I've had some problems with my tonsils in the past. They always seem inflammed. I used to get strep throat very frequently (3-5 times per year) but it generally went away. I went to my dentist in December because my throat was getting dry too easily, he said my tonsils were swollen but I hadn't been sick whatsoever.

I've been getting pain in my tonsils after singing for a long while now. I don't get a scratchy throat at all, and it's not a sore throat. It's specifically located in the tonsils. It doesn't affect my singing voice in any way, and the pain isn't severe or anything. It's just a bit more uncomfortable to sing.

I'm fairly confident I'm using proper technique. I trained with a vocal coach for the first 8 months of my time singing. I literally rarely ever tried to sing so I started with proper training. Plus there's no scratchiness in my throat and I don't lose my voice. I've also now begun yelling (like at sporting events) with the same technique that I use to sing and I don't get any of the symptoms afterwards that I used to. So I think the technique is fine.

Is it normal to get this? Has anyone else gotten this? Has anyone removed their tonsils to aid with this?
Last edited by Milan999 at Mar 24, 2014,
I don't think it is normal to get this. Try mixing in some Manuka Honey (Get it from a Pharmacy) into green tea and drinking it after you sing next time. It should help with inflammation and sore tonsils. If you can't find Manuka Honey, use normal Honey...but it probably won't work as well.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

This also hasn't led to further damage/inflammation. I'm thinking I may just have enlarged tonsils.
Does this happen no matter what you sing?
Can you sing in a comfortable register without any complications, or does it usually happen if you sing difficult melodies (Usually somewhere around G-A4 and above)?
Haha, how'd you know where my upper end is?

It generally happens the worst when belting from G4-B4 (I can't go higher than that). But I do feel discomfort when I'm singing even in comfortable ranges.

But there's absolutely no permanent effects on the voice. My throat doesn't hurt afterwards; it literally only feels uncomfortable when singing. It's just a really strong discomfort and pain on the sides of my throat area (where the tonsils are). Never in the middle area of the throat.
Last edited by Milan999 at Mar 26, 2014,
I knew because that area is very difficult for pretty much all male singers.
It might be due to "closing" your throat a little too much and therefore putting unnecessary strain on the voice.
It's a little interesting because I sometimes experience exactly what you are describing, and I've thought about getting my tonsils checked for swelling, and eventually maybe even removed.
I very rarely experience issues if I'm simply singing along to a song in a lower octave though. But I think I know exactly the feeling you're describing.
If you get a check at the doctor or find out anything that helps, I would be interested in knowing.
I hadn't thought about the tonsils getting irritated by singing. I'll have to reseach that area.
See I don't think tonsils are normally supposed to be irritated by singing. I'm thinking of going to the doctor soon to maybe check it out. Will post if/when I do.
Actually dude I gave singing a rest for a few days, did it again today and tried to hit prolonged G4's (Coldplay - Speed of Sound chorus) after hitting A4's. And this is what did it. I was fine singing lower octave stuff; and honestly it's the throat closing like you said.

You have any tips to correct this on higher end notes? I'm fine until about G4, maybe F4.
I have one suggestion, sing a tiny bit softer. Also check your vowel pronounciation, I can sing A4's with relative ease but when If I don't watch it while singing I'll get too loud. Especially when I'm singing a vowels and o vowel sounds. I try to sing them as narrowly as the song would allow.
Here's something to try, sing an A4 quietly, and then crescendo up until you're a reasonable volume and try hold it there. We have a habit of belting notes that we don't quite have complete control over, which I don't like to do, so I avoid singing C5's and above in mix until I can control them properly.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Mar 28, 2014,
I'm not sure how to hit these notes "quietly" besides hitting them in my head voice. Do you mean to hit it in head voice?
I'm not sure, if you wait until later today I might be able to record an example for you (It's currently 2:00am where I am). I think I start in a light mix though and then gradually add more weight as I get louder.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Mar 28, 2014,
Oh I see. Yeah that sounds like it's in head voice to me. What I'm doing is belting the higher notes within my modal range, for example:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSB2k_i8wIY

The first few notes I believe extend from G4 to A4 or A#4. He hits them in his modal range. I can hit them but it puts strain on my voice. Not a scratchy type of pain but like I'm flexing the muscles in my throat too hard.