Has anyone else noticed every ounce of hate for grip trainers come from people who have never tried them and I would speculate practice and extremely long amount of time. I think it's unfair because after looking at it for some time even if it doesn't improve overall playing using it during the day at times you couldn't practice would net you gains anyway. I honestly wish I would have purchased one when I first started trying to build speed or even just play the guitar. I mean there's isn't a downside to having extra strength in your fretting or picking hand it gives you more to work with when start to sync up your hands. As for injury I read up and there are no immediate dangers of using one although over training may be possible because it's a muscle just like any muscle you have to know when to stop and use a little common sense. All and all this post is to tell people interested in them to go ahead and grab them ,it's not a substitute for practice but I wish my hand was stronger so it would just be me syncing them up with a metronome, and also only listen to people who "BOUGHT AND USED THE PRODUCT" I assume the hate usually comes from people who either have never used one and trained for they're strength building it over time (not knocking that) but believe due to their success that that's the definitive way to do it and become stuck in their way, or people who begin to use it at a point at which it can't help them noticeably because they're already so fast the gains aren't noticeable or necessary. Sorry for the length but it bothers me how much hate there is for a product that actually does what it says. If you want to build strength in your hand buy one, it's just that simple.

I can't wait for my varigrip to come in the mail.
Just sounds like time that could be spent playing the actual instrument. I could say to you, "If you want to build strength in your hand, play more often."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Just sounds like time that could be spent playing the actual instrument. I could say to you, "If you want to build strength in your hand, play more often."

I meant more in terms of volume, practicing is great for building strength but usually guitar is limited, but with a grip you can practice while driving, while eating, while playing the guitar lol, while commuting homicides while working out, while running and etc. It's also better for building strength it won't make you good at guitar but it will strengthen your hand more effectively. I digress it's only for the timez you cant practice and it's no substitute for actual playing time.
Yes, I often think whilst I'm driving to Uni, "Hmm, why am I not working out my hand?"

That's what Friday nights in are for.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I use one of these :

http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Hand-Exerciser-2-Pack/dp/B009AYRGCW/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=10ZG7ZZJGVNWAKGXQJKV

Also, when I have a lot of text to type, I use paragraphs.
I'm not quite sure how to indent on my cell phone ...

I just don't like the non adjustable tension.

I think Friday nights are for movement up and down the neck if you catch my drift wink wink..

It makes driving feel like a waste of time cuz I cant work u out my finger biceps....
I have arthritis, I couldn't think of anything worse. I have a limited number of hours in a week that I can push my hand, I aint wasting that time on a bunch of springs. My hand's plenty strong enough, that aint the problem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Arthritis ouch that sucks I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it... but everyone else isn't as unfortunate.....
You don't need hand strength to play guitar. If you're playing efficiently you should be only fretting with just enough pressure for the note to ring clear.

These things are redundant, useless and can potentially cause tendonitis.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
The trouble with finger strength is, as Nick has pointed out, you don't need it (unless your guitar is set up like a log).

What you do need is muscle memory, for the specific motions you use playing guitar, which, funnily enough, you get from playing the guitar. If you can't practice all the time then don't wear out your fingers, just find more time to get behind your guitar.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Are guitar center online review valid because everyone who bought this said it improved their playing it said it either made them faster and made it easier for them to play the guitar... I don't think guitar center tinkers with their reviews...... have any of you ever actually used one... ok humor me and just for once let's switch sides if your against grip trainers list all the advantages you can think off and if you like the idea, like me, we can list the disadvantages....
Last edited by ayindewilburg at Mar 25, 2014,
Plenty of sick people get better whilst taking sugar pills too.

Sometimes just thinking they're improving their hand makes them practice more which leads to better playing. Sometimes the belief they are doing something to improve their playing leads to improvements, or sometimes it can be just that the belief is so strong they think their playing is better when it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, these things have advantages... finger, hand and tendon strength, they vastly improve grip too. But those things aren't actually used in guitar. They don't do anything for finger speed (excess muscle mass actually impedes speed) or finger control and dexterity. These things you develop from playing. And if these people spent all the extra time practising instead of squeezing a set of springs with the heart-felt belief that that would improve their playing more than not playing a guitar, they would probably notice a much greater increase in their playing abilities.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Mar 25, 2014,
An old bandmate of mine has a Planet Waves one.

When he bought it, he was really excited about it. I tried it once for a few minutes before band practice and didn't like it; when the practice started and i picked up the guitar, i was using way too much pressure on the strings without even realizing.
I was sounding out of tune, but after checking the tuner a couple of times it was clear that the guitar was perfectly tuned. Only then i noticed that the insane pressure i was using was making me sound out of tune.

So, that's a no for me. Even though i accept that it probably just doesn't work for me, and works fine for everyone else -- my bandmate didn't have the same issue.

But once the novelty of it wore off, even my bandmate completely stopped using it. I guess that he wasn't seeing many benefits and/or improvements...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I mean I understand maybe it is a placebo I doubt it but everyone keeps saying practice more when in reality it would only be used for times when I couldn't actually practice guitar. Idk I guess I just feel like while I'm driving or eating or at work I wish I could be playing so this seems like a way to improve or at least do so something I mean I usually pretend I'm fretting a steering wheel or desk but it doesn't do the trick
I think you should buy one (it probably won't hurt anything but your pocketbook, after all).

I really never needed one; I came from playing piano (still do) to guitar. Finger strength has never been an issue.
Quote by ayindewilburg
Are guitar center online review valid because everyone who bought this said it improved their playing it said it either made them faster and made it easier for them to play the guitar... I don't think guitar center tinkers with their reviews...

It's difficult to take reviews on guitar sales sites without a bag of salt.

Guitar Center? Maybe two bags.
it does exactly what it was designed to do; strengthen your hands.

however, they only thing that can make you better at playing your instrument, is, well, actually playing your instrument.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I have a Varigrip and it's nice to use when you're in class or something and nowhere near your guitar. I bought it to help with pinky strength and range. It helped a bit, but you have to keep up with it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I used to squeeze a tennis ball when I wasn't close enough to a guitar.

Like Cathbard though, I just play as regularly as I can.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Yea, I purchased it and use I'll use it in my down time if I see any significant changes I'll let you know, and if it sucks I'll still inform, but I was just saying it seemed like this product was dismissed so quickly I don't think it ever got a chance to truly be tested.