I played a Vox SDC55 a while ago and It played like butter and really got me into guitar buying mode but as far as I know they’re not produced anymore and that one sold a day or so after I played it. I think its time I get something more than my Special 2 and Squire Pack Strat / can’t use my current guitars in my current band (Heavier “Grunge” Alt/Punk stuff). So here I am. Also Trying to get a crappy poppunk band together.

Guitar for “Grunge”, Punk, 90's Emo/Pop Punk and Alt. rock

Budget? - $300-800? lower the better really

Genre- Blues(my 5th avenue will cover this mainly)
Punk/Hardcore(Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, Bikini Kill, Black Flag)
Pop punk/Pop Rock (Ramones, Blink,All Time Low, My Chemical Romance, Greenday)
Alt.( A LOT of Nirvana, some Smashing pumpkins, Soundgarden, The Smiths, Foos, REALLY like John's Clean in Red Hot Chilli Peppers ect)
Rock (Queen, GnR/Slash),
Metal (just some Sabbath really)

think Nirvana, My Chemical Romance, Smashing Pumpkins, Brian May and Greenday for the main drive tones. maybe a john frusciante or Johnny Marr-esque cleans?

Gig or home? Gig and possibly record with this guitar

Preferences?
Im open for all shapes really aside from "metal" guitars, but Ive been looking at LP Jr’s (DC and SC), DC Voxes and Jazzmasters though.
Not too sure about SG's as the neck feels really long in my hands.
hard Bridge is preferable but not a must have.
No Floyd's or anything simular to one.
Thinner necks no Baseball Bats.
satin finishes are nice.

Pickups? Passives, Bridge must be a Humbucker. I do a lot of lead stuff on the neck Pup aswell.

New or Used? preferably new but it really doesn’t matter. I find it hard to find stuff used where Im at.

Location? Near Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, but There is a Guitar Center in Maine I can travel to if needs be.

Current Gear? - I currently Run; Squire Strat/Epi Special 2/ Godin 5th avenue > MXR Super Badass distortion >Boss Chorus > Boss Octave > H&K Tube Meister 5 > H&K 112 will be adding a OD/Fuzz and maybe a delay soon.

Alternatively is there anything I can do to any of my current gear to give it more of the tones Im looking for (Emphasis on the Godin) ?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Mar 28, 2014,
I might say something like an LTD EC-1000 with Duncans. 24 frets, Duncan JB/59 set.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Try looking at some Ibanez's, they've got great value models that really do everything you could want it to.
Quote by Primus2112
does john bender look stupid

fuck no
Where are you in NB? Tony's Music Box in Fredericton is great for Fender's, so they would do well for your Jazzmaster. Other than that, you'll probably be looking at L&M. There's a couple other stores that sometimes have some gems, but it tends to be pretty hit and miss.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Those Reverends (mainly the Sensei and the Manta Ray) seem great!

since the manta ray is semi-hollow wouldn't it feedback easly?

Any suggestions on Jazzmasters?
Godin 5th Avenue
--
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
Last edited by boblittle at Mar 23, 2014,
Feedback with semihollows is dependent on details. They're not all made the same, so for some its easier than others. I wish I could tell you about the Mantas in particular, but I don't have one...

Yet.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I find it amusing that you place All Time Low as being more credible than My Chemical Romance. I'd think it was the other way around.

Anyhoo.

The first thing which leaps to my mind when reading all that is either a Gibson SGJ, or Special or other stripped-down SG; you could pick one up second hand in your budget, though a new SGJ can be bought within your budget. They're solidly built, if a little dull. The pickups are good all-rounders, maybe a touch hot and modern for traditional blues playing but bang-on for all the stuff you mentioned in the middle.
You may be able to find a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Faded or Vintage Mahogany model in your price range. These all have very slightly thinner bodies than normal LPs, making them lighter weight (and giving them marginally better upper fret access), but are otherwise stripped-down versions of regular LPs. They do tend to cost a little more than the SG equivalents, and I don't think you could buy one new. But it's another option which wll provide you with a guitar well-built enough and versatile to stand up to whatever you throw at it.

If you fancy moving to a longer scale length, take a look at the Fender Blacktop, Deluxe (not American Deluxe) and Classic Player series. Any of them with humbuckers will do. I do not believe they are as well-built as the Gibson options, but they're built solidly enough. No specific model is better than the others; the only real difference is the shape of the body, which barely effects the sound.

For something in the middle, you could pick up a PRS SE guitar. They're not as well-made as the Gibsons, but they equal the Fenders. They're probably the most versatile option available to you, but I do think that buying a higher-quality guitar is more important, for most people.

I am a little bias as I favour Gibson and Gibson-style instruments myself, but even putting that aside, the fact is that the Gibsons are more or less the only MIA or MIJ guitars you can buy in your price range which will come with moderate or high-output humbuckers. Objectively, they're the best option. Things like the ESP LTD Deluxe line do come with suitable pickups, too, but you're taking a drop in build, hardware and wood quality.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Tried some SG's today. The SGJ and the Special played extraordinarily well What's the big difference between the two? is it just the Pickups?
Godin 5th Avenue
--
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
Last edited by boblittle at Aug 20, 2014,