I'm just beginning the guitar, like @ a week into it. I'm using a borrowed Burswood(sp) guitar.
I can only play 3 chords Em,A, and D, and not very good most of the time.
I have been working on 1 strumming pattern D DU UDU.
The tips of my fingers hurt so much I could only play @15 mins today.
I'm going to get my own guitar next month for my birthday if I can get the hang of it before then.
My main goal is to be able to play Praise and worship songs, at home at Bible study and maybe one day at Church.
Any tips on starting out? Like best place for lessons?
Also tips on guitar? I think I might go with full acoustic but not sure I might go acoustic/electric. Budget is going to be no more than @$400-450. Cheaper would be better for me but I want something that sounds nice too.

Any advice will be welcomed.
Quote by Jamos5790
I'm just beginning the guitar, like @ a week into it. I'm using a borrowed Burswood(sp) guitar.
I can only play 3 chords Em,A, and D, and not very good most of the time.
I have been working on 1 strumming pattern D DU UDU.
The tips of my fingers hurt so much I could only play @15 mins today.
I'm going to get my own guitar next month for my birthday if I can get the hang of it before then.
My main goal is to be able to play Praise and worship songs, at home at Bible study and maybe one day at Church.
Any tips on starting out? Like best place for lessons?
Also tips on guitar? I think I might go with full acoustic but not sure I might go acoustic/electric. Budget is going to be no more than @$400-450. Cheaper would be better for me but I want something that sounds nice too.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Well, you know what they say about anything physical in nature, "no pain, no gain".

You fingers will toughen up in time, stay with it.

My advice is always to go with an acoustic / electric, rather than a pure acoustic.

It's a PITA to put in pickups later, and nobody does it as well as the factory.

Besides, more often than not, I plug in all my acoustics, in order to use ambiance effects like delay, reverb, and chorus. Also, you can use the guitar's tone controls to set different tonalities, for different songs. Realistically, sometimes you want, "sting", and sometimes you want, thud". (you can even overdrive the amp's input a bit for some "chug" (pre-gain way up, post gain way down)).

But, if I were you, the very next thing I would do, is learn G, C, & E major chords.

(and E major is really only putting one more finger down with the E minor chord).

Believe it or not, that will take you much further than the 3 you know now. And really, once you have all six chords down, the sky's the limit. If you learn F major too, you will have the makings of four major keys. (G, C, D)= G major, (A, D, E)= A major. (D, G, & A)= D major, and finally, (C, F, & G), = C major

You can go here: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php for some decent free lessons.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 23, 2014,
Haha! I remember when I first started, my calluses would tear open and I would super glue them together so I could keep playing.

If you were my student, I'd recommend you learn the Chromatic scale. (A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G# and back to A again.)

Now do the major scale in every key, now learn this scale: 1 Major, 2 minor, 3 minor, 4 major, 5 major, 6th minor and 7 diminished. Then you have 6-7 chords you can play in every key.

Next learn how to bar chord, now combined with the Chromatic scale, you can play anywhere over the neck.

Now learn the cage system, which teaches you different chord shapes that you can play all over the neck of the guitar.

Next learn parallel minor, so you can borrow chords outside of the diatonic scale. (The Major scale or also known as Doe, Ray, Me, Fa, So, La, De, Doe or the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.)

While you're going through these lessons, keep learning tabs and cover songs you can play. Eventually you'll come over to the dark side and write your own material. (:
Quote by NewDayHappy
Haha! I remember when I first started, my calluses would tear open and I would super glue them together so I could keep playing.

If you were my student, I'd recommend you learn the Chromatic scale. (A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G# and back to A again.)

Now do the major scale in every key, now learn this scale: 1 Major, 2 minor, 3 minor, 4 major, 5 major, 6th minor and 7 diminished. Then you have 6-7 chords you can play in every key.

Next learn how to bar chord, now combined with the Chromatic scale, you can play anywhere over the neck.

Now learn the cage system, which teaches you different chord shapes that you can play all over the neck of the guitar.

Next learn parallel minor, so you can borrow chords outside of the diatonic scale. (The Major scale or also known as Doe, Ray, Me, Fa, So, La, De, Doe or the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.)

While you're going through these lessons, keep learning tabs and cover songs you can play. Eventually you'll come over to the dark side and write your own material. (:

wow, that's alot to take in in such a short amount of time. for a little while, just worry about that last paragraph.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
if you can only play for 15 minutes, i'm guessing (expecting, really) that your guitar needs to be set up. or you could use extra light strings. since the guitar you're using isn't yours, i guess there's not much you can do about this, but guitar got a lot easier

and don't play through too much pain - i used to play when my fingertips were bleeding, but it's not a good idea. at very least, you'll keep destroying your calluses over and over like i di, and at the most could cause a little nerve damage. lower tension strings or a well set up guitar or both can make a huge difference here.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 23, 2014,
Quote by patticake
if you can only play for 15 minutes, i'm guessing (expecting, really) that your guitar needs to be set up. or you could use extra light strings. since the guitar you're using isn't yours, i guess there's not much you can do about this, but guitar got a lot easier

and don't play through too much pain - i used to play when my fingertips were bleeding, but it's not a good idea. at very least, you'll keep destroying your calluses over and over like i di, and at the most could cause a little nerve damage. lower tension strings or a well set up guitar or both can make a huge difference here.

Thanks Yeah I think the guitar has HIGH action. Im not sure how "light" the strings are but I might into getting some.

I pain has gotten somewhat better today though I'm not sure why, maybe calluses are starting to form.

I got to play for 3 different times for @15-20 min each today. I would just alternate practicing chords with strumming when fingers started to get sore.

As far as my search for guitars I'm probably leaning towards a Seagull S6 Original or a Yamaha. I like both of the sounds those produce. I'm not sure which Yamaha it was cause I listened to a few but I think it was a FG700S or a FG730S. Any pros or cons between those?

I have decided to go full acoustic not acoustic/electric cause I figure I could get a nicer sounding guitar for the same money and seeing how funds are limited I want to get the most for my buck.
well then, of your 3 choices that's a tough one. all are excellent guitars for the money. if it were me, i'd probably go 730S,S6,700S. there aren't really any cons to those three.
i'd get the Fg730S and use the leftover for a good "set up" so that the guitar is as playable as possible saving your fingers unneccessary pain.
for me, of those you list, the S6 is the one - in fact, i exchanged my FG730 for one. but they're all 3 good guitars with good tone. and definitely get a set-up if possible. btw, most guitars are strung with lights, which were hard on my fingertips, where extras lights were easier on them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by NewDayHappy

Quote by stepchildusmc
wow, that's alot to take in in such a short amount of time. for a little while, just worry about that last paragraph.
Ah you know Step, sometimes you get a post that really isn't designed to help. It's more to the end of telling a noob how much you know.
Thanks guys for all the insight and help, I'm going back to the guitar shop this week with a friend hopefully to look again.I think I'm gonna pick those guitars I mentioned and maybe one or two more in my price range and make sure they are in tune then get my friend to play them while I look away so that I can base my decision on the sound more than looks.

Ok one more thing if I think the FG700s sounds as good as the others would it be smart to go ahead and buy the FGX700SC with the pickup built in?
Last edited by Jamos5790 at Mar 24, 2014,
I'm pretty new at playing the guitar too, but I went with an acoustic / electric because I wanted the flexibility and, it really wasn't that much more money.. I'm using rocksmith to learn a little bit and tons of youtube videos.. When I was researching I had the FGX700SC and the Seagull S6 QI both on my list but ended up getting a Breedlove instead, it just felt and sounded right to me, Either way I don't think you could go wrong with any of those, I do recommend play them in the store, practice some of the chords you've been working on.

The right guitar will just feel and sound right to you, you'll just know it..

Good Luck!!
there's nothing wrong with getting built in electronics. in fact i usually recommend it. there is the odd case where it isnt necessary.... like a current running thread.
if you plan on using an amp in the future or even your PS3(which i've been guilty of occasionally) or laptop(guilty of a lot ! ), the built in electronics are handy as hell ! it is better in my opinion to get the guitar with electronics. there will come a time when you have enough experience and a better "ear" for playing that you'll want to have a praticular pickup system installed but, that should be years from now.