Ok, so I've been trying to get all my gear sorted out lately. I'm selling most of my stuff to buy new, simplier stuff. All I want to do is play through my headphones (cant bother roommates/neighbors) and record my guitar playing. I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing a Zoom G3X as my multieffects pedal and I currently have a Blackstar HT-20 tube amp. The HT20 though doesnt have a headphone input on it.

So basically, my question is can I hook my HT20 up to my Zoom G3X and then hook that into my computer via USB and silence my amp and use it through headphones? Or do I need something like a mixer? Will a mixer even silence the amp when it goes though the multieffects pedal into my pc for recording?
No
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You need a speaker load and cab simulator. It's not even worth it though. You're better off just doing everything through the G3X.
It would be much easier to skip the amp and just use the pedal. Plugging the amp into stuff doesn't silence it, you'd have to disconnect the speaker but replace it with a dummy load of some kind otherwise your amp will just burn itself out. Then it won't sound like you're used to so you'll need a cab sim as mentioned above. Kind of a lot of trouble.

If you aren't happy with just the Zoom pedal you're better off investing in either a different multi-effects unit or software emulators of some kind.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by -Lateralus-
my Zoom G3X and then hook that into my computer via USB and silence my amp and use it through headphones

Even taking your amp out of the equation, why would you do this?

You know you can just plug the headphones into the G3X don't you?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Is that the Blackstar HT Studio 20? The specs states that it has a speaker emulated output. That looks like a standard line out that you can connect to a mixer and listen through a headphone.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
It would be much easier to skip the amp and just use the pedal. Plugging the amp into stuff doesn't silence it, you'd have to disconnect the speaker but replace it with a dummy load of some kind otherwise your amp will just burn itself out. Then it won't sound like you're used to so you'll need a cab sim as mentioned above. Kind of a lot of trouble.

If you aren't happy with just the Zoom pedal you're better off investing in either a different multi-effects unit or software emulators of some kind.

I thought the zoom G3X acts as a multi effects unit?
Quote by royc
Is that the Blackstar HT Studio 20? The specs states that it has a speaker emulated output. That looks like a standard line out that you can connect to a mixer and listen through a headphone.

Yea its the Studio 20, the big version not the head. Would doing a line out to a mixer silence the amp speaker though?
No it would not. But you can use the master volume for that, since the line-out only responses to the seperate channel volumes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's
Gibson Midtown Custom
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Telecaster Standard
Gretsch Corvette
Danelectro DC59

Crybaby | TS9 | Korg | Little Big Muff | PS-6| MXR Chorus | TC Spark| DL4
Yes, line outs are independent of the volume control so you can turn down the amp volume.
Last edited by royc at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by -Lateralus-
I thought the zoom G3X acts as a multi effects unit?

It is. It's a very good multi effects unit.

It's also got plenty of amp sims that sound great when you're playing through headphones.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by -Lateralus-
Great detailed response...

What else do you feel was required?

Given your stated requirements, the answer is simply "No".
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by royc
Yes, line outs are independent of the volume control so you can turn down the amp volume.

Kinda confused here. So I can turn down the master volume but still hear thr amp through the g3x or computer? Im a noob when it comes to amps, so I dont really know how thr line ins/outs work too well.
Forget about using your amp for anything you're discussing here.

To play through headphones, use your G3X.

To record, use your G3X.

Your G3X has some great amp sims that you can use when playing through headphones. They can also be used when you're recording using the USB functionality it also has.

Why are you so insistent upon using your amp for any of this?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Back away from your guitar amp. Amplifiers amplify... that is what they do. Connect your guitar to a multi-effects pedal, Pod, Vox Tonelab or other digital amp sim and wail away on headphone nirvana.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The simulated out on your amp has speaker simulation (hence the name) applied to the signal, so it's really not much different from just using the G3X by itself. Simulated or emulated outs are for sending the preamp signal to a mixing board, usually for gigging purposes where micing the speaker cab is proving problematic. It's actually almost never used in a studio, since micing the amp in an isolation booth is so much better and very easy in a studio.

Even when using it, the power amp remains on and the amplifier still needs to have a load, such as a speaker. Yes, you could then keep the power amp volume down, but a preamp into a simulated output into a G3X into a computer is more of a mess—and just as digital and synthetic—as simply using the G3X by itself.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by -Lateralus-
Great detailed response...

He's right, though -- Given the questions you asked, the answer is simple and there really aren't details to be offered.

The easiest thing to do is to plug your headphones into the G3X (not only is it a multiFX unit, but there are also a bunch of amp/cabinet emulations on it), leave the BlackScar on the shelf and wail. You can do the same with recording; the BlechStar is superfluous.

There IS a way to use your Blackstar at very low volumes while cranking it (that doesn't involve a tone-changing attenuator), but it's pricey. Go visit the Fluxtone Speaker site. Fluxtone makes a solution that works by using an active variable electromagnet on the back of your favorite speaker cone/basket assembly. This reduces the efficiency of your speaker without changing the whole output transformer/voice coil relationship (as an attenuator would). You can throw your amp into power tube distortion if you like, and the Fluxtone will reduce the volume by up to 25 dB, the equivalent of making your 30W amp sound like a 1/8thW amp. http://www.fluxtone-speakers.com/
Quote by GaryBillington
Forget about using your amp for anything you're discussing here.

To play through headphones, use your G3X.

To record, use your G3X.

Your G3X has some great amp sims that you can use when playing through headphones. They can also be used when you're recording using the USB functionality it also has.

Why are you so insistent upon using your amp for any of this?

Im not insistent, I just want to make sure ive explored all my options before I go and sell my 600 dollar amp. If ir was possible to do what i asked at a low cost i would, but its apparent it isnt, so i can just go ahead and sell my amp now.
You never mentioned selling your amp earlier in the thread!

Keep it. You may not need it for practicing at home right now, but you never know when you might need one in the future. You can't turn up to a jam with friends & use your headphones...
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
You never mentioned selling your amp earlier in the thread!

Keep it. You may not need it for practicing at home right now, but you never know when you might need one in the future. You can't turn up to a jam with friends & use your headphones...

I only play by myself and due to the fact I live in either an apartment or duplex type structure, ill likely never use my actual amp. I rather sell it and use the money to buy another guitar. I can always get a lighter and cheaper amp in the future. Hell, i have a solid state Vox Valvetronix AD15 I havent used in forever. I could probably just keep that one over the blackstar.
If you move to headphone-only practicing, you'll want to plan on budgeting about $100-200 for headphones. Studio standards are the Sony 7506, AKG 240D, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770, etc. You really don't need to spend MORE than that, but I'd be wary of buying things that say Dr Dre, "Beats" and so on -- you'll get bass-heavy headphones designed for pumping up MP3s to car stereo window-busting bottom end levels.
Audio Technica make some good ones too. If you are on a tight budget, they are a good alternative. Personally, I like AKG when it comes to the higher end stuff.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Audio Technica make some good ones too. If you are on a tight budget, they are a good alternative. Personally, I like AKG when it comes to the higher end stuff.

K, i'll look into that stuff.