While fretting notes with my pinky I find that my pinky mutes the string below the one which I have pressed down. Does this go away with practise or does everyone experience it? I play most of the time with my thumb behind the neck if its of any use.

Cheers!
When you say the string below, do you mean the physically below - closer to the floor? Or below it in pitch?
I'll assume closer to the floor, since this is a more common problem. So for example, you play E-F#-G-A, with the first three on the 6th string starting at the 12th fret, and the A at the 12th fret on the 5th string. The A gets clipped right? If this is the case, you're probably lacking a bit of dexterity in your pinky and not getting it out of the way quickly enough. It's being lazy.
How to fix:
First an experiment -
Slow it down to a tempo where the problem is no longer present. Figure out what your fingers are doing.
Then speed it up gradually until the problem re-appears. Figure out what your fingers are doing now, and what is different from the slower tempos.
Once you have that figured out, practice a lot at the tempos where you didn't have the problem and concentrate on what your fingers are doing, making sure that you're doing the good motion and not the bad one. Over time, start nudging the metronome up as the good technique becomes more engrained...but be patient, and take it slow. You've got to be gentle with the good technique before it is really established well.
Hope that helps!
Quote by se012101
When you say the string below, do you mean the physically below - closer to the floor? Or below it in pitch?
I'll assume closer to the floor, since this is a more common problem. So for example, you play E-F#-G-A, with the first three on the 6th string starting at the 12th fret, and the A at the 12th fret on the 5th string. The A gets clipped right? If this is the case, you're probably lacking a bit of dexterity in your pinky and not getting it out of the way quickly enough. It's being lazy.
How to fix:
First an experiment -
Slow it down to a tempo where the problem is no longer present. Figure out what your fingers are doing.
Then speed it up gradually until the problem re-appears. Figure out what your fingers are doing now, and what is different from the slower tempos.
Once you have that figured out, practice a lot at the tempos where you didn't have the problem and concentrate on what your fingers are doing, making sure that you're doing the good motion and not the bad one. Over time, start nudging the metronome up as the good technique becomes more engrained...but be patient, and take it slow. You've got to be gentle with the good technique before it is really established well.
Hope that helps!

Yes, string below as in closer to the floor. I have this problem only in the first position.
Ah..ok, if it's only in the first position, look at the angle of your wrist, and make sure it's not getting wonky. One thing you could do is play a lick a few times say at the 3rd position where there is no problem. Then with it fresh in your fingers, move it down and play it at the 1st position and see if you can solve it that way.
Quote by se012101
Ah..ok, if it's only in the first position, look at the angle of your wrist, and make sure it's not getting wonky. One thing you could do is play a lick a few times say at the 3rd position where there is no problem. Then with it fresh in your fingers, move it down and play it at the 1st position and see if you can solve it that way.
Thanks, will try it.