't dislike tattoos, I dislike TS

I am the angel in that pic and it is not overused until I say it's overused.

And I don't say so yet.

Continue.
In USA you're absolutely supposed to tip the artist.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by captainsnazz
definitely not

this guy

this guy understands everyhting

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Mar 22, 2014,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I know you didn't mean it like this but if someone gets a tattoo to get asked questions at parties, they must be really boring.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Uh, no. With what they usually charge I wouldn't tip for shit, they're taking more than enough.

says the guy with no tats...
you should definitely tip the artist. They are holding a sharp, multi-needle instrument that is going to be piercing your skin. If for that one fact alone, you should tip them. Also, how would you like it if you went to a gig and played like a boss and no one tipped you? Would you ever want to interact with those people again? I think not. But its totally up to you dude.
Quote by Cb4rabid
I tipped the guy $10 I like how it came out.

You know how this goes.

Pics.
Quote by chev311e
You know how this goes.

Pics.

It's just a bass clef on the right side of my chest
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
I tipped the guy $10 I like how it came out.

how much was the original cost because $10 does not sound like an acceptable % on the price of a tattoo. i mean if you're gonna tip, do it right.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
how much was the original cost because $10 does not sound like an acceptable % on the price of a tattoo. i mean if you're gonna tip, do it right.

It was $60. So about 17%. I'd say that's more than reasonable considering all he did was stencil the bass clef onto me and fill it in.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
It was $60. So about 17%. I'd say that's more than reasonable considering all he did was stencil the bass clef onto me and fill it in.

how is that even worth a tip then?
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Also its not nice tipping the tattoo artist. He could really hurt you or mess up the tattoo.
Page 1 of 2