So heres the dilemma

Home recording-

so many technical faults and problems, makes me less creative by the time i get a track down.

Using vsts esp drum vsts sounds robotic and plastic. After crafting your file it sounds accurate but lifeless.

Studio Recording

Problems performing with limited timeframe. If a whole band rarely everyone performs well.Unnatural situation, ive never been filly happy regardless of how much prep goes into pre studio.

Drums sound lively, but often less pro quality that vsts.

How do you guys go about fixing this! Very frustrating. Do you mix the two approaches, if so how?
Sounds like you're just complaining about not being good enough. Remember a good tradesman never blames their tools.
There is as much skill and talent needed to get a great recording as there is to play a great performance... And they are very different skills. I prefer to do the playing and leave the tech to the techies I trust. If I must record, I will run the DAW all night and let someone else run it while I am playing. I can't do both at the same time. It's a right brain/left brain thing.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Sounds like you need to simplify your set-up.
What are the problems you are running into on the technical side?

I had the same problem with programming drums, its basically a new art that is improved with practice. I don't really have the time to learn how to do thing properly so I use a guy online who plays to my songs on an electric kit. Therefore I get human sounding, professional quality drums.

For studio situation I think you need to actually find a good studio. Or practice enough to where you can all do live recording.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
Sounds like you need to simplify your set-up.
What are the problems you are running into on the technical side?

I had the same problem with programming drums, its basically a new art that is improved with practice. I don't really have the time to learn how to do thing properly so I use a guy online who plays to my songs on an electric kit. Therefore I get human sounding, professional quality drums.

For studio situation I think you need to actually find a good studio. Or practice enough to where you can all do live recording.

None now but problems like
Latency
Getting vsts to work
Noise on tracks
Interface issues
Midi assigning issues
Plugins crashing
Recording simple demo tracks? Use an all in one DAW like Roland/Fostex/Tascam to eliminate all the techie nonsense.

Want to record your masterpiece for public release? Always always use a pro studio. You will not get the results you want by recording in your bedroom. It does not matter how much you spend on gear. Another set of trained ears and hands are required unless you are Paul McCartney.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by alienholdsworth
Latency
Getting vsts to work
Noise on tracks
Interface issues
Midi assigning issues
Plugins crashing

1.Latency is cause by your computer not being up to par.
Have you tried lowering your buffer size or recording at a low bit rate?
2.Are you using usb/firewire/thunderport?

Noise on tracks, I need examples to help you out with this man.

What are you trying to do with midi?

See latter half of #1
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by alienholdsworth
Latency
Getting vsts to work
Noise on tracks
Interface issues
Midi assigning issues
Plugins crashing

Hence why you need to learn what your doing.
You're not in a dilemma, you're just being stubborn.
Quote by alienholdsworth
Latency
Getting vsts to work
Noise on tracks
Interface issues
Midi assigning issues
Plugins crashing

Latency: That's a driver/computer power issue.
Getting VSTs to work: usually you don't have problems if you pay for them
Noise on tracks: Meaning what exactly...?
Interface issues: This is more drivers than anything else. Gotta know what to look for.
Midi assigning issues: That's not really that hard.
Plugins crashing. Usually not a problem if you pay for them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would probably advise you to dump PC recording and get dedicated recorder and a good drum machine that you can program, that way you can focus on the music.

Boss 880 or 770 or 660, one of the multitrackers, maybe Zoom R16. Don't overstress about plugins, garbage in is garbage out so probably focus on what you capture.

There is also no shame in paying studio drummer to do the job - that's what we did after extensive programming that sounded robotic and just got ditched for the real thing.

www.DescentIntoMadness.com