Ok so ill keep it simple as I can and ill post some links to the gear I'm referring too.

So I would like to build a rig, with The XLS crown amplifier as my source for tone, and id like to use a Line 6 POD HD500x multi effects floor board for the sound effects, now I'm am confused as to weather the HD500x is the pedal board or if i need to buy a board and i am actually really interested in the Midi FCB1010, so i know i need a cab and I'm currently looking for cabs with tight bass ( if you have any examples or can correct me here id appreciate it ).

Midi FCB1010 (foot pedal)
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

Crown amplifiers (there are multiple I'm not quite sure which is the best for guitar yet)
http://www.crownaudio.com

and the POD HD500x
http://line6.com/podhd/

Any input is appreciated! Thanks
Quote by Texx93a
So I would like to build a rig, with The XLS crown amplifier as my source for tone
I'm not sure you actually know what you wanna do.
So lemme break down something for you:
the things guitarists usually refer to as amps are either integrated amplifiers (heads) or amplified speakers (combos), and what you linked there isn't an integrated amplifier of any sort.

An integrated amplifier is a preamplifier + a power amplifier.
What you linked there is a power amplifier, and power amplifiers alone don't go along well with guitars.
Not by themselves at least.

And, most importantly, a power amplifier alone will not and could not in any way be your "source for tone" - it will make a signal louder.
No more no less.

Then, the POD HD500x isn't really a pedalboard.
Again, guitarists usually and most commonly use "pedalboard" to refer to a board on which pedals are placed, have a look at the pedalboard thread in this section to get an idea.
The POD is a thing with buttons and knobs and an expression control on it so you don't need a midi foot controller anyway, the POD already has the controls it needs.

The POD isn't only an effects processor in the common way you would think of an effects processor: it can simulate guitar amps and cabs characteristics, so you can use it with PA system and you will sound like you're playing through a guitar amp and cab even if you're not.
So you may wanna ask yourself, do I want a guitar cab, to play with the cabinet simulation disengaged, or a full range speakers setup to be used with the cabinet simulation engaged?

So, couple of questions now:
what do you actually want to do?
Why would you prefer a set of stuff over an actual guitar amp alone?
Why were you looking into crown xls's if you don't know what would be best for a guitar related application, as you wrote yourself?
What this rig will be used for?
How much money do you want to spend?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 22, 2014,
Alright id like to state that I'm working off of what I've been asking some seriously traveling/touring bands. (Years since the storm, Reflections ect.) so ive piece a lot of stuff together, and where the midi pedals and hd500x came together is i saw a band that both guitarist used the midi but one had a hd500x and the other used the axe fx.

So what i want to do, have a powerful rig that can handle low deep heavy palm mute and at the same time have a well rounded sound for lots of (above the 12 fret) shredding. I want to tour and get a great sound and be able to record, and id like a powerful effects processor and a 8+ foot pedal board so i could have lots of combo effects and solo effects.

I was talking to the guitarist of Reflections during a show so i could have mixed some information up, but he used a crown amp and said thats where they get their "tone".
Oh allright.
Though you didn't answer the most important question: what's your budget?

Then, about the amp, wither he didn't explain himself well or you got something wrong.
In that setup, all of the processing is done by the processor, so either the pod or the axe fx.
He most likely used a mic'd guitar cab and he used the crown xls to power that.

As for the midi foot controller I'm not sure if you fully get the concept: it's not like you can have more effects applied to your sound the more buttons you have, the buttons are only for switching settings on the processors.
What do you mean by "combo effects and solo effects" then, and what would you be thinking of using the switches on the controller for?
It makes sense to use a foot controller with the axe fx because it's a rack unit, though I don't see why one would use a midi foot controller with the pod we're talking about which already has lotsa switching options and buttons without any midi controller attached.

Anyway, you wanna djent there.
The effects processor is the important thing, so I'll try and advise you with some good setup options as soon as I'll hear what's your budget.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 22, 2014,
Alright, so the only idea behind "combo effects is" I know you always go clean and had the gain effect never visversa, so say i want to do some heavy chug chug chug then i want to through a phaser or a echo, nothing more than two at a time. So thats what i meant by the combo effects.

with that being said my budget is about 1000 bucks for the rig set up give a hundred or so.

and if you could direct me with how the set up works as in like we start at the processor into blank into a cab or however it works.
Quote by Texx93a
Ok so ill keep it simple as I can and ill post some links to the gear I'm referring too.

So I would like to build a rig, with The XLS crown amplifier as my source for tone, and id like to use a Line 6 POD HD500x multi effects floor board for the sound effects, now I'm am confused as to weather the HD500x is the pedal board or if i need to buy a board and i am actually really interested in the Midi FCB1010, so i know i need a cab and I'm currently looking for cabs with tight bass ( if you have any examples or can correct me here id appreciate it ).

Midi FCB1010 (foot pedal)
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

Crown amplifiers (there are multiple I'm not quite sure which is the best for guitar yet)
http://www.crownaudio.com
s

The Pod HD500X doesn't require any other MIDI pedalboard -- it's completely self contained. Everything is there.

The Crown amplifiers you're referring to have nothing to do with "tone." In fact, they're simply full-range power amplifiers designed to make whatever you put into them louder. They're excellent, and you should look at the Carvin equivalents while you're at it. All of the tone comes from the Pod, including the sounds of the amps and cabinets.

Generally speaking a setup like this works best with a full-range flat response cabinet. In effect, a PA type speaker that's fairly neutral. Many bass players use this kind of cabinet. Take a look at the Carvin LS-1503 as an example: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1503
Just to take this a bit further.

I have a rig something like what you're putting together. It starts with the Pod. If you have the HD500, it's pretty well self-contained, and there's editing software that you can use to tweak things. If you want to keep things very simple for home use, you can simply run it into a set of decent powered recording monitors. I have a set of KRK Rokit 8's that I also use for keyboards. Or you can use a good set of over-the-ear headphones (Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770's are good recommendations).

If you want to take things a level up, add the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B., which is an IR-based cabinet simulator (I think it produces better cabinet emulation than what's in the Pod). It's MIDI-based, and since the Pod itself can handle MIDI tasks, you can control it with a single stomp on the Pod.

The power amp you buy (Crown or otherwise) should be pretty dead-on neutral, but I wanted to have plenty of power, so I have an HD1500 Carvin (1500W bridged mono). Here's why -- if you have speaker cabinets that produce solid, clean bottom end, you need serious power. Every time your speaker needs to produce another octave down, the speaker needs to move four times the air to produce the same volume. And that means power. You're not there to ruin anyone's ears, but if you want clean reproduction of whatever your Pod is putting out (djent or otherwise), that power is handy to have. And the 1500W power amp is really only about $299.

Each of those Carvins has a 15" LF driver, a 6" mids driver and a 1" tweeter. Each one will handle upwards of 600-900W without a problem. I'm actually using an advanced version of that type of speaker (you can actually put them together yourself on a DIY basis) called the fEARful 15/6/1 and a slightly different version called the fEARless f115. You can check out the kits to build them on www.speakerhardware.com if you're interested. The fEARless f115 is a slightly modified version that's only available prebuilt from authorized builders.

This rig will blow Marshall stacks off the stage and give you tighter bass than anything remotely resembling standard guitar fare, and it'll be smaller and lighter to carry around as well. Flippin' girls can one-hand the cabinets (well, they can the fEARless cabs, anyway -- the Carvins are built of more traditional (heavier) stuff. The fEARful and fEARless cabinets were originally designed as flat response full range cabinets for bass players, but will actually work great as PA cabs as well.
Quote by dspellman
The Pod HD500X doesn't require any other MIDI pedalboard -- it's completely self contained. Everything is there.

The Crown amplifiers you're referring to have nothing to do with "tone." In fact, they're simply full-range power amplifiers designed to make whatever you put into them louder. They're excellent, and you should look at the Carvin equivalents while you're at it. All of the tone comes from the Pod, including the sounds of the amps and cabinets.

Generally speaking a setup like this works best with a full-range flat response cabinet. In effect, a PA type speaker that's fairly neutral. Many bass players use this kind of cabinet. Take a look at the Carvin LS-1503 as an example: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1503

Now when you refer to the PA system thats not really something people tour with I'm assuming, you are basically blessed or cursed with what the venue has correct? also when you say a "FLAT" cab you just mean a non-slanted cab correct? also will do on the carvin ill give it a look!
Quote by Texx93a
Now when you refer to the PA system thats not really something people tour with I'm assuming, you are basically blessed or cursed with what the venue has correct? also when you say a "FLAT" cab you just mean a non-slanted cab correct? also will do on the carvin ill give it a look!

No, a FLAT cabinet is one that has flat frequency response. Most guitar cabinets have crappy bottom end response (very often nothing at all below 110Hz, and remember that your low open E is 82Hz) and then build to a bump in the mids around 1000Hz, and then drop off rapidly above 4Khz. The Carvin speaker (for example) will reproduce from 52Hz to 18,000Hz with a variation of only about 3 dB. That's a fairly tightly controlled response that doesn't emphasize one part of the spectrum over another.

The reason for this is that your Pod HD500 (and/or the Torpedo C.A.B.) is already simulating the various guitar cabinets that you choose from their lists, so you do NOT want another guitar cabinet *adding* coloration to that simulation.

Some people tour with their own PA setups, but here in LA, for example, you will often walk into a club and find they have their own PA and their own sound guy(s). With the Pod, I usually just run directly into their mixer (or if I'm also playing keyboards or bass, I'll give them a feed from my own small mixer, and they'll run things from there. And yes, you're at their mercy <G>. In that case, I might still bring a power amp and cabinet just for a bit of stage volume if they have crappy monitors.
Quote by dspellman
Just to take this a bit further.

I have a rig something like what you're putting together. It starts with the Pod. If you have the HD500, it's pretty well self-contained, and there's editing software that you can use to tweak things. If you want to keep things very simple for home use, you can simply run it into a set of decent powered recording monitors. I have a set of KRK Rokit 8's that I also use for keyboards. Or you can use a good set of over-the-ear headphones (Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770's are good recommendations).

If you want to take things a level up, add the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B., which is an IR-based cabinet simulator (I think it produces better cabinet emulation than what's in the Pod). It's MIDI-based, and since the Pod itself can handle MIDI tasks, you can control it with a single stomp on the Pod.

The power amp you buy (Crown or otherwise) should be pretty dead-on neutral, but I wanted to have plenty of power, so I have an HD1500 Carvin (1500W bridged mono). Here's why -- if you have speaker cabinets that produce solid, clean bottom end, you need serious power. Every time your speaker needs to produce another octave down, the speaker needs to move four times the air to produce the same volume. And that means power. You're not there to ruin anyone's ears, but if you want clean reproduction of whatever your Pod is putting out (djent or otherwise), that power is handy to have. And the 1500W power amp is really only about $299.

Each of those Carvins has a 15" LF driver, a 6" mids driver and a 1" tweeter. Each one will handle upwards of 600-900W without a problem. I'm actually using an advanced version of that type of speaker (you can actually put them together yourself on a DIY basis) called the fEARful 15/6/1 and a slightly different version called the fEARless f115. You can check out the kits to build them on www.speakerhardware.com if you're interested. The fEARless f115 is a slightly modified version that's only available prebuilt from authorized builders.

This rig will blow Marshall stacks off the stage and give you tighter bass than anything remotely resembling standard guitar fare, and it'll be smaller and lighter to carry around as well. Flippin' girls can one-hand the cabinets (well, they can the fEARless cabs, anyway -- the Carvins are built of more traditional (heavier) stuff. The fEARful and fEARless cabinets were originally designed as flat response full range cabinets for bass players, but will actually work great as PA cabs as well.

Alright so you are recommending, a

Power amp (any recommendations appreciated )

the POD HD500x

A flat cabinet (Carvin or model or the fEARful or fEARless )
for the tight bass (which is what I'm looking for in a cab actually)

now if i have this right and if i don't please correct me, the tone comes from the pod but is boosted by the power amp?
But can't you can turn the cab modelling off on the HD500? If so then you can use a guitar cab of choice. In this case I'd say FRFR is probably the way to go but if you can turn cab modelling off and a really nice guitar cab popped up you could still use it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
But can't you can turn the cab modelling off on the HD500? If so then you can use a guitar cab of choice. In this case I'd say FRFR is probably the way to go but if you can turn cab modelling off and a really nice guitar cab popped up you could still use it.

Im not sure, i don't own the hd500 or hd500x this is a "soon to be" or theoretical set up I'm just researching and asking on the forums!
The question wasn't actually aimed at you. Somebody with a HD500 should know the answer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman
No, a FLAT cabinet is one that has flat frequency response. Most guitar cabinets have crappy bottom end response (very often nothing at all below 110Hz, and remember that your low open E is 82Hz) and then build to a bump in the mids around 1000Hz, and then drop off rapidly above 4Khz. The Carvin speaker (for example) will reproduce from 52Hz to 18,000Hz with a variation of only about 3 dB. That's a fairly tightly controlled response that doesn't emphasize one part of the spectrum over another.

The reason for this is that your Pod HD500 (and/or the Torpedo C.A.B.) is already simulating the various guitar cabinets that you choose from their lists, so you do NOT want another guitar cabinet *adding* coloration to that simulation.

Some people tour with their own PA setups, but here in LA, for example, you will often walk into a club and find they have their own PA and their own sound guy(s). With the Pod, I usually just run directly into their mixer (or if I'm also playing keyboards or bass, I'll give them a feed from my own small mixer, and they'll run things from there. And yes, you're at their mercy <G>. In that case, I might still bring a power amp and cabinet just for a bit of stage volume if they have crappy monitors.

Ok so it goes

Pod HD500x (which is what I'm really gunning for)
then power amp to boost the signal (HD1500Carvin)
Then cab Flat ( car vin, fEARful, fEARless) which is what you recommended

could you reccoment any brand names and off brand diamonds for me to check out for power amps and other cabs?
Last edited by Texx93a at Mar 23, 2014,
I'd say just get a good powered wedge to run the Pod into. A powered wedge is power amp and flat PA speaker in one unit and it points at your head. Always good to own your own wedge anyway.

Used is a good option, they can be had fairly cheap that way at times. Get something decent like JBL, Yamaha, Mackie, Altec, etc.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Can confirm the Cab and power amp modelling on the Pod HDs can be turned off. I run mine solely as a preamp into the power section of my Carvin V3. If you were set on using the Crown power amp, this would be the way to do it. Then you'd just need to pick a guitar cabinet to taste.
I see two things you can do here:
1. you get the pod and a big power amp and a couple big nice FRFR system, something like 2 cabs each with a 15" sub and 5" or so tweeter, plus a powered monitor for you, so each time you go playing a gig you already have your PA system big enough for most places and a monitor.
If the place's too big for your PA system chances are they'll have their own so you plug the pod into theirs and maybe you use your own monitor speaker on stage.

2. you get the pod, a small power amp and a guitar cab, so you have your cab to be mic'd everywhere they have their own PA system and mics (disengaging the cab simulation on the pod), and if the place's too small to have a PA you use the cab alone or if they have a PA but don't wanna mic things up you can plug the pod into the PA system directly with the cab simulation engaged.

To follow the first option though it's too expensive for your budget.
Well if you want something that sounds good at least.
So I'd say get a good cab and a good small power amp.

Here it was said you want a good, big power amp and a good, big cab if you want to get a good, big and full bass response, and that's true.
But where in the world did you write you want that?
'cause, y' know, "tight bass" means quite the opposite - to get the classical djent sound you need some things, among which there's a low cut filter put to taste between 100 and 200Hz.
More like 200 than 100 actually.
So, you don't really care about that if that's the thing you're gonna play most.
Chances are the cab simulation in the pod will cut the bass around 80Hz anyway, so I don't really see any reason why you wouldn't get a guitar cab instead of a bigger (hell of a lot more costly) PA system setup.

So, here's what I'd do for that money: I'd get a pod HD500x, whatever decent small (no more than 300w bridged at 4ohm with the ideal being 240) power amp and a custom cab with 4 v30s.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The HD500X and wedge solution would be the cheapest. At a gig you can feed one signal from the Pod to the desk and another to your wedge. Done and done. Simple, easy, **** all to transport, practical and good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Spambot_2
I see two things you can do here:
1. you get the pod and a big power amp and a couple big nice FRFR system, something like 2 cabs each with a 15" sub and 5" or so tweeter, plus a powered monitor for you, so each time you go playing a gig you already have your PA system big enough for most places and a monitor.
If the place's too big for your PA system chances are they'll have their own so you plug the pod into theirs and maybe you use your own monitor speaker on stage.

2. you get the pod, a small power amp and a guitar cab, so you have your cab to be mic'd everywhere they have their own PA system and mics (disengaging the cab simulation on the pod), and if the place's too small to have a PA you use the cab alone or if they have a PA but don't wanna mic things up you can plug the pod into the PA system directly with the cab simulation engaged.

To follow the first option though it's too expensive for your budget.
Well if you want something that sounds good at least.
So I'd say get a good cab and a good small power amp.

Here it was said you want a good, big power amp and a good, big cab if you want to get a good, big and full bass response, and that's true.
But where in the world did you write you want that?
'cause, y' know, "tight bass" means quite the opposite - to get the classical djent sound you need some things, among which there's a low cut filter put to taste between 100 and 200Hz.
More like 200 than 100 actually.
So, you don't really care about that if that's the thing you're gonna play most.
Chances are the cab simulation in the pod will cut the bass around 80Hz anyway, so I don't really see any reason why you wouldn't get a guitar cab instead of a bigger (hell of a lot more costly) PA system setup.

So, here's what I'd do for that money: I'd get a pod HD500x, whatever decent small (no more than 300w bridged at 4ohm with the ideal being 240) power amp and a custom cab with 4 v30s.

Ok so for the first option, What is a monitor for? I understand at the very least what to look for now with some understanding but i don't exactly know what the monitor is for.
When you're on stage you may wanna hear what you play and the speakers pointed at the audience won't help, so a monitor would be the solution.

A monitor speaker, not a computer monitor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
It isn't wise to rely totally on the PA foldback monitors for your guitar. Some places will have a simple foldback where everybody on stage is hearing the same mix. Put enough of your guitar through the wedges so you can hear it properly and the singer will punch you in the face. Best to have your own monitor of some type that is independent of what the sound guy is feeding you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification