I'm considering buying a big muff pedal. I play mainly indie -indie rock music such as the Smiths , Arctic Monkeys, the Vaccines.

I'm running either a Gretsch hollowbody or a fender Baja tele into a boss me 70 into a fender pro junior. Just wondering if you guys thought the big muff would add much to my rig.

Also can anyone explain the difference between the big muff and the little big muff, thanks
Fender Baja Telecaster
Gretsch G5422tdc
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Vox AC15C1
Mostly the size of the case. IIRC there's is a couple of small differences in the schematics, but practically there's really no difference.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The Little Big Muff uses a standard Boss/DigiTech/Ibanez power supply and has slightly less treble. Otherwise they are the same. For most people, the Little Big Muff is just more convenient due to the size and more common power supply. The difference in tone can be made up for by just turning the tone knob to a different position.

If you look on your ME-70, there should be a distortion tone setting marked 'fuzz'. A Muff is a type of fuzz effect. However, the type of fuzz modelled by the ME-70 has more distortion than a Muff-type fuzz distortion. Try using that 'fuzz' model with the gain set a little lower than you would normally use, the tone control set slightly higher than normal and the level set slightly higher. This should give you a rough idea of whether the Muff will be at all suitable for you. Obviously, you could also listen to many demos of people using Muffs.

Personally, I associate general alternative rock bands like The Smiths and The Arctic Monkeys ('indie' means something else, really) with fairly clean/bright boost pedals and plain amp overdrive, rather than fuzz, muff or other dedicated distortion units. Muffs are a little more of a prog rock thing, to me. With your ME-70, try setting up an overdrive/boost effect which simply increases your guitar signal to the amp, perhaps with a little extra high-mids and treble, without adding any actual distortion from the ME-70. See if that gets you where you want, instead. For reference, the only distortion or overdrive pedal that Johnny Marr ever really used in The Smiths was a Boss OD-2 basic overdrive, and Alex Turner of The Arctic Monkeys uses an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer reissue pedal; he used to use a Pro Co RAT distortion pedal occasionally.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Don't get the Little Big Muff. It kinda sucks.

Either get the real one, or get the new Nano Big Muff, which is surprisingly great.

You might also want to look into the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.
I play some similar styles to you and love my big muff for that, I would personally recommend the big muff with tone wicker as it's the same size as the little big muff but by switching the tone switch off you get a fantastically thick fuzz perfect for newer Arctic Monkeys stuff, particularly songs like R U Mine and gives you a pretty great tone for the stuff off the newer Vaccines album.

However for bands like The Smiths a big muff won't sound right, a better idea for them is a light transparent overdrive such as a blues driver.
AC30 C2 with greenbacks

Fender JA-90 Telecaster
Fender Mexican classic series 60's Telecaster

MXR Noise Clamp
Dunlop Crybaby
Pro-co Rat 2
Fulltone Plimsoul
Electro Harmonix Big Muff W/ Tone Wicker
Mooer Orange 90
Vox Delay Lab
Really, people? This is the first time I've seen anybody recommend the Nano over the Little. Especially considering the Little has more in common, internally, with the standard unit than the Nano does.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I just like how the nano sounds. The Little doesn't sound bad though. Just my preference.

Edit- Hey Flibble. Haven't seen you around in a while...
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 23, 2014,
i'm with flibble- i'd be concerned a muff might be way too saturated/distorted for that type of music (though admittedly i don't play it much so i could well be wrong ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the standard big muff and the other guitarist in my band uses the little big muff...played together I can notice a difference not only in tone, but the volume you get out of it too. We tested them both out through the same amp a couple of practices ago and the standard one one has a slightly wider tonal range but it can get significantly louder. I was kind of shocked by it to be honest.
Last edited by zburgess11 at Mar 23, 2014,
If you're getting a Big Muff, it's best to go with the classic one -which is really rather large, but what're you going to do- rather than the Little Big Muff, which I've heard some iffy things about in terms of a slight tininess of sound.

But I would definitely recommend looking at other fuzz pedals besides the Big Muff -everyone's got one of those. There's the Catalinbread Perseus and Zvex Fuzz Factory, for example.
I personally would not use a big muff for any of those bands (I agree with Mr. Flibble); too much gain on tap. I'd get an overdrive instead.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Either get the Nano or the Classic one. But for the bands you listed a Big Muff is kind of overkill in the gain department, unless you like playing with the sustain knob on like 1. You can get an overdriven type of sound with it, but you'd probably be better off with a tube screamer type pedal.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
The standard muff cleans up really well if you dial back on the volume knob.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I personally have a Russian Big Muff, and it's not bad. I'm probably going to get a Catalinbread Perseus, but it is an Octaves-Fuzz- probably not the right tool for the job.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by MrFlibble
The Little Big Muff uses a standard Boss/DigiTech/Ibanez power supply and has slightly less treble. Otherwise they are the same. For most people, the Little Big Muff is just more convenient due to the size and more common power supply. The difference in tone can be made up for by just turning the tone knob to a different position.

If you look on your ME-70, there should be a distortion tone setting marked 'fuzz'. A Muff is a type of fuzz effect. However, the type of fuzz modelled by the ME-70 has more distortion than a Muff-type fuzz distortion. Try using that 'fuzz' model with the gain set a little lower than you would normally use, the tone control set slightly higher than normal and the level set slightly higher. This should give you a rough idea of whether the Muff will be at all suitable for you. Obviously, you could also listen to many demos of people using Muffs.

Personally, I associate general alternative rock bands like The Smiths and The Arctic Monkeys ('indie' means something else, really) with fairly clean/bright boost pedals and plain amp overdrive, rather than fuzz, muff or other dedicated distortion units. Muffs are a little more of a prog rock thing, to me. With your ME-70, try setting up an overdrive/boost effect which simply increases your guitar signal to the amp, perhaps with a little extra high-mids and treble, without adding any actual distortion from the ME-70. See if that gets you where you want, instead. For reference, the only distortion or overdrive pedal that Johnny Marr ever really used in The Smiths was a Boss OD-2 basic overdrive, and Alex Turner of The Arctic Monkeys uses an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer reissue pedal; he used to use a Pro Co RAT distortion pedal occasionally.

I think the alt rock association came from Dinosaur Jr. Though they obviously sound nothing like any of the bands listed in the OP, alt rock is too vague and broad of a genre. I can't recall any prog guys using them extensively, though I'll admit I tend to not care for prog unless it's metal (exception being King Crimson).

I definitely agree that the lighter OD pedals are definitely much more suited to the sounds he wants. Tubescreamer is okay, though I might also look into something like a Timmy (or any of its clones, ie, Lovepedal OD11) or any number of decent ODs aimed at those tones.

Quote by MrFlibble
Really, people? This is the first time I've seen anybody recommend the Nano over the Little. Especially considering the Little has more in common, internally, with the standard unit than the Nano does.

I dunno. Has anyone traced the Nano Muff yet? I wouldn't be surprised if it's almost the same circuit as the other two. I haven't played one though, so couldn't say definitively. In fact, I don't think I've ever even played the Little Big Muff. And the only time I ever get my hands on the regular current production Muff is to mod it, so I'm not even that familiar with that sound as well. I'm all about the Ram's Head and IC era circuits.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ram's Head - David Gilmour
Op-Amp - Billy Corgan
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Jamie from AM uses an older big muff
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by nmcintyre2
I'm running either a Gretsch hollowbody or a fender Baja tele into a boss me 70 into a fender pro junior. Just wondering if you guys thought the big muff would add much to my rig.

I don't think so. You already have a fuzz pedal model on the Boss ME-70, so the Big Muff wouldn't exactly fill a void.

On the other hand, for the music genres you mentioned, i wouldn't consider a fuzz pedal the priority upgrade, IMHO. I think a good overdrive pedal with different gain characters, like the Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet or the CMAT MODS Signa Drive, would be more useful.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112