This is not directly aimed at the regulars and other advanced guitarists, this is a post more aimed at anyone who is still learning technique or is a more advanced player who does not feel like improving and wonders why.

I've been feeling a bit down with my playing for a while, I have not been motivated enough and overall I've been feeling like my hands are coated with honey when I play (inb4 "sweet tone" jokes). Well, today I realized exactly why.

Yesterday, I checked one of the new lessons, "your sweep picking sucks!", for, well, sweeping tips. The lesson started with some tips on how to hold the pick. After following some of the tips, I tried the new way, and sweeping did sound more fluid.

I then started to follow the same tips with regular guitar playing, everything from power chords to melodic licks. My hold of the pick was never bad, I am an advanced player, but after angling the pick slightly more and concentrating on using only the tip of the pick... holy **** did playing the simplest things feel so damn much better. The change was minimal, I just eliminated some resistance between the pick and the string, and yet I feel like I've improved more in a few hours than in the last 6 months.

So, I just posted this to urge every beginning or even a more advanced player (I've played since middle school) to concentrate on the simplest thing: how you hold the pick.

Cheers
You're never so good where you need not stress the fundamentals. Solid advice and grats, OP. Happy playing!
Thanks I honestly regained a lot of my confidence and found new enjoyment in my instrument. Gonna write some killer prog songs tonight.
Considering myself an "advanced" player myself (12+ years) I also have noticed that my picking technique and coordination of my right hand with my left hand is quite far of being "advanced" In fact the faulty technique is so deep in me that is having me lot of trouble to improve it.

My main problems are 3:

I suck at doing a consistent fast tremolo picking. (I need to anchor with my thumb still without getting good results)

I can't do pretty fast string changes with alternate picking (16 triplets check Frame by Frame->king crimson)

I fail at arpegiatting with a pick on complex patterns (Had done it always with fingers)

(I'm not interested in sweeping).

I'm feeling pretty in the blue right now. This problems had noticed because I was asked to play some covers that needed heavy picking precision usage.

So: Apart from that lesson, is there any other good lessons on how to improve my picking? By learning alone + UG i have all the incorrect techniques (lots of anchoring, bad precission, etc.)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
I recommend checking UG and youtube for lessons, and paying close attention on their comments and ratings. If other guitarists like the lesson, and especially if there are comments like "I know this thing inside and out and didn't really need the lesson, but it was still good and useful" it is probably a good lesson, don't take the authors word for anything, see if people and especially experienced people recommend it.

What I did with my playing was basically just angling the pick, gripping it closer to the tip and taking a looser grip, and I feel a lot better with my own abilities. It increased both the smoothness and the accuracy of my playing.

You could also try to take a short break, few days max, and then start again concentrating on doing everything the correct way. Starting slowly and working your speed up. And I cannot stress the importance of warm-up enough: after playing for an hour I can play a lot more complex things than I can play straight after picking the guitar up.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Mar 25, 2014,
I don't really like playing with the very tip of the pick. I've been doing it for a while, but I noticed that if I pick with a bit more of the pick, the attack is so much more nicer and the pick sound is so clearer (I LOVE the sound of picking :> )
Quote by RicAndrade
I don't really like playing with the very tip of the pick. I've been doing it for a while, but I noticed that if I pick with a bit more of the pick, the attack is so much more nicer and the pick sound is so clearer (I LOVE the sound of picking :> )

I agree with the pick sound, but for quick and fluid motions I find picking with the tip a lot more comfortable. And I play a lot of stuff with fast and complex stuff