So, here's the deal: I'm beginning to use pedals. I've been playing around a year, and I was wondering what some good, low-cost pedals are. I'm mostly looking for an overdrive pedal, a wah pedal, and a a delay pedal. I mostly play hard rock, such as Van Halen, Def Leppard, and Scorpions. I also play newer stuff, such as Shinedown and Foo Fighters. Ideally, I would like to spend no more than about $40 per pedal. I currently use a PRS SE Custom 24 and a Peavey Ultra 112 amp.
One of the best cheap distortions is a Marshall Jackhammer. Doesn't have that compressed hi gain sound like a Metal Zone.

Wah I'd say find a used Crybaby, it's a classic. They're a dime a dozen on craigslist and ebay.

Delay your best bet is a Boss. Or if you wanna spend the extra dough for a pro level one get a DL4.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'm not a seasoned pro or anything but I highly recommend a multifx. Most multifx have a variety of each type of pedal. Beyond that, a lotta multifx make it fairly obvious exactly which specific brand and type pedal they're trying to mimic. Its an excellent way to start and build from there. Sure the "Great Muff" on a G3 doesn't sound as good as an EHX Big Muff (actually its really close, but just an example) but if you prefer the "Great Muff" over the "Fuzz Smile" on a G3, odds are you'll prefer a Big Muff variant over a Fuzz Face variant. Makes it easier than buying blind based off a description.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ I agree with him about that too. I got a Boss GT-6 I live an die by. Any effects I want and I bought the whole unit used for $125.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I had all the digitech gnx series pedals and a boss gt8.

I would still recommend standard MXR and Boss pedals over those anyday. You can pick up a SD1, Modified OD, GT OD or a Digitech Bad Monkey used for about 40 bucks. Even the best multi fx pedals only come 70% of the way to the real thing always leaving you wanting more. Unless you get something like an Axe FX which is very high priced.

Chances are if its an overdrive on your favorite guitarists pedalboard it's either a SD1 or a tubescreamer flavor (like a Bad Monkey). So if you can get the real thing in your price range I'd skip the multi fx.

One of those OD's and a used crybaby would be in your price range. A Joyo delay could work. Sometimes a DD3 pops up on ebay for 60 bucks. A decent delay is rarely cheap so it'll be harder to fit this in your budget.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 23, 2014,
Overdrive - Ibanez Tube Screamer or some variant, Maxon OD808 is a good one.
Wah - Dunlop Crybaby, but try a few different models them and find one that has the sweep eq you want.
Delay - Boss DD-3, still the only delay I have, amazing pedal. Works great for that 80's Hard Rock lead tone.

I do recommend learning to solder and buying and building pedal kits, it will save you so much money.
Websites like these are your friend
http://buildyourownclone.com/
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by lucky1978
I'm not a seasoned pro or anything but I highly recommend a multifx. Most multifx have a variety of each type of pedal. Beyond that, a lotta multifx make it fairly obvious exactly which specific brand and type pedal they're trying to mimic. Its an excellent way to start and build from there. Sure the "Great Muff" on a G3 doesn't sound as good as an EHX Big Muff (actually its really close, but just an example) but if you prefer the "Great Muff" over the "Fuzz Smile" on a G3, odds are you'll prefer a Big Muff variant over a Fuzz Face variant. Makes it easier than buying blind based off a description.

+1

I have a G3 on my board & it's an excellent pedal. With my band, I use it in my amp's loop for modulation & delays with separate pedals in front of my amp for drives etc, but at home I have it set up to use for headphone practice & it's effects & amp models do a great job of mimicking my live sound.

Multi effect pedals are always a good investment for someone starting out in the effects world, as you get everything you'll ever need and can use them to determine exactly what you really want before investing in loads of separate pedals, each of which can cost as much if not more than you paid for your multifx
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Mar 23, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
compressed hi gain sound like a Metal Zone.

That's not the issue at all with the Metal Zone. Obviously any distortion will add compression as compression is similar to distortion, just without clipping the signal and not going over the peak.

The problem is that the EQ blows and it sounds scooped to hell, giving it a can-of-bees sound.
Quote by Clay-man
That's not the issue at all with the Metal Zone. Obviously any distortion will add compression as compression is similar to distortion, just without clipping the signal and not going over the peak.

The problem is that the EQ blows and it sounds scooped to hell, giving it a can-of-bees sound.

Lol well you know what I mean. I always felt it sounded over-compressed, like on top of what's normal for a dirtbox.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Digitech Bad Monkey - $30 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-DIGITECH-BAD-MONKEY-109835286-i3682976.gc
Dunlop Crybaby - $35 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-DUNLOP-CRYBABY-CLASSIC-WAH-W-FASEL-109969591-i3677578.gc
Garagetone Axle Grease - $40 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-VISUAL-SOUND-GARAGETONE-AXLE-GREASE-DELAY-PEDAL-109943720-i3682899.gc

Done and done.

Not bad stuff at all.

EDIT: If you can find an Ibanez DE7 for a price you're willing to pay, absolutely get it. There's one on GC now for $50, I put the Garagetone instead to keep it all at $40 max. The DE7 is the best budget delay I've heard. It sounds way better than its pricetag, just like most of the "7" series (though I wouldn't ever pay over $40 for one. Then the value starts to diminish).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 23, 2014,
boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey for the od

wah- crybaby i guess?

delay- boss or digitech are pretty good if you can find them for that price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Offworlds list is good, but I'd look at a used Morley Wah instead of the Cry Baby
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate