drummers: how do you learn songs? Do you listen or look at tabs?

Just wondering because I have a friend who is a good drummer and I want him to learn a few songs. Do you just listen to it and know it or what? Thanks.
My old band's drummer would listen to something once and could play it all the way through.
He was probably some kind of anomaly, I think your answer is really dependent on the person. I have only met one drummer who can read drum tabs, since they require the ability to read rhythm.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
The drummer in my band learns by listening mostly, but for more complicated songs he says there's usually drum lessons specific to the song on youtube.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by 457undead
Do you think a band like the Smashing Pumpkins can be learned by listening?

Sure. Why not?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 457undead

Yes. And it's really only important to learn the song structure and the more memorable fills/accents.
Quote by 457undead

Yeah. The drums aren't particularly technical on that song or anything. I think it's a lot easier to learn drum parts by ear rather than other music, simply because of the fact that it's a lot more obvious which drum is playing on a recording than what note a guitar is playing, for example. You can differentiate a snare from a kick drum far more obviously than a 4th from a 5th.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."