Hi, I am am planning on buying a new guitar at some point in the future, and have had a bit of trouble deciding what to buy. I am primarily interested in playing psychedelic rock, and have currently been looking at the Les Paul or the ES-335. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
an sg!!!!!!!!

but honestly, any of your "regular" guitars will work great, and look great.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
As it has already been said, pretty much any guitar would work.
Semi-hollow ones like the ES-335 might be prone to some feedback if you use huge amounts of fuzz or distortion, but there are ways to work around that.

If you want better advice, give us the information required on the sticky at the top of this subforum:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
As someone who is old enough to remember the psychedelic era, I can tell you that far and away, the most popular guitar among the Acid Rock set was a Gibson SG; usually the SG Custom. As others have said, any good electric guitar will work, but the SG was so prevalent that it sort of became a part of the whole psychedelic vibe.

This one definitely had a lot to do with it:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The fool was exactly the guitar i was thinking of when i said SG!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by cheesefries
trip acid and you'll soon realize the best guitar for psychedelic is whatever is in reach.

Only if you can hold onto the neck. Ask Carlos Santana what happened when he did that before playing Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Thanks for the recommendations, sorry that I was unaware of the format, here is what I know at this point.
Budget? - Along the lines of budget I'm able to spend between 300$-600$

Favorite Artists? - Billy Gibbons, Robby Krieger, Jerry Garcia, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore

Preferences? - This I don't really have that big of an issue, I'm mostly just trying to find something that is at least somewhat versatile, and vintage looking.

Pickups? - Nothing in particular.

New or Used? - Either works.

Location? - I live in Rochester New York, this isn't such a problem because there are tons of places to buy guitars around where I live.
The Godin Richmond Belmont would fit the bill:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111356151252?lpid=82

That particular one is a new one, discounted @$100. You may be able to find a better price used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 13, 2014,
Quote by toby0914
Thanks for the recommendations, sorry that I was unaware of the format, here is what I know at this point.

Favorite Artists? - Billy Gibbons, Robby Krieger, Jerry Garcia, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore

Preferences? - This I don't really have that big of an issue, I'm mostly just trying to find something that is at least somewhat versatile, and vintage looking.

Location? - I live in Rochester New York, this isn't such a problem because there are tons of places to buy guitars around where I live.

Sounds like qualifications for a MIM Fender Strat or Tele. Versatile yet affordable price point with a nice bright tone. That sounds like where I would start. Just my opinion. I'm not sure what music shops are in your area but here are some links to take a look at from GuitarCenter.com

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Maple-Fretboard-H76526-i2032186.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-107428765-i2032187.gc
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender Mustang II V2 Amp
Quote by shogunai
Sounds like qualifications for a MIM Fender Strat or Tele. Versatile yet affordable price point with a nice bright tone. That sounds like where I would start. Just my opinion. I'm not sure what music shops are in your area but here are some links to take a look at from GuitarCenter.com

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Maple-Fretboard-H76526-i2032186.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-107428765-i2032187.gc

In a similar vein, there is also the G&L ASAT Deluxe Tribute, made in Indonesia with American parts.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GLG-TRASATDXRW-LIST

Also, their ASAT Tribute Junior II
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-junior-ii-electric-guitar

And the ASAT Tribute Classic Bluesboy
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-classic-bluesboy-electric-guitar
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 13, 2014,

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided that I am going to buy a Mexican-made Fender Standard Stratocaster, I have tested one and it has just about all the qualities that I am looking for in a guitar.
Quote by ninjamunky85
How about the sg zoot suit?

That's really awesome looking actually lol.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by toby0914

hi i live just outside of Rochester myself. SG is a fine choice and honestly a strat would be good as well. your choice of fx might have a greater impact on the sound than the guitar though.