I basically asked this in another section, but since this is the guitar section, does anyone know if the neck differences between these two would make a difference? They look like essentially the same guitar, but supposedly the neck is thicker on the Hellraiser. Im looking to sell my Hellraiser since I dont want the FR on it, the neck is pretty thick, and do a lot of downtuning. I like the neck on my Ibanez ART-300 alot for a comparison. So far the stats seem to show both as having a 25.5 scale, but everyone on here and elsewhere suggests the ESP LTD has a much slimmer neck profile and better upper fret access. Anyone know for sure?
Last edited by -Lateralus- at Mar 22, 2014,
Much, much slimmer neck. I've owned so many LTD Deluxes at this point that I know them better than pretty much any other brand.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Much, much slimmer neck. I've owned so many LTD Deluxes at this point that I know them better than pretty much any other brand.

Ok thanks. So you would say its somewhere inbetween an Ibanez and Schecter neck then? Closer to the Ibanez's? Also, is the better upper fret access true as well?
Basically take an Ibanez Wizard, add a millimeter, and make it rounder. It's nice.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Basically take an Ibanez Wizard, add a millimeter, and make it rounder. It's nice.

Is that the current version of the H-1001 btw? Ive heard the pre 2009 version is the one with the thinner neck while the 2010-2011+ versions are basically the same as the Schecter Hellraiser.
Nah, the neck profiles are super different still. I've owned so many different LTDs, dude. I have an MH400 from 06 and an Alex Wade sig from 2012, and I've owned a bunch of LTDs from the time in between.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Nah, the neck profiles are super different still. I've owned so many different LTDs, dude. I have an MH400 from 06 and an Alex Wade sig from 2012, and I've owned a bunch of LTDs from the time in between.

K, i'll take your advice then. While we are on the subject, I've also been looking at this one. Thinking I might go with this instead to replace both my guitars. I get the Gibson shape, but with 24 frets and Seymour Duncan pickups. Thoughts on it and the neck? I think I can actually try this one out since they have it in Guitar Center/George's Music near me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EC1000VBDR?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJ7_24Xfp70CFQ8OOgod9F4AJQ
I currently own an EC-1000, actually. really really enjoy it.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I did not like the neck on my EC-1000VB at all.

I've also owned a good number of LTDs (M-200, H-301, V-50, MH-400, EC-1000).

The M aside because that's a different profile, the EC was really really out there. It was not anything like what I love about the Thin U.

My EC-1000 was more of a D shape than a U shape, and D is my least favorite shape. The Thin U neck should be thick enough to have some meat to grip, but have a consistently round curve, with no hard shoulders. The EC had a good amount of wood on it, but it was a really hard D shape. I have no idea why. It really made me sad, because it showed how inconsistent the necks are. They're supposed to all be the same, but they're obviously not.

TL;DR Try before you buy if you can. When I think of the ESP/LTD feel, I think of my H-301. That is a masterpiece right there, IMO. The most comfortable guitar I've played so far. The neck is just right (and the massive belly cut helps a lot).

(Yes, I know that this post is filled with sexual innuendos. No it wasn't intentional, and no I'm not taking the time to make them PC.)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The only real difference between the standard ESP neck and the standard Schecter neck is the ESP has the very tip of the rounded portion shaved off flat. The 'shoulders' of the profile are nearly identical. It is fair to say that the Schecter is a 'D' shape while the ESP is a 'U' shape. Anybody who can play well on one will play fine on the other, too. The difference is minimal at best.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.