Hi,

As the title mentions, I'd like to record my band (live) to have a little demo that we can send to venues. At this moment, we play with 1 electrical drum, 1 bass, 1 guitar and 1 singer. We have 2 audio interfaces, both with 2 audio inputs.

I've already done some research on several forums and placing the 2 interfaces on 1 pc probably wouldn't work so my idea would be to use 2 pc's.

We would then plug the jacks from the bass and electrical drum into 1 interface and the guitar jack and the singers XLR into the other interface.
Do you think this is a good approach? Because I'm afraid of bleeding of the mics that would cause phasing problems (which occur regularly when using 2 interfaces apparently). Otherwise we also have 1 extra dynamic mic (sm57 copy), 1 condenser mic rode nt1a and 1 Roland edirol R-09hr recorder that we could also use.

What do you think would be the best setup with this gear? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance! =)
If you are open to a little flexibility, why don't you just record the drums and bass first together to develop a groove and then record guitar and vocals on the second pass? You would then just need one audio interface.
find a guy in town going to school for recording. They usallyaready have basic recording gear and they need to do recording for there credits. you can gett'em cheap
Quote by ironbulletts
find a guy in town going to school for recording. They usallyaready have basic recording gear and they need to do recording for there credits. you can gett'em cheap

What he said. Even if you have a friend or something who knows the basics he can help.

Other than that, if you want to be REALLY ambitious, use both those said PC's you would have access to with the mics you have and record just drum tracks, bounce those raw tracks onto one PC and start recording everything else from there. If you have 4 channels I'd say Snare, Kick, Overhead, and... I dont know maybe a mic between some toms or something. And BAM! You kinda-not-really have some sort of demo that would be 10x better than recording live!

P.S. Obviously you would need some sort of DAW, you dont need anything special.
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
Okay thanks, I already have Cubase 6.
For the drum, it's an electrical one, so 1 channel (jack) is sufficient.
Thanks for the help!
It would propably sound terrible, get 2 decent room mics and place them in a room to capture all the instruments.
Quote by AJScott
It would propably sound terrible, get 2 decent room mics and place them in a room to capture all the instruments.

Why do you think it would sound terrible? Because of the latency?
Otherwise than the fact that there are 2 AI's instead of 1, I don't see a major difference compared to a "classic" band recording setup (correct me if I'm wrong =) )
Hello. I use ASIO4ALL to tie in all of my sound devices. It works great for me. You could give it a try.

I personally use it to input from a Fast Track Pro then throw the audio to Virtual Audio Cable to stream live playing.