I've always been a fan of Line 6 stuff (specifically their Soldano models) but as we all know, when you crank them, they start losing sound quality, however, how do the half stacks hold up? With a powerful cab, could you get super loud without losing that quality? ESPECIALLY through a PA/stereo cab? Also, I've heard varying opinions, but why is the Spider III more popular than the Spider IV?

Anyway, seriously considering just buying a Spider III/IV head and connecting it to my stereo speakers if it can handle high volumes when the volume knob isn't turned up very high.

Still dreaming of a Roland Cube head...
Don't do it, one you'll blow up he head and two spiders sound like ass
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Spiders sound great if you know how to dial in tone, the only problem is that they lose quality the louder they get, I just figure if I keep it on a medium setting through a loud speaker set up, it should be loud and good quality, though I'm also just considering a Boss ME-25 or some floor pod
Last edited by Velcro Man at Mar 23, 2014,
This is the reason that tube amps are generally used for loud applications. Regardless of how "loud the speakers are" (the volume comes from the head, the speakers only go as loud as your head drives them), cheap solid state heads aren't going to generally sound great loud. I'm not sure what you're on about with connecting it to stereo speakers and whatnot.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. You seem to like Line 6 modeling stuff. Get yourself a Flextone or Vetta. You'll find they sound loads better at all volumes. They are still a solid state modeler, but they're good ones. Better yet, a Spider Valve, which will sound better as it gets turned up. If you can stand it not saying Line 6 on the front, the Peavey Vypyr Tube is possibly a small step above the Spider Valve, with similar functions.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'm not really a fan boy or anything, I'm just on an uber limited budget and I really like what Line 6 products offers at an affordable price. But my combo sounded pretty good up past 5, so I'm just wondering if a half stack on 5 (which would be much louder) would sound the same, just...louder. I mean, for playing by myself, smaller practice amps are MORE than enough, but I've been playing to start going out and playing with groups and stuff and I'd need something that could at least compete with a drumset, I suppose.

Really, my dream amp is one of the Roland Chorus amps with a decent multi-effects board (Boss ME-80 or one of the Line 6 HD floor units) or a Carvin Legacy III (hnnng) If I were to go Peavey, I think I'd be looking for a used Valveking, there's a few on my local craigslist in the 200+ range, which isn't bad for a decent 2x12, though, wasn't aware they did Vypyr tubes, hmm.

From what I've seen, those Line 6 Spider Valves are just incredible, but they're up in that pro level price range :/
You really should go to guitar center and try different amps. I think your ears will be enlightened a little. If you like the soldano model but you're on a tight budget, definitely check out Jet City amps (even if you're budget affords more).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
You really should go to guitar center and try different amps. I think your ears will be enlightened a little. If you like the soldano model but you're on a tight budget, definitely check out Jet City amps (even if you're budget affords more).
This.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Jet City doesn't offer built in effects and stuff. I'm one of those people that loves experimenting with many different sounds, so I need something with at LEAST chorus, delay, decent overdrive, cleans and that nice kinda lead sound.

I'd rather sacrifice the volume to jam for sounds that spark my creativity.
99/100 times there are effects in the amp i wouldn't consider. the exception would be vypyr tubes with a san pera pedal.

if you want effects buy a podHD and plug that into either an amp or a powered speaker. if gigging just plug in to the board. thats it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
99/100 times there are effects in the amp i wouldn't consider. the exception would be vypyr tubes with a san pera pedal.

if you want effects buy a podHD and plug that into either an amp or a powered speaker. if gigging just plug in to the board. thats it.

I like the built-in Line 6 effects vOv

Also, budget, podHD + an amp would be a rather pricey package, not looking to spend much, I'd rather invest in an acoustic, classical, banjo, mandola and so on than a high dollar amp set up. I'll just demo a line 6 spider halfstack at guitar center next time I go, I can't imagine needing to pump up the volume to a level that would cause it to sound badly.
Quote by Velcro Man
I like the built-in Line 6 effects vOv

Also, budget, podHD + an amp would be a rather pricey package, not looking to spend much, I'd rather invest in an acoustic, classical, banjo, mandola and so on than a high dollar amp set up. I'll just demo a line 6 spider halfstack at guitar center next time I go, I can't imagine needing to pump up the volume to a level that would cause it to sound badly.

my apologies, however you never mentioned your budget, so i just say what i would do or have done.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
my apologies, however you never mentioned your budget, so i just say what i would do or have done.

It's all good, I just can't conceive investing significant amounts of money into one particular tone, I suppose some people do have their own sound and have no need to change it, but I like the sound and experience of EVERYTHING, it just makes me think different and I feel I get much more. I love experimentation and changing things up makes you more creative, you do things you normally wouldn't do. It's just that the difference between the Line 6 overdrive sound and the sound of a $2,000 amp just doesn't justify the price difference. It's not like it radically changes anything, it's just so slight when comparing it to the differences of an electric to an acoustic to a bass and so on. You can get the same basic sounds, it's just the cheaper one won't be QUITE as good, but really, you can still play everything the same and feel exactly the same. The audience surely won't notice a difference. If you DO have the money, definitely go for it, but growing up in extreme poverty teaches you that indulging a large sum of money for something that's not gonna change everything isn't really worth it, unless you have a lot to spare. Remaining in poverty doesn't help matters much either lol

Anyway, I'll just see when I find a good deal and maybe eventually save up for something like a Spider Valve (which IS just about worth it, even when you are low on cash, those things are the tits) or the 80 watt Roland Cube.
Good modelers exist. No one is trying to say otherwise.

The Peavey Vypyr and the VIP variant trump the Spider many times over. The Spider is hilariously limited in FX compared to the Vypyr. It doesn't even have true paramters.

Line 6 also makes good modelers, see the Vetta and the HD147 that was mentioned before.

We're not really saying that solid state is bad, or that modelers are bad, as much as we're saying that just Spiders are bad.

Anyway, I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP-3 right now, and I would highly recommend it to you. It will run circles around any Spider out in terms of amp model selection, effect quality and editing ability, and general sound quality.

One of the guitarists in my band uses a Spider Valve MkII and a matching cab with V30s, and the tone out of that thing still sucks. A tube poweramp can only do so much. The preamp is where all the tone shaping happens. And that's the bad part.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Good modelers exist. No one is trying to say otherwise.

The Peavey Vypyr and the VIP variant trump the Spider many times over. The Spider is hilariously limited in FX compared to the Vypyr. It doesn't even have true paramters.

(...)

Anyway, I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP-3 right now, and I would highly recommend it to you. It will run circles around any Spider out in terms of amp model selection, effect quality and editing ability, and general sound quality.

I agree.

A Peavey Vypyr would be an infinitely better choice.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Modelers, pfft. Who needs a modeler when you've got an RM100?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I agree if you want a Line 6, get a used Flextone, HD147, Vetta I/II or a Spider Valve. I owned a few spiders over the years and they are OK for practicing, but live they are just missing something. I had a Spider II HD150 then I had the Spider Valve. The spider valve is/was the best out of them all IMO.

I agree If you want a Soldano tone, look at Jet City, they are budget Soldano's or look for an old Yamaha T100/T50. The T100/T50 are Soldanos first attempt at a lower cost version of his amps and they sound quite good.

I would forget the built in FX honestly and get a good amp, you can always get a less expensive multi FX that is much better than what comes in the Spider series. All I ever used was the reverb because the other FX were pretty crappy to be honest.

I second the Peavey Vypyr tube if you have to have built in FX.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Line 6 has made a bunch of modelling amp heads which sound just fine cranked up:
Flextone series
Vetta series
HD147
Spider Valve series
DT series when paired with an HD floor unit.

Of those, the DT & HD option is quite expensive, the Spider Valves require a lot of patience to get a nice tone out of* and the other three are no longer in production (though Flextones and HD147s are very hard to damage and can be found second hand in good condition fairly easily).

I've used an HD147 for years. It's still one of the few pieces of gear I've owned for long without ever thinking about selling. Though I am now using a Marshall JVM amp, the HD147 is still my backup and I am just as happy using it. I still maintain that for any kind of alternative, industrial, dark wave or gothic hard rock/metal, it is the best amp for the job, bar none, and it's a more-than-adequate amp for standard pop, too. It's also the only I will ever use when using a 7-string guitar. The Flextone and Vetta series are part of the same family as the HD147, and I have found them to be equally as good; the Flextone is just a little stripped down, while the Vetta is like two HD147s taped together. If you're comfortable with solid state amplifiers and you want flexible modelling at a loud volume, they will get the job done.

I do not believe it is true that the other Spider units lose any 'quality' when you set them louder. I think it is more a case of their bad elements being better hidden when you keep the amp quiet, and in the case of the combo units, their stock speakers just not being up to the challenge of delivering gigging volumes competently.

*I've tried using Spider Valves, having used the HD147 for years, and couldn't get a sound I liked. I know that Lacuna Coil also made the jump from HD147s to the Spider Valve and did eventually get sounds they liked, but not until the second batch of firmware was released for the MkII version of the amp and that was a couple of years after they first began using them. Word is if they weren't being endorsed by Line 6 to use the latest amps, they would have gone back to the HD147. The key to getting a good tone out of the Spider Valves is, apparently, to get the MkII version and download the latest firmware which gives you an additional EQ option so you can shape the tone beyond what the EQ knobs on the front panel allow.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Once again, I'll plug for the Vypyr Tube. They can be had for $250-300 and have all the built in toys you want, and they sound pretty nice. The 6505 model is pretty spot on IMO.

I liked the SpiderValve I tried. I did spend a good long while dialing in a tone I like. Definitely a tweakers amp. It wasn't quite as good as the Vypyr Tube though, and is a bit more expensive used.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Mar 23, 2014,