Ok so, from reading the other threads, I'm very cautious with my gear and wanting to know how I can protect it and myself fron electric shocks. I'm about to be rehearsing and gigging soon, so I want to know what I can do to protect myself and my bandmates from any serious injury.

Cheers guys.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Get a good surge protector.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
A surge protector will protect your gear from voltage spikes but will not protect you from electrocution.

A ground lift will eliminate hum from a ground loop but removes all protection from electrocution.

A polarity indicator on your power strip will tell you if everyone is in polarity and if you have an active earth ground. I recommend this for all circuits that feed the band.

A GFCI will protect you in most cases from failing equipment especially outdoors.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
A surge protector will protect your gear from voltage spikes but will not protect you from electrocution.

A ground lift will eliminate hum from a ground loop but removes all protection from electrocution.

A polarity indicator on your power strip will tell you if everyone is in polarity and if you have an active earth ground. I recommend this for all circuits that feed the band.

A GFCI will protect you in most cases from failing equipment especially outdoors.

I'm not understanding what a polarity Indicator or a GFCI is... Sorry, I'm dumb!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A GFCI is one of those outlets with the button on it you see near your sinks.

I was unaware they made ones you could just hook up though. Do they?

EDIT: They do, you can buy one on Amazon for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/TRC-90265-6-012-Shockshield-Portable-Protection/dp/B000XU5MEG
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Mar 24, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
A GFCI is one of those outlets with the button on it you see near your sinks.

I was unaware they made ones you could just hook up though. Do they?

EDIT: They do, you can buy one on Amazon for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/TRC-90265-6-012-Shockshield-Portable-Protection/dp/B000XU5MEG

I'm in the UK. Never seen one of those before!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I'm in the UK. Never seen one of those before!

Oh my bad man haha. You use that 240V stuff instead of 120V like here in America.

Apparently your looks something like this?

Can't seem to find a portable one for less than $100 though.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Polarity tester. Sometimes they can be found on an industrial power strip.
http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CD2TD4ZJ931XTCP0T61

Outdoor GFCI Power strip:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-4-Outlet-6-Feet-Workshop/dp/B002RN13UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395700015&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+gfci+power+strip

These are your best defense against getting zapped. Valid in USA only. The EU has different tools to achieve the same thing.

The next step is to total up the amperage draw of your entire band and see how many circuits you will need. My band can run on 1x15A circuit without lights. Van
Halen requires a bit more power for their show.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 24, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Polarity tester. Sometimes they can be found on an industrial power strip.
http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CD2TD4ZJ931XTCP0T61

Outdoor GFCI Power strip:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-4-Outlet-6-Feet-Workshop/dp/B002RN13UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395700015&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+gfci+power+strip

These are your best defense against getting zapped. Valid in USA only. The EU has different tools to achieve the same thing.

The next step is to total up the amperage draw of your entire band and see how many circuits you will need. My band can run on 1x15A circuit without lights. Van
Halen requires a bit more power for their show.

Right, I'm in the UK so what you've linked is useless for me because of I think it's the 120/220 thing?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yep, when inquiring about electrical safety it's always a good idea to mention your location in the OP. Search Amazon UK to see if they have the same tools for your area. An Outdoor GFCI is pretty common. Every electrician will have a polarity tester in their kit.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep, when inquiring about electrical safety it's always a good idea to mention your location in the OP. Search Amazon UK to see if they have the same tools for your area. An Outdoor GFCI is pretty common. Every electrician will have a polarity tester in their kit.

Yeah can't believe I missed that out, alright. I will do.

I'll have a quick look, come back with what I find.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
This should work to power your band. If I was playing outdoors in the UK I would expect weather and want GFI protection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-Outdoor-Power-Switched-Socket/dp/B004KL0A8W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W8C08FV1F5G724MKS5R

From what I hear an RCD might not protect you as much as you'd like- you might as well use one but it can lull you into a false sense of security.

i heard you can install a capacitor somewhere in your guitar's wiring to help, but I'd need to look up exactly where.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not sure if a capacitor is the right item. As an electrician, all i know is a capacitor is used to store an electrical charge usually for starting a motor or light ballast something for that application, not protection.
The UK equivalent of a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) is the best answer should the condition present itself to someone getting blasted. They are required here (US) by OSHA on all major construction when working with electrical tools ( drills, saws, etc.). Especially if the chance for water or moisture to enter into the circuit and allow anyone using electrical devices to become energized. electrocuted basically.

Thats what you need. Get one with multiple outlets, or plug a surge strip into a single plug which will make all the outlets on the strip protected. They are resettable if they trip with the push of a button.
Just looked it up. An RCD as you call them is the equivalent of a GFCI here. It can sense if the current is not balanced between the ground and the two phases ( in a 240 volt system) which means the current is going to ground elsewhere, potentially a body getting electrocuted.
looked at cajundaddys suggestion thats a good item. But, like I said if your plugging all your gear into one outlet, as is the case sometimes when gigging, a single with a power strip/surge protector plugged in will protect everything plugged in off of it.

If you do it that way your protected from electrocution and have your equipment protected against damaging power surges. Surges can be a possibility at some dive bars and outdoor venues where the electrical system of the venuie is questionable when all different types of equipment are pulling loads off of a circuit.
To be honest I've never worried too much about it. I've had beer spilled on my rig, water from a wet t-shirt contest surround my floorboard and never gave it too much thought. Thats an electrician for ya. Sometimes were a little too complacent. Hell, I've been hit pretty hard with some electricity on rare occasions. You truly have to have the right events to get killed but it can happen. Not bad to be thinking of protecting yourself
GFCI/RCD circuits are now mandatory here for all new fuse box installations so the only time you'll see a GFCI equipped outlet is on really old buildings where they have been retrofitted. Most things in the UK are the same as here so I'd be surprised if it isn't the same. I hate them because test gear can often set them off because they are so sensitive but they do save lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In America GFCI's are still required in bathrooms and other areas in residential dwellings however AFCI's ( Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers are required in most areas of habitation. Those are a bitch, trip if you unplug a light while lit. The little arc created trips the breaker. They are not required, however, in commercial buildings such as a bar or club. You really only need to worry about this at all if your playing outside where weather is an issue.
I wonder if what cathbard is talking about applies to residential. Different countries, different codes, but the electrical engineering aspect usually trickles to all in one form or another of most developed countries.
Cause I was just thinking about like, say a microphone has a problem and nobody knows about it and getting an electric shock if you touch it.

Same with if some wires aren't wired in properly in an old pub or something and plugging something in can do some damage, etc.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Cause I was just thinking about like, say a microphone has a problem and nobody knows about it and getting an electric shock if you touch it.

Same with if some wires aren't wired in properly in an old pub or something and plugging something in can do some damage, etc.

These are valid concerns. If the house system is on one circuit and your guitar amp is on another, touching both at the same time can give your mouth a shock. This happened to me a few weeks ago and we put a polarity tester on the circuit and found the problem. The backstage outlet was mis-wired with H and N reversed. Plugging my amp into to a different outlet solved the problem I am not sure the problem exists with two Hot leads and no Neutral with 220v but I suspect polarity still matters.

SRV was seriously zapped several times while playing in random juke joints around the country in the 70s.

Playing indoors, I want to know that all our circuits have correct polarity. Playing outside in weather, I want GFCI/RCD protection on our circuit.

Quote by pushingthrough
Not sure if a capacitor is the right item. As an electrician, all i know is a capacitor is used to store an electrical charge usually for starting a motor or light ballast something for that application, not protection.

You know way more than me about this (that goes without saying), and I'm going on memory here (because the forum it was posted on has a rubbish search function, and it might even have been posted on the old version of that forum which has now disappeared), but I think the capacitor was somewhere along the ground wire, because caps don't let direct current through (it was a big cap). I think it was to stop you from getting electrocuted when you touched the guitar's bridge. The same guy (who's normally pretty good with electrical stuff) said that an RCD doesn't always protect you, either (though I'd agree that you might as well use one anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes I was talking about residential systems, not that there's any difference unless you're running three phase into the property. Even then it's basically the same, you still have a neutral and an earth, you just have three phases instead of one.

Bottom line, call an electrician. Don't **** with 230V, it hurts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah definitely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?