So I've had an acoustic for a few years and finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and get an electric guitar.

After watching craigslist for a few weeks I finally found something that I thought was cheap enough but still good enough for me to decide of electric guitar was my thing.

Picked up a red Ibanez RG120 for $100, wasn't too bad overall, was just missing a string but for $100 I figured if it played then why not. Sadly, playing was not the case. I replaced the string and plugged it in, nothing coming from the first position, and 2 and 3 sound the same so I'm assuming that the first humbucker is shot? And the cable has to be at just the right position for the neck one to get any sound.

Pretty disheartened overall. Lesson learned I guess.

Anyways, I'm fairly decent with most electronics and have no problem wiring things up. But I'm not sure what exactly should I buy. Should I start with a new plug and 3 way switch? Or jump right for the humbucker? Is there a list of the original parts anywhere?

Many thanks,

-Wright
Yeah that might be the solution. Start with the jack and 3 way, maybe the pots and just keep building up from the cheapest to most expensive parts until its fixed. A guitar like that may be worth gutting and replacing everything anyway.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'd just go through and get all new pots, switch and jack. A guitar like that is likely to have cheap electronics anyway, so by replacing it all now you'll save any problems from later.
When it comes to the switch and jack, pretty much any variant will fit in. You just need a simple mono jack for the guitar. Stereo jacks are used for guitars with active electronics (EMGs, Blackouts, etc). The pots are really personal preference. 500K is the typical usage for humbuckers and 250K for single coils. If I remember right, Gibson used/uses 300K pots for certain applications. The higher the number, the more high end the guitar will have.

Have a read here: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-4000.html

That will explain the differences in pots and other electronic info better than I could.
Pots, switches and jacks are all basically universal. The only thing about Ibanez is I think the switches are different. Once you get a real switch the terminals may be in different positions. You'll need this diagram when wiring everything back together if you replace it:

(Invalid img)

Ibanez is an "Import" switch. You could probably get a Fender type and use it.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Oh right on, I figured each brand had it's own specific parts or something.

Thanks for the diagram, the current one is definitely the import.

Thinking of just starting with this:

1 x http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWL31F/Original-Fender-3-Way-Tele-Guitar-Pickup-Lever-Switch.html

2 x http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPC500/CTS-500K-Audio-Taper-Precision-Tolerance-Guitar-Super-Pot.html

1 x http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/JK11/Switchcraft-14-Input-Jack-w-14-Threaded-Collar.html

Being completely ignorant on these matters, is there any need for linear pots or no-load?

For wire gauge, is there anything in particular I should look for, or would this do?
: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WA4/Cloth-Vintage-Style-Guitar-Wire-w-Braided-Shielding.html

Thanks for all the replies.
Those are all real high quality stuff, it will sound great.

You could probably use the original wiring. Wire's wire. It's not going to affect much (unless it's broken somewhere, obviously).

A no load pot will lock it permanently at 10, so if you want a really bright Malmsteen-like tone go for it. Otherwise there's really no need. Linear vs logarithmic pots are all up to personal preference. You're probably used to log pots. Linear pots will have an even sweep but log pots will drop off quickly from 10-5 then slowly from 5-0. If you don't play with the controls much it's not worth spending extra money for special pots.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Im chiming in a little late here but my suggestion would be to do some troubleshooting first. It does sound like you might have a bad output jack....but the rest of your guts might be ok...first test your pickups by bypassing the 3 way switch hook each one to the volume pot and output jack 1 at a time, that will of course tell you if each pickup is functioning as well as the volume pot. Make sure all your grounds are properly soldered then reinstall your 3 way...you might find resoldering will fix all your issues. Then add your tone pot back in the circuit, etc. If your still wondering whether or not you even want to play electric, I wouldn't put all new guts in it. You can run and get a mono 1/4 inch I/O jack from radio shack for your testing purposes. If you find a bad part then order the replacement. Just my 2 cents.
I would open up the guitar and just fix it. Chances are you have a loose wire or two that you can just solder and have a working guitar without spending any more money. RG120 is a really low end Ibanez guitar, just fix it and play it.