Hey Pit, I recently got a turn table and some records and I have to say the price tags are CRAZY even on used vinyl and its a little discouraging to a kid trying to keep physical media alive. Am I just cheap? Has vinyl always been priced 30-60$? What are the price ranges in your local area? I just want to know what you all think about vinyl collecting, prices, etc...
Prices have gone up in a lot of places, I assume, because of how "cool and retro" it is to do it again. It's trending now.
My God, it's full of stars!
Go to amazon kid
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
the most i ever spent was $25 on Moss Icon's whole discography along with artwork, etc.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Depends what kinda stuff you're buying, I buy vinyl directly from a lot of small labels and I rarely pay more than £12 ($20) per record, usually much less. From more well known labels/bands I see new prices of £15-£30 ($25-$50)at my local record store. Second hand can often be more expensive if it's in good condition due to limited runs, I'll only buy that kinda stuff if I really really want it.

Also postage can be bloody expensive.
I collect vinyls, and yea. Expensive as ****ing hell. I bought Rush's Clockwork Angels when it was brand new (a year ago, I think), and while it has 2 vinyls and a **** load of artwork and pictures and stuff inside - it was like $80. I have Rush's whole discography and that alone cost me about $500 or so. It cost more because it was a brand new vinyl. That album was released last year. But I've gotten a few other rarer editions of their older albums for just as much if not more. I've also gotten a few of their albums (Self titled, Moving Pictures) for like $5.

Your best friends when looking for vinyls are garage sales, pawn shops, thrift stores, places where there will be a bunch of shitty vinyls shoved into a box with a "1 for $2" price tag on it. That's where you can (hopefully) find some cheap gold.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Mar 23, 2014,
Quote by reyyourock
Hey Pit, I recently got a turn table and some records and I have to say the price tags are CRAZY even on used vinyl and its a little discouraging to a kid trying to keep physical media alive.

Wrong physical media
$30-60? What are you buying? I almost always pay $20 or less, unless it's a harder to find release or 2x LP.
I usually only go for the cheap ones ($13-$22), but yeah, they can get hella expensive. I think I payed something like $50 for The Wall.

It's kinda more of a thing where you get your favorite records and pass up all the rest. That's what you got your digital copies and CDs for

And...yes and no to your other question. I would say prices have risen a little bit in the past 6 years or so, but there's always been expensive ones and I find that the cheaper records haven't changed much in price. CDs, when they're new, often go for about the same price.
The most I have spent on a record is £7

The least I have spent is £0.99, I actually bought some yesterday
- My sharona by the knack
- Bohemian rhapsody by queen
- Somebody to love by queen

All that cost me was £2.97
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Mar 23, 2014,
Yo. What you want is a first pressing of Deja Entendu.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Mar 23, 2014,
I bought maybe 20 vinyls during my "phase". Never paid more than £5 for one. I would go to ebay and search for the ones ending the soonest and bid for the ones I fancied. Got original presses of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, The River and Paranoid by doing that.
All the second hand classical records are the cheapest so you can establish your pretentious douche rep with a fiver.

I have at least 5 or 6 classical records. One of them is a box set of Handel's Messiah I snatched for one quid
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't you have a piece of shit Pioneer from the '70s?
You are the only person I've ever encountered to call the PL series a piece of shit. Everything else I've heard is nothing but good about that series in that range.

And even so I can agree that at its level (as well as any consumer level) it's not capable of making vinyl sound better than a CD. I can guarantee the TS doesn't own anything higher than that, most likely one of those Ion USB turntables you see at Best Buy.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't you have a piece of shit Pioneer from the '70s?

Most hifi-equipment from that era, when properly set-up, is superior to its equitable modern system. And you can usually find this stuff for fairly cheap in thrift stores and the like now, which is an added bonus.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You are the only person I've ever encountered to call the PL series a piece of shit. Everything else I've heard is nothing but good about that series in that range.

And even so I can agree that at its level (as well as any consumer level) it's not capable of making vinyl sound better than a CD. I can guarantee the TS doesn't own anything higher than that, most likely one of those Ion USB turntables you see at Best Buy.

I've owned a Roksan Xerxes. Most turntables are a piece of shit in comparison. The PLs were, on the whole, plastic awfulness, had a shedload of wow and flutter issues, often caused by, but not limited to, the motor or the derailleur fork. You're really in no position to judge someone else's choice in turntable, or desire to start with a record collection.

Quote by thewho65
Most hifi-equipment from that era, when properly set-up, is superior to its equitable modern system. And you can usually find this stuff for fairly cheap in thrift stores and the like now, which is an added bonus.

Errr... no. It really isn't. Trust me on that. I dealt in high end hifi for years.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Mar 23, 2014,
Quote by Vitor_vdp
> 20 years old

> Calls other people "kid"

> Is Ian

It's hilarious how he is acting so superior and pompous because he listens to vinyls "the real way"

What a ****ing loser. Stop being such a damn douche, Ian.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I've owned a Roksan Xerxes. Most turntables are a piece of shit in comparison.
Uhh... no shit?

Roksan products are usually 2-to-8-thousand dollars each, most likely built and wired by hand. The PL-570 was $800 at release, $300 off of Ebay used today (5-600 after maintenance, required).

That's like saying "your $700 Ibanez is a piece of shit because it doesn't sound as good as my $15,000 PRS Private Stock." Next I expect you to say the HPM-100 speakers are garbage because they're not Martin Logan Electrostatics.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
The PLs were, on the whole, plastic awfulness, had a shedload of wow and flutter issues, often caused by, but not limited to, the motor or the derailleur fork. You're really in no position to judge someone else's choice in turntable, or desire to start with a record collection.
You realise I'm talking about this one, right?

And of course I can't speak on the motors as all of them in mine had to be replaced before I could use it (main spinner ran too slow and the arm motor didn't even work). But on other terms, the thing picks up no noise and sounded fantastic with properly treated vinyl and a decent stylus (Ortofon MK-II in mine).

The construction is all wood too with a metal base, so I don't get where the whole "plastic awfulness" thing is coming from.

I also own a Fisher turntable from the Studio Std. 870 series, so I at least know what a shit turntable sounds like. That thing is less shit than it is a complete joke of a product.
So you completely missed the 'on the whole' comment. It's a synonym for 'generally,' Ian dear. I was just being a twat to you, like you try to be to so many. I really don't care what you have, or what someone else has. It's irrelevant at the end of the day.

I still think the PL range ally wasn't that good, though.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Mar 23, 2014,
that price is ridiculous, unless you're in australia or the only album you're trying to buy is random access memories. most stuff nowadays is probably on average $15.

also, go crate digging, you'll find new stuff and it's really really cheap
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I bought Thriller, The Wall, and Led Zeppelin II for around $4 each a few years ago. I think I may have gotten a good deal.
I don't think I've ever spent more than $25 on a new release. If you dig through shit (which is really the best part of going to the record store), you can find great stuff for under ten dollars.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Just make sure you set your turntable up properly, or you will wear your expensive records down a lot quicker.

I'm 99% sure OP doesn't know what all that means and bought a turntable that will eat his records. His fault, tho.
Quote by zackk
I bought Thriller, The Wall, and Led Zeppelin II for around $4 each a few years ago. I think I may have gotten a good deal.

Or, y'know, they weren't new pressings and there are a lot of those albums floating around. Yep, new pressings will cost you topdollar. Finding some old records in great shape is something magical though, that will generally be quite cheap if it happens.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Anything over $30 is unusually expensive for new vinyl, unless it's a double album or a very limited release (Record Store Day stuff, etc.), or occasionally a re-release of something older. But most stuff is usually $20-$30, and you can find lots of stuff for under $20, especially if it's popular stuff or if you buy directly from small labels (for example, I know Deathwish prices all their vinyl at $12, except double albums, which are $20). And if you don't mind buying used stuff, you can find plenty of stuff for $12 at the most, though it's going to be harder to find specific stuff that way.
I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 on vinyl, and got my record player for free; I found one of these on the street and pushed it home.