Page 1 of 5
Okay so US UGer here.
My question is why do non US citizens get so seemingly upset when Americans talk about their heritage. I'm not trying to start some huge argument because I am actually curious. Like me for example, my moms side of the family is prodominately Irish and my dads has a strong Welsh background as well. Granted I don't go around parading it because that is iritating beyond belief, I agree. But if I were to talk to a friend whose family had just come over to the states and mentioned above statement, I would receive a nice scoff. Thoughts? Rage?
It's not just the US.

There are loads of people in the UK as well that go "Oh, I'm Scottish" - when you ask them about it, it turns out that they're grandfathers, third uncles cousin once went to Scotland by accident, which makes you about as Scottish as my left foot.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Because it really doesn't matter if your American, English, Ghanian, or a quarter Polynesian.

Also probably cos some of you Americans are often like "haha Britains sucks lol ugly people chavs horrible teeth" then you're so "proud" to show off your "Welsh heritage" like it's something to be proud of :/

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Well, if you trace my history back, pretty much both sides of my family originated in Africa!

I AM AFRICUN. That's why.

Maybe it's cool in America where everything is like.. One giant blob of country, but EU has so many countries, that you get tired of people going "OH yea, i'm 1/12 Cherokee and 2/28 Italian"

It's just annoying. I think the reason is the big "so what" that surely must follow. Or maybe it's just the general very anti-nationalistic view in EU. Your heritage really doesn't matter squat, and if you just had some great uncle who once took a dump in Turkey.. Here it comes.. So what?

*shrug* To me, it's like if i randomly say "I stubbed my toe once". How do you reply? You scoff. Noone cares <.<
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Yea, to summarize what has been said above, Europeans just tend not to care about heritage.

Except when it comes to immigrants though, even 2nd or 3rd generation kids of immigrants are still seen as 'maroccans' or 'turks' or whatever. Such hypocrisy
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I probably got more laughs out of these than I should of. I kind of figured it was an arrogance thing and I agree with that. That would aggravate me to no end. I don't parade my heritage as mentioned, but if it comes up in conversation, I'll throw it out there. Am I proud of it? I don't really think so because my bloodline is completely out of my control, but I do accept it for what it is.
Quote by captainsnazz
We don't get upset, we're laughing at you.

This
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by Random9000
I probably got more laughs out of these than I should of. I kind of figured it was an arrogance thing and I agree with that. That would aggravate me to no end. I don't parade my heritage as mentioned, but if it comes up in conversation, I'll throw it out there. Am I proud of it? I don't really think so because my bloodline is completely out of my control, but I do accept it for what it is.

Yeah but it doesn't really matter, it's entirely incidental. If you live a Native American lifestyle...well then yeah it's important. But not if you like a typical Westerner lifestyle. Doesn't really matter if your great grandfather was half Scottish. If it doesn't affect your every day life so most of the time people don't care if you bring it up because it's just a completely random fact.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by metacarpi
It's not just the US.

There are loads of people in the UK as well that go "Oh, I'm Scottish" - when you ask them about it, it turns out that they're grandfathers, third uncles cousin once went to Scotland by accident, which makes you about as Scottish as my left foot.

I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to be Scottish.
its really becoming irrelevant, and im sure in 20 years it will not be a talking point. I used to be a patriotic Scottish person (living in Scotland), but im not my country.
Quote by Random9000
I probably got more laughs out of these than I should of.
Work harder on your grammar, then you'll have something to be proud of
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Because Americans will appropriate cultures they have no real connection to to give themselves identities in a country that they feel lacks enough history to provide one itself
Quote by captainsnazz
We don't get upset, we're laughing at you.

US user here

this is the answer though

inb4 " u r a trater'
banned
Quote by Random9000
Okay so US UGer here.
My question is why do non US citizens get so seemingly upset when Americans talk about their heritage. I'm not trying to start some huge argument because I am actually curious. Like me for example, my moms side of the family is prodominately Irish and my dads has a strong Welsh background as well. Granted I don't go around parading it because that is iritating beyond belief, I agree. But if I were to talk to a friend whose family had just come over to the states and mentioned above statement, I would receive a nice scoff. Thoughts? Rage?

It depends how you talk about it.

If you use it as a badge; if you think that somehow that heritage still has a shaping effect on you (aside from enforced celebrations like St Patrick's Day), it can sound a little silly from the outside when all we see and hear is a Yank.
Quote by Random9000
Okay so US UGer here.

The "I'm Irish" thing is slightly annoying merely because it becomes confusing very quickly. In my head when someone says that I assume they were born in Ireland and moved to the States or something.
Other than that I don't give a ****, my Dad's an Irish American. The only other time it becomes slightly irritating is when some (and this is a tiny minority) of Irish Americans start glorifying republicanism without any real understanding of the history.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Northernmight
Well, if you trace my history back, pretty much both sides of my family originated in Africa!

I AM AFRICUN. That's why.

Go back far enough and EVERYBODY can trace their history back to Africa, it's where the human species originated after all.

We're ALL effectively African in that respect.

Quote by Jehannum
If you use it as a badge; if you think that somehow that heritage still has a shaping effect on you (aside from enforced celebrations like St Patrick's Day), it can sound a little silly from the outside when all we see and hear is a Yank.

Agreed.

Personaly, I was born in Britain, so I regard myself as 'British'.
But Britain, like America, is a mongrel nation because it's been invaded and settled by all sorts of races such as the Normans, Vikings, Saxons, etc. Britain's earliest known race was the Celts, but even the Celts migrated here from elsewhere.

So, a person who was born in America who claims to be 'Irish' just because they have Irish ancestry is just as silly as me claiming that I am a Norman or Saxon or Viking or Celt... or African.
Quote by willT08
Because Americans will appropriate cultures they have no real connection to to give themselves identities in a country that they feel lacks enough history to provide one itself

+3,1415

We may be facing an awful financial and political crisis all across Europe, but hey, noone can take our rich history and culture from us.

Even if we ever get to the point of not having anything else left and being starving to death, we'll still have our history to keep us warm at night! ...Or not.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
The reason we get "upset" when Americans talk about their heritage is because no-one here gives a quarter of a shit if you're 1/16th Comanche and 3/32nds Spanish. We all just collectively facepalm whenever anyone brings such a thing up.

Now, if your mom was from Alaska and your dad was from Nigeria, then you've every right to talk about that - that's interesting. No-one gives a flying toss about your great-great-grandparents unless they were from R'lyeh and that asteroid in The Little Prince (B-612 I think).
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by willT08

And the ironic thing is, America actualy has a culture and a history that goes back tens of thousands of years.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
And the ironic thing is, America actualy has a culture and a history that goes back tens of thousands of years.

Though they did a pretty good job at eliminating it
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Whenever another American asks me that, I tell them my ancestry is American. They usually get mad.
Most people don't get upset but find it funny because nationalism/patriotism in general is pretty silly - you didn't choose your nationality - "I'm proud to be [insert nationality here]" is not exactly an achievement.
Quote by fanapathy
Most people don't get upset but find it funny because nationalism/patriotism in general is pretty silly - you didn't choose your nationality - "I'm proud to be [insert nationality here]" is not exactly an achievement.

Of course someone from Norway would think that. You haven't done anything of world relevance for hundreds of years. There's no reason for you to have a national identity; Your nation is stupid.
I'm American.
I've never been to America. Nor Do I know much about it. But yeah man I love Freedom and I'm so American. Yeah GO OBAMA YOU ROCK.

No. I'm Scottish.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by macashmack
Of course someone from Norway would think that. You haven't done anything of world relevance for hundreds of years. There's no reason for you to have a national identity; Your nation is stupid.

I ain't from Norway and I think nationality is stupid.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I ain't from Norway and I think nationality is stupid.

In the words of Putin, the UK is “just a small island … no one pays any attention to them”
Question for non-us guys: do you guys research your family trees/heritage?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Random9000
Okay so US UGer here.

Because America proclaims it self to be the land of freedom however the country was built on the genocide of one race, and the enslavement of another.
For real if I was American I wouldn't beg my heritage from the European countries, yeah cool son you probably do have some welsh in you, it makes sense since we (Europeans) took the land from the natives so if you're white it's understandable that you're originally from Europe but no one gives a shit so be proud that you're from the US, being a quarter welsh doesn't make you any more cultured or interesting, it just is so accept it.

Plus it's so irritating to see a yank try and act like you're brothers in arms with them because they're from England originally, alright mate cool, you were born and raised in the US, you're American, end of.
Quote by AJScott
Because America proclaims it self to be the land of freedom however the country was built on the genocide of one race, and the enslavement of another.

Not cool with you directly taking that avatar brah.

I straight up hand made that gif.

Quote by lolmnt
Question for non-us guys: do you guys research your family trees/heritage?

Some people really do. For the most part though it is just something that parents pass on. Like, you know that your great-great-grandma/gramps came over from Germany right? German was actually primarily spoke in x/y households. Stuff like that.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Last edited by Dwight.Schrute at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
Not cool with you directly taking that avatar brah.

I straight up hand made that gif.

Some people really do. For the most part though it is just something that parents pass on. Like, you know that your great-great-grandma/gramps came over from Germany right? German was actually primarily spoke in x/y households. Stuff like that.

That's pretty similar then. Most people here aren't like super into it but there's definitely a group that really enjoys digging through it all and piecing it together. For example my great aunt or something like that has our family history dating back to like the 1600s compiled in a book she wrote. Which is pretty neat, but like I'd never do that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 5