Not only do I want a 5150III for it's incrediballs tone, I want to use the preamp out for recording using impulses.

Anyone have experience doing this? Do you still need the cab connected to use the preamp out or does it cut the power amp out of the signal entirely?

If you have a demo of that particular set up, I'd love to hear it. No one on Youtube seems to have done it.
Quote by Om_Bongo
Not only do I want a 5150III for it's incrediballs tone, I want to use the preamp out for recording using impulses.
You mean plugging the amp into an audio interface and using a power amp + cab simulator on your computer?
Quote by Om_Bongo
Anyone have experience doing this? Do you still need the cab connected to use the preamp out or does it cut the power amp out of the signal entirely?.
The preamp out doesn't cut the signal from anywhere.
The fx loop is in series with the rest of the circuit I think so it will cut the signal to the power amp, but you will still need to plug the amp into some cab or load or whatever you want to plug it into.

If it's only for recording, for that money I'd get a kemper pa or keep it simple and get a good amp simulator.
Softube amp rooms/bx_rockrack pro much?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
You mean plugging the amp into an audio interface and using a power amp + cab simulator on your computer?
The preamp out doesn't cut the signal from anywhere.
The fx loop is in series with the rest of the circuit I think so it will cut the signal to the power amp, but you will still need to plug the amp into some cab or load or whatever you want to plug it into.

If it's only for recording, for that money I'd get a kemper pa or keep it simple and get a good amp simulator.
Softube amp rooms/bx_rockrack pro much?

Well, it'd be used for playing, but the preamp out would come in handy for when I record for fun. Just to clarify, because you mentioned the FX loop, there's a dedicated preamp out. Because there's this AND an FX loop, I assume they work differently.
I have one of these, I'll shed some light. The Pre-amp out isn't good enough quality to record with which is why no one demos it. It's good enough that you can get ideas down until you want to record it professionally with microphones and what not.

The preamp out doesn't cut signal to your power amp either. It's just another Effects loops send really.

It also doesn't act as a dummy load. You still need a cab plugged in, and the signal level coming out of the preamp out is relative to the volume controls. Meaning you have to play loud to get signal to your computer or whatever anyway. Because of this I'm sure its initial design was to allow use of a separate rack mount power amp, with recording being a secondary, bonus function.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Om_Bongo
Well, it'd be used for playing, but the preamp out would come in handy for when I record for fun. Just to clarify, because you mentioned the FX loop, there's a dedicated preamp out. Because there's this AND an FX loop, I assume they work differently.
Yeah, I know that.
As I've written, that won't cut the signal because it's in parallel with the rest of the audio chain.

The fx loop out on the other hand is in series with the rest so that will cut the signal to the power amp, but having nothing coming to the power amp doesn't mean it'll stop working so you'll still have to use a dummy load.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.