I'm looking for the best, cheapest noise gate out there. I want it to kill the noise coming from the drive. I don't want it to kill all the sustain. So what noise-gate does the trick?
You can pick up used Boss NS-2s for $40-50 on the daily.

No contest.

Even regardless of price I have yet to find a better value noise gate/suppressor that offers anything that the NS-2 doesn't.

I haven't played the new Pigtronix one yet, but considering that it doesn't even allow simultaneous input & loop gating, it doesn't exactly have a headstart.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah get an NS-2 on ebay. But make sure you're running it in the pedal's loop. Like guitar>NS-2 Input>Line out to board>board to line in NS-2>output Ns-2 to amp.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Yeah get an NS-2 on ebay. But make sure you're running it in the pedal's loop. Like guitar>NS-2 Input>Line out to board>board to line in NS-2>output Ns-2 to amp.

In the pedal's loop? You mean the fx loop of the amp?
No haha. The pedal has 2 ins and 2 outs.

I'm just saying make sure you run all your pedals between the "send" and "return". The input goes to guitar and the output to your amp. I made the mistake of not using the send and return and the pedal never worked right. Then I found out about it and it worked great.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
No haha. The pedal has 2 ins and 2 outs.

I'm just saying make sure you run all your pedals between the "send" and "return". The input goes to guitar and the output to your amp. I made the mistake of not using the send and return and the pedal never worked right. Then I found out about it and it worked great.

But some things that run in the fx loop sound terrible imo, like wah.

Can I run my wah, boost/distortion through the line in and out, while my Delay, EQ (and soon flanger and phaser) with the send and return?
Yeah basically anything not running in the FX loop of your amps you will run in the send and return of the NS-2. All the noise will be cancelled by the time it hits the amp and, therefore, the fx loop. Sorry I didn;t realize you were using an FX loop, I never have because I never used delays ect. lol
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Yeah basically anything not running in the FX loop of your amps you will run in the send and return of the NS-2. All the noise will be cancelled by the time it hits the amp and, therefore, the fx loop. Sorry I didn;t realize you were using an FX loop, I never have because I never used delays ect. lol

But will it work if I have my amp gain channel? Will it cancel out that gain?
It won;t take out any gain your amp makes. The noise gate takes out the inherent hum the guitar, lines and pedals make due to imperfect grounding or whatever. So by the time the signal hits the amp the NS-2 has done it's job and won't do anything to your amp.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Plus the noise gate in a sense turns itself "off" when you are playing (it's a whole decibel cutoff thing I don't know a lot about and won't get into). It's more there for when you aren't playing you don't get that hum and/or buzz in your signal coming through the amp.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by liampje
So actually you could say that a gain channel amplifies imperfectly soldered guitar pickups etc?

No, you just get feedback from a lot of gain, and this this thing mutes your guitar when you are not playing.
Yeah, more or less. That's why you don't hear much hum on a clean channel. I think I misread what you were saying before haha. If there is noise when you aren't playing that you don't want, the NS-2 will take it out. But all your distortion any tone won't be affected when you are playing.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
NS-2 is decent, but the fact it can do the X pattern is a big plus. I bought a used MXR Smart Gate for $60 and I could not be happier with it. It is a better gate than the Boss NS-2 IMO, but it can not do the X pattern.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want to silence unwanted noise on both your guitar/pedal signal and your amplifier, you need to buy two noise gate/suppressor units. There is no other way around it. Some people try to use the NS-2's double input & outputs to do both the guitar signal and the preamp signal at the same time, but this doesn't work well; the threshold levels and decay you need to silence the guitar signal is very different to what you need to silence the preamp.
ISP's units are often said to be able to silence both guitar and amp properly at the same time, but when I used them I found they were far too heavy-handed for the guitar signal. In the end the full 'noiseless' system I ended up with was an NS-2 and an ISP unit, with the NS-2 on the guitar signal and pedal signal and the ISP for the preamp.

That said, if you silence just your guitar and pedals, that will take care of most of the excess noise on your amp, even with high gain. You may sitll get some noise from the amp, but that's just the price you pay for playing with high gain; at louder volumes, that amp noise will be nothing compared to the sound of your guitar, anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Robbgnarly
NS-2 is decent, but the fact it can do the X pattern is a big plus.

Agreed. I didn't try it out for too long, but it seemed to work pretty well for me and killed both guitar/pedal noise and amp noise at the same time. I doubt the x-pattern method is better than 2 separate gates, but if you can't afford two separate gates...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?