Allright everyone, I just got an electric guitar and I am looking for an amp to buy. Any suggestions?

Have been playing for 1.5 years.

Playing at :
Home, possibly recording, some gigs with my band(bassist, drumer, lead singer).

Price range :
230 - 270 $

Favourite bands, musicians :
MUSE, Green Day, RHCP, Katy Perry, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park.

Favourite music styles :
Classical Rock, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock, styles of the above mentioned bands/musicians, maybe some metal riffs, if they sound good for me.

Current guitar :
A cheap stratocaster rip-off (although sounds quite good).

Currently I had an eye on Roland 20X. Any other suggestions?

P.S. Would be great if you gave me suggestions from this page : http://muzikavisiems.lt/16-kubai-elektrinms-gitaroms

P.S.S.(1 $ ~ 2.6 LTL) The price range in LTL - 600 - 700 LTL.
Last edited by geduxxx66 at Mar 23, 2014,
On that list I think the Roland would be your best option.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I've always really liked Roland's. I think for their price they're exceptional. The speakers are pretty shitty generally, but if you're going cheap on an amp you can't really ask for high end speakers.
And what if I increased the price range? For example to 310$? Any suggestions?
A Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr would be the best options for you.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
A Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr would be the best options for you.

What's so good about Peavy Vypyr?
Quote by geduxxx66

Its sound quality, tonal versatility, reliability and build quality.

I'd put the Roland Cube in a very close second place to it, though.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by geduxxx66

The good thing about the Vypyr is there's a lot of variation in tone due to it being a modeling amp. It's also cheap as dirt from most retailers.

The Roland Cube will also do some variation, albeit not quite to the same extent. It's also a bit more expensive, but then again it may sound better to you.

In any case, what I'd reccommend is try to find a nearby guitar store and play everything within your budget at the sound level you're going to be using it at (no sense cranking a bedroom practice amp up to 11).
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Linkerman
Its sound quality, tonal versatility, reliability and build quality.

I'd put the Roland Cube in a very close second place to it, though.

Well, I'd definatelly check it out, but the fact that the local shop does not have it and are unable to ship it, as the provider does not buy it. So I am left with all the shop has. I provided the link in the first post, possibly could you check up, what is worth checking out? Thanks a big one.
Quote by geduxxx66
Well, I'd definatelly check it out, but the fact that the local shop does not have it and are unable to ship it, as the provider does not buy it. So I am left with all the shop has. I provided the link in the first post, possibly could you check up, what is worth checking out? Thanks a big one.

If you didn't need an amp versatile enough to play such different music genres, the Laney Cub 10 would be an excellent option, and that store has it and fits your budget.

Other than that, given your budget and the fact that you have to choose from that store, i guess the Roland Cube is the way to go.

Can't you buy from another store, like Thomann or Music Store?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
The Roland Cube and Vyper are equal, I would say. They're so close to each other I don't think it's worth paying more for one than the other; buy whichever is cheaper and it'll be fine.
The biggest problem, if you want to play shows, is being able to afford enough power. To be heard over drums and bass you can get away with as little as 20w with one speaker, but to be heard well you really want to get at least 40w and/or two speakers. Or you could get a valve amp with less power, but then that costs more anyway.

Consider looking for a second hand amplifier. Solid state amps like the Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr are hard to damage, so second hand ones are usually okay and it means you can save money or buy a more powerful version without spending any more money. See if you can find one of the more powerful Vypyr or Cube amps second hand at a good price.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Linkerman

Other than that, given your budget and the fact that you have to choose from that store, i guess the Roland Cube is the way to go.

Can't you buy from another store, like Thomann or Music Store?

Well, that is the only store with normal prices as the other one not far from it takes like 1,5x more cash for their items.

I am from Lithuania and there are no shops here such Thomann or Musicstore.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Roland Cube and Vyper are equal, I would say. They're so close to each other I don't think it's worth paying more for one than the other; buy whichever is cheaper and it'll be fine.
The biggest problem, if you want to play shows, is being able to afford enough power. To be heard over drums and bass you can get away with as little as 20w with one speaker, but to be heard well you really want to get at least 40w and/or two speakers. Or you could get a valve amp with less power, but then that costs more anyway.

Consider looking for a second hand amplifier. Solid state amps like the Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr are hard to damage, so second hand ones are usually okay and it means you can save money or buy a more powerful version without spending any more money. See if you can find one of the more powerful Vypyr or Cube amps second hand at a good price.

Well, where we play(our little band in school) I use Roland 30X and that goes way louder than bass or drums added up. Of course, that is more than the 20X. Well, I will look up for some offers from people who sell cubes and see if there is worthy ones to check up on.
The Roland 30X doesn't just have more power, more importantly it has a larger speaker. The big thing holding the 20X back is that it only has one 8" speaker.

That said, if you are used to the 30X and get on with that okay, yes, the 20X will do fine, too. But the 30X (let alone the 80w version, or the 30 or 75w Vypyr amps) will project your sound better, as the larger speaker pushes more air.

In fact that has reminded me, there is one good reason to buy the Vypyr amps rather than the Cube: the Vypyrs have full 12" speakers, while the Cube 20X has only an 8" speaker and the 30X has a 10". So even at the same power, it will be easier to be heard clearly with the Vypyrs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Roland 30X doesn't just have more power, more importantly it has a larger speaker. The big thing holding the 20X back is that it only has one 8" speaker.

That said, if you are used to the 30X and get on with that okay, yes, the 20X will do fine, too. But the 30X (let alone the 80w version, or the 30 or 75w Vypyr amps) will project your sound better, as the larger speaker pushes more air.

In fact that has reminded me, there is one good reason to buy the Vypyr amps rather than the Cube: the Vypyrs have full 12" speakers, while the Cube 20X has only an 8" speaker and the 30X has a 10". So even at the same power, it will be easier to be heard clearly with the Vypyrs.

Well, I just looked up for some 2-hand amps, but the fact that pretty much all of them are like ~350 km away makes me sad.. and there are none close by. only one, but it is 15W. And that is really not much, atleast how much I would want for starts.
Quote by geduxxx66
Well, that is the only store with normal prices as the other one not far from it takes like 1,5x more cash for their items.

I am from Lithuania and there are no shops here such Thomann or Musicstore.

I was talking about buying online, that's why i provided links to both stores. I'm sure they ship to Lithuania.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by frusciante.ve
Any of the Fender Mustang are excellent first amps, I have a small one for practice and I'm really happy with it.

X2, Mustangs are very useful amps, plenty of tones are achievable. Very versatile.
If you can add €60 to your budget, you can get one of these from Thomann www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca2212_guitar_combo_b_stock.htm

They do ship to your country, you just need to call or email them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're willing to look used your options will expand exponentially and you will get more bang for your buck, I was going to recommend a used Jet City combo if you can find one locally in your price range.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Quote by Blakeu224
If you're willing to look used your options will expand exponentially and you will get more bang for your buck, I was going to recommend a used Jet City combo if you can find one locally in your price range.

Hey. I looked up for amps locally, any offers really. And there is none actually worth looking. All are like 15W peavy' or some other random brand names/400 km away and no possibility to get there. I think I will get the Roland 20X. Not a huge price - 250 bucks. A good cube, although could be 30 or 40W. Anyways, thanks a lot for answers.
I got a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp for about $125 in a pawn shop. It's pretty loud and has a lot of different settings.
For $300.00 you can get a Fender Champion 100 which has not only 100 watts of power, but also several amp models and effects as well and it also comes with a footswitch too.
Quote by acousticstrums
I got a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp for about $125 in a pawn shop. It's pretty loud and has a lot of different settings.

...and it's one of the worst sounding modelling amps.

Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix or Fender Mustang are much better and can usually be found around the same price ranges, both new and used.

Quote by jeffo46
For $300.00 you can get a Fender Champion 100 which has not only 100 watts of power, but also several amp models and effects as well and it also comes with a footswitch too.

The Champion is a nice amp, but the "British" and "Metal" voices aren't very good, IMHO.

TS would need to throw a good distortion pedal in front of it to play Muse, Green Day, Foo Fighters and Linkin Park.

Anyway, apparently TS is unwilling to order from different stores and is getting the Roland Cube from that local store.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
What about Vox Valvetronix Plus series? it has a power limiter, tons of amp simulation/preset/effects, and good reverb. Cheap too.
Whatever you do avoid Line6!!! lol
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3