Page 1 of 2
So I got my driving license last year around July. Since then I haven't driven a car. I admit that when I passed I was a bad driver and was very lucky to pass on the 2nd attempt. If I was to get into a car now I think i'd probably get in lots of accidents very quickly, I am kind of scared to get behind the wheel.

I think it was a huge mistake learning to drive as soon as I turned 17. I didn't want to but my parents convinced me they had it all sorted but they had no ****ing clue. They didn't realize that in the past 10 years car insurance has increased dramatically. So I can't afford insurance. Not only that but there is no point in me driving as in September I am leaving for Uni in a small town and can take the train home.

I already feel like I have forgotten how to drive, and it is guaranteed that in the next 3 years I wont be driving. I am not sure if there is some law where they take your license away if you fail to get insurance in a certain amount of time.

So young pitsters yet to get your license, don't listen to your parents and their decade old knowledge.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I drive a lot for work (I'm talking 1500+ miles a month, easy). Before taking the job, I hadn't driven for about 3 years, and I can very much say, from experience, that the only way to get better at driving is by keeping on driving. Over the last 6-7 months, I would now consider myself a very good driver. You don't learn how to drive- you learn how to pass a test. Then you learn how to be a driver.
I got my license when I was 16 and have never bought insurance.

I went without driving for a year at one point, but prior I was a decent driver and had been driving for 3 years. Really I wasn't any better or worse at driving, it's 2nd nature at this point. Even counting the year without it, I've been driving for almost 1/3rd of my life.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 23, 2014,
I got my permit at 15 and my license at 16. But I don't like on a tiny island so I've had to drive everywhere since then.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You don't learn how to drive- you learn how to pass a test. Then you learn how to be a driver.

Totally agree.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Yeah what Delirium said. The test is BS tbh. I got my license on the 4th try and I was a waay better driver than my sisters were when they passed the test.

You only really start to learn how to drive once you are legally able to drive.

It's like learning a foreign language in school vs going to a country that speaks said language and learning it that way.

Totally different beast.

You gotta immerse yourself in driving, then you'll get better at it.
Last edited by E7#9 at Mar 23, 2014,
Quote by E7#9
Yeah what Delirium said. The test is BS tbh. I got my license on the 4th try and I was a waay better driver than my sisters were when they passed the test.

You only really start to learn how to drive once you are legally able to drive.

It's like learning a foreign language in school vs going to a country that speaks said language and learning it that way.

Totally different beast.

You gotta immerse yourself in driving, then you'll get better at it.

I'd probably say I'm in a lucky position to practice driving- in a day, I can be in 7+ different cars, all different combos of petrol/diesel/hybrid, manual/automatic, fwd/rwd/4wd, city cars/hatchbacks/estates/4x4s... it really helps.
I mean realistically driving isnt difficult. If you have the capacity to pay attention all around you its pretty easy. Confidence is what makes a good driver and the only way to build that, is by driving.

Even though you may not entirely "need" a car for school, its a question most employers will ask: "do you have a reliable mode of transportation?"

I also find driving extremely fun. Ive had a ball driving around in NYC avoiding crazy taxis and buses and shit, and thats stressful driving. Ive got a nice sound system in my car, i can roll back the sun roof and have a smoke. Driving is fun man, take the scenic route!
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by Cb4rabid
What is it with Brits and being horribly inept at operating a car?

I get the sense that europeans in general aren't as enamored with cars as North Americans are.
Quote by E7#9
I get the sense that europeans in general aren't as enamored with cars as North Americans are.

The need simply isn't there as much. I see a ton of UKers talk about how they can take a train where they need to go. Without a car, I can't go anywhere. We have way too much space for any widespread public transport. I think there's a train from Oklahoma City to Dallas and farther but I'd need to drive two hours to get to OKC.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
when your youngs best time to do it, its when you have the most free time! besides just take a few lessons when you want to drive again itll come back quick
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Do you guys not have driver's ed in school? We need a semester of it before we can even take a driver's test at the minimum age. It's nothing but learning the rules that will be on the test and driving around with an instructor.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Teens under the age of 18 shouldn't be allowed to drive, they all have their heads up their asses at every given moment. I almost got run over in a parking lot the other day by some little twatfuck texting.

Hell even when I was a teen driving everyone I knew drove like shit. I probably even drove like shit and didn't realize it, which I think is the same for a lot of teens.

I honestly think if we raised the age to 18 we'd save hundreds of lives, maybe also make it a requirement to graduate highschool before being able to obtain a license, keep all the shitty drivers off the road and save millions of lives.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Do you guys not have driver's ed in school? We need a semester of it before we can even take a driver's test at the minimum age. It's nothing but learning the rules that will be on the test and driving around with an instructor.

Is there anywhere where you can take the exam just like that, with no previous lessons?

EDIT: I know there probably is, but is it common?
Last edited by sickman411 at Mar 23, 2014,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Teens under the age of 18 shouldn't be allowed to drive, they all have their heads up their asses at every given moment. I almost got run over in a parking lot the other day by some little twatfuck texting.

Hell even when I was a teen driving everyone I knew drove like shit. I probably even drove like shit and didn't realize it, which I think is the same for a lot of teens.

I honestly think if we raised the age to 18 we'd save hundreds of lives, maybe also make it a requirement to graduate highschool before being able to obtain a license, keep all the shitty drivers off the road and save millions of lives.

But how do you know you aren't just postponing those behaviors two years?

I dunno, my first job was a valet parking cars when I'd had my license for like three months. I can't imagine not driving, but a lot of that has to do with was blade said.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
My dad taught me how to drive in the same truck I have now when I was 14, going up and down one of the worst roads to travel on in the county.

It was very illegal, but it made nearly every other driving experience seem like a piece of cake.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Anyone who thinks the age should be raised is a ****ing idiot (Ian). A lot of people around here get a job as soon as they can drive because they need it. If you've never had the responsibility of having a car or job by the time you're 18 then you're going to very unprepared for basic aspects of life. A lot of people need jobs as soon as possible to help support their family or to help support having a car. A lot of people need to ferry around siblings while their parents are at work. Having a 16 year old learn to drive is better because they're a minor and still under their parents' legal control and protection.

I'm not the best driver but I was capable enough to head out on my own after high school because I'd been driving for two years. Oh, but learning to drive at the same time as high school graduation sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll just have my parents waste time and drive me to school every day, and every school function, and work. Then I'll learn right before I go to college so I can be a shitty inexperienced driver in a town I'm unfamiliar with. Or I can not go to college because I'll have to work to pay the bills for said car because I'm just now starting payments. Nice idea, idiot.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You don't learn how to drive- you learn how to pass a test. Then you learn how to be a driver.

Even my teacher told me that they don't teach you how to drive, the test is merely there to select those who are ready to learn how to drive once you hit the road on your own.

My suggestion for TS is to keep on refreshing your theoretical knowledge every now and then. Learning how to drive gets so much easier once you know your signs, traffic rules and shit.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Anyone who thinks the age should be raised is a ****ing idiot (Ian). A lot of people around here get a job as soon as they can drive because they need it. If you've never had the responsibility of having a car or job by the time you're 18 then you're going to very unprepared for basic aspects of life. A lot of people need jobs as soon as possible to help support their family or to help support having a car. A lot of people need to ferry around siblings while their parents are at work. Having a 16 year old learn to drive is better because they're a minor and still under their parents' legal control and protection.

I'm not the best driver but I was capable enough to head out on my own after high school because I'd been driving for two years. Oh, but learning to drive at the same time as high school graduation sounds like a wonderful idea. I'll just have my parents waste time and drive me to school every day, and every school function, and work. Then I'll learn right before I go to college so I can be a shitty inexperienced driver in a town I'm unfamiliar with. Or I can not go to college because I'll have to work to pay the bills for said car because I'm just now starting payments. Nice idea, idiot.

Speaking as somebody who started working working at 14, driving at 16, and held off on college until 20 because I still couldn't (still can't really) afford it... this. Very much all of this. I know people that are stuck completely unable to go anywhere in life because they can't get a job in a distance you can get to without a car, and they can't get a car because they can't get a job. So let's make this situation even harder to get out of or avoid by putting more limitations on driving. Yeeeeah, no. If you want to save some lives in regards to driving just make harsher punishments for driving under the influence and make the elderly get retested yearly. Based on my admittedly short experience driving (6 years), it seems to me the elderly are far more of an issue than the young, and common sense says that raising the age from 18 to 20 just turns 18 year old assholes into 20 year old assholes.
I got mine at 16 but was still pretty immature I guess, used to race around, drink, do stupid stuff like let my friends lay on the roof and hold on tight as I fishtailed all over the gravel roads, just like in that movie with those stunt chicks, but without the belts to hold.

My friend died drunk after a part at my place, his GF was almost dead, and my other friend in the car had an operation that he later died fro the aids blood he got...
Quote by BladeSlinger
Anyone who thinks the age should be raised is a ****ing idiot (Ian). A lot of people around here get a job as soon as they can drive because they need it. If you've never had the responsibility of having a car or job by the time you're 18 then you're going to very unprepared for basic aspects of life.
Simple two word response to those issues:

Tough shit.

Quote by BladeSlinger
A lot of people need jobs as soon as possible to help support their family or to help support having a car. A lot of people need to ferry around siblings while their parents are at work. Having a 16 year old learn to drive is better because they're a minor and still under their parents' legal control and protection.
No it isn't. It just puts another punk-ass kid stuck in his social life and texting 24/7 behind the wheel of several tons of steel and machinerey capaple of taking many lives and exploding.

Even if they're not in accidents themselves, they certainly cause a fuckton of accidents behind the wheel.

Quote by BladeSlinger
#FirstWorldProblems

Guess what, we also have school buses. High schoolers can fucking ride them and suck it the hell up.
Just remember that driving is much like riding a bike.

If you crash, you could die.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Borrow one of your parent's car just to go to a store or ask one of your friends if you can drive their car for a little bit.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Tough shit.

No it isn't. It just puts another punk-ass kid stuck in his social life and texting 24/7 behind the wheel of several tons of steel and machinerey capaple of taking many lives and exploding.

Even if they're not in accidents themselves, they certainly cause a fuckton of accidents behind the wheel.

#FirstWorldProblems

Guess what, we also have school buses. High schoolers can fucking ride them and suck it the hell up.

Bus route didn't go to my house

what now, cunt

Statistically, adults text more while driving anyway
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I learnt at 17 and passed after 7months ish and drove quite a lot. Then did a bit of travelling and didn't drive for 10 months and it didn't seem to make a difference to my driving. I know drive an automatic, have for 8 months, thought I might be forgetting how to drive a manual smoothly but tried my sister's this weekend and it was fine, I think you need a bit of confidence.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Hmm, seems majority of people here are not from the UK...

So, the driving age here is 17+... I think that is a fair starting age.

What most american's don't realize is that the test here in the UK is significantly harder than in the US, and that the roads in the UK are often more dangerous. Not India dangerous but still dangerous.

Quote by Fearless(Times)
Borrow one of your parent's car just to go to a store or ask one of your friends if you can drive their car for a little bit.

If I was to do that and get caught I would have a huge fine, and lose my license.

Quote by metal4eva_22
If the test is harder then you should learn more from it.

Roads around here are very hazardous, too. The whole US isn't that way, of course, but you have to always pay attention on the roads here. Blind curves, blind hills, ravines, etc.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Don't sweat it.

Get on with uni, get your degree and enjoy yourself a bit, then worry about driving. You can take a refresher course or something.

I started lessons at 17 and had to stop due to work. I then started taking lessons again at 21, so I pretty much had to relearn everything too, it comes back quicker than you'd expect.
Oh boy I'm going to New Zealand at the end of April and was thinking of doing a road trip from Christchurch to Queenstown and back. The problem is I haven't driven in months and I'm from Canada. We drive on the other side of the road.
The good thing is, I'm fully license at home.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Tough shit.

If you're not concerned for the well being of others, you have no business arguing what should or shouldn't be law.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

Hey, asshole. I started working at 14, and using that money to support my family at 16. I don't text while driving, and I've never wrecked. The financial well being of my family shouldn't go out the window just because you somehow think that making sixteen year old assholes wait until they're eighteen year old assholes to drive helps anybody. It's not their age that gets them into accidents. It's inexperience. You don't help anybody by making them wait longer.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
#FirstWorldProblems

Being able to function in the world is not a first world problem. Not being able to get an education for any reason (in this case, because you can't work, because you can't drive) is an any world problem. Also, again, if you're not concerned for the well being of others, you have no business arguing what should or shouldn't be law.

Besides, the whole point of high school is to prepare you for the real world, and driving is the one part of the real world that it doesn't completely fail to prepare people for. People already have to get out of high school and then immediately learn to handle college, employment, finances (bills, feeding yourself, the government student aid system designed to **** you as young as it can and make sure it lasts as long as it can), living away from your parents and general adulthood all at once. If you want more responsible people in the world, don't throw driving into that list of things as well.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

Four of the six public schools I've gone to did not have a school bus system. Try again.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you do get back behind the wheel just take it easy, don't feel pressure from other motorists if you're going a little slower than the limit. Just take your time. I passed my test when I was 18 and drove for a couple of months then went to uni and didn't need a car so got rid of it, then got a car last summer. It felt a little odd being out of driving for almost two years, especially because my car is bigger than my first. But the more I drove the more my confidence grew. The same will happen to you. You don't forget to drive, you just need to build up your confidence, work on your awareness when driving.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Mar 23, 2014,
I was in the same boat as you OP. I probably drove a total of 5 hours before getting my license on my second attempt and went about a year and a half before driving again. Then I bought a car, got myself some cheap $40 a month liability insurance, and took up the pizza delivery profession. I was scared shitless when I had to drive down to turn in the app cause it was my first time driving in so long, but I got the job and was thrust headfirst into the driving world. Delivering pizza was good practice for driving, and now six months later I feel fully confident in my driving and never think twice about it when stepping into a car. Youll get there, son
Quote by Cb4rabid
What is it with Brits and being horribly inept at operating a car?

Because they lack common sense and a sense of personal freedom.

If you can't drive at least half decently you have no common sense and no confidence and says a lot about you as a person.
Quote by Nero Galon
Hmm, seems majority of people here are not from the UK...

So, the driving age here is 17+... I think that is a fair starting age.

What most american's don't realize is that the test here in the UK is significantly harder than in the US, and that the roads in the UK are often more dangerous. Not India dangerous but still dangerous.

If I was to do that and get caught I would have a huge fine, and lose my license.

Seems like the UK would have a lot of bizarre roads that are hard to navigate. Older US cities can be like that. Tulsa is a grid. If you know a few areas of Tulsa then it's almost impossible to be lost for long.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2