There were a few techniques that I always practised but never got the hang of. For example, tremolo picking and the punk-rock 'gallop' (early The Offspring comes to mind).

For both of these techniques, I was just suddenly able to do them. There was no gradual improvement until I was able to pull those off... I was able to do them one day.

For example with tremolo picking, I learnt the solo to 'Shot in the dark' by Ozzy Osbourne a couple of years ago but I was never able to play the tremolo picking/tapping part at the end of the solo. Then last summer I thought I'd give it a go and I was just suddenly able to tremolo pick!

Is this common and has it happened to you too? Are there some things that you can't really practice for and they just come with time?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
yeah vibrato with me just clicked. one day i couldn't do it, the next i could. I've improved and refined it since, but the initial being able to do it or not was instantaneous. Sweep picking was similar. Again, I've got better at it over time (i'm still not great at it ), but the initial hurdle seemed to be instant.

No idea if that's the same for everyone or if it's just me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tremolo picking worked for me immediately as soon as I got used to alternate picking. I had a consistent attack and rhythm to it, with the only improvement made over the years being a bit of speed. Vibrato also worked immediately, but I wish it hadn't because the way it came naturally too me was wrong and holds me back. I can only vibrato away from me towards the high E, where as you're supposed to do it on both directions, so I can't vibrato on the high E string. I can't even make it happen with deliberate slowed down effort. So that's awesome.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Vibrato also worked immediately, but I wish it hadn't because the way it came naturally too me was wrong and holds me back. I can only vibrato away from me towards the high E, where as you're supposed to do it on both directions, so I can't vibrato on the high E string. I can't even make it happen with deliberate slowed down effort. So that's awesome.

I was the opposite. I could only really vibrato away from the high E for a good while- that's the one that just "clicked" (and luckily enough for me most vibrato is done on the higher strings). But I worked on the other way and I think I have it now that I can do it either way equally. So don't worry about the way that you can do it (that's awesome, you can already do that, and you don't want to lose that), and just practice doing it the other way until you can do it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I swear this is a true story...
i fell asleep once with John Mayers Continuum album on repeat. So i ended up having a dream that i was playing his version of Bold as Love. That morning i picked up the guitar and played the song almost exactly as John Mayer did on the album, solo and all.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I think it has a lot to do with muscle memories needing to be built up. There's been certain part of songs that I practice for hours for days and it never comes out right. After taking a break for a few days, the thing just clicks the next time I pick up the guitar.
True story.

As a teenager, once spent most of the evening trying to learn 2-handed tapped arpeggios, was the first time I'd tried, and could not get the timing down at all.

Went to sleep and had a very weird dream.
The world I was in was very brightly coloured, with a volcano spewing yellow slime (teenagers and spots heh).
At the top of the volcano was a big house, and inside was Steve Vai, dressed as a Wizard with a big book in front of him.

He opened the book and I could see it was all his guitar secrets written down.
He closed the book, I woke up, picked up my guitar and had the technique down perfect.

Vai as my own personal inner guide. Could be worse I guess.....
Yeah it's kinda cool and weird!
Recently had one of those. I have never alt picked and found it feeling unnatural, I would always economy pick when changing or skipping strings and my brain would just not accept alt picking no matter how hard I focused.
I recently started learning a new song and it's tremolo picked riffs throughout. All of a sudden during practice I realize I'm alt picking everything.
It's really WTF
Quote by fanapathy
Yeah it's kinda cool and weird!
Recently had one of those. I have never alt picked and found it feeling unnatural, I would always economy pick when changing or skipping strings and my brain would just not accept alt picking no matter how hard I focused.
I recently started learning a new song and it's tremolo picked riffs throughout. All of a sudden during practice I realize I'm alt picking everything.
It's really WTF

I envy anybody who naturally economy picks. It seems to be an incredibly valuable technique that most guitarists don't have, and I can't get it down for the life of me.
My weird dreams never seem to have guitars in them. Anyway, I have come back to songs I once thought were impossible and now I'm able to play them.
Very common.
You absorb a lot of information, make muscle memory and then one day it all clicks.
happened to me a few times, most notably with pinch harmonics. one day I was fighting not to throw my guitar at a wall because of this technique, then the next day I could do it effortlessly. I wondered, why was I having trouble with this again? it also happened with sweep picking. I went from sucking really REALLY bad one day, to not sucking nearly as much the next day(its ok, but still needs work).

tis a weird thing...
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I tried the Iron Man solo for about a week, I got it down just not up to speed. Didn't play it for a month and a half or so, and it came on shuffle while I was jamming so I figured I'd go with it and it just kinda...Happened.

The same thing happened with sweep picking. I gave up on it for the time being, and next time I tried it I was worlds better than I was previously.
Yep, happened to me. One day I started alternate picking and now I do it without thinking about it. I agree with an above post that sometimes you need to take a break and when you come back something may "click".