So Im selling one of ny guitars to get a tele. I tried out an American Deluxe in store and loved the fretboard and sound, but the obvious pricetag of 1700 is a problem. So I also tried out a Telecaster Classic Series Thinline 72' which is the one with the cutout and liked it a lot too. Price was about 900.I then tried a Tele Nashville tex mex I think and it didnt compare to the other two. My question is, is there a tele that I can find for about 500, maybe 600 max USED online/ebay that is somewhere inbetween thr American Standard and Thinline? Id also like it in sunburst and preferably without a cutout, but if it sounds good with one, so be it.
Last edited by -Lateralus- at Mar 24, 2014,
If tone is your priority, the Baja Tele has the same wiring set up as the American Deluxe, but a very different neck shape. The '72 Deluxe has the same pickups as that Thinline, but the body is solid.
If it is the feel which you prioritise, literally any standard Tele will fall between the American Deluxe and the '72 Thinline in terms of neck shape; the American Deluxe has a slightly thinner C profile and the 72 Thinline has the thick U profile, so the middle-thickness standard C is the closest you can get to halfway between the two. It is also the most common neck profile Fender uses.

Bear in mind that every guitar is going to vary slightly, and don't confuse the feel of the guitar with how a shop may or may not have set the guitar up. Lots of shops order guitars in and stick them on the shelves straight from the box, while others may take the time to set the guitar up properly. As such, you can pick up three of the same guitar and each one will feel a little different, even if they are the same in terms of specification. The '72 Thinline and Nashville Telecasters, for instance, come from the same factory and are part of the same line of instruments. The only difference in terms of feel is the Nashville model has a normal C-shape neck, more like the American Deluxe.

So it may be that finding the guitar which feels right to you isn't a case of looking up a certain model, but more a case of going to some shops and just playing every Tele you can find until one feels right in your hands. There certainly is not any Telecaster model which is guaranteed to deliver a feel and tone between the American Deluxe and the '72 Thinline consistently.

Also, a 'cutout' would be the shape of the guitar. What you're referring to is an 'f-hole'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 24, 2014,
Ive heard the Highway One teles are good. How does the neck and sound on that one compare to the other two? Is it the thick U or standard C profile? That looks like the best option if I can find one used and American for iu nder 600.
After checking around, im thinking I might go for a used $800 2011 American Standard 60th aniversary edition. Is this a pretty good deal?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
used american deluxe?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
looks nice! i bought my first tele last year! love it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What, no G&L rec?

He told me which neck he likes. The Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow will feel pretty different from the neck he said he'd prefer.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Just tweakin' yer beak!

Notice I didn't recommend any Godins, Fernandeses or Reverends?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Me?

I'm just exercising self-control, man. I gave up buying non-essential guitar gear for Lent- prior purchase layaway stuff excepted. So, other than paying luthiers for the custom Teleclones, the only purchase I have made is a guitar strap.

My eBay & Reverb watch lists are growing, though...

I'm terminal, man. G.A.S. will get me killed, I don't doubt!