After playing Electric for over 40 plus years, I recently made the switch to Acoustic. Seeeing that I'm on a low budget, I went online and bought one of those Squier SA-100 packages for only $100.00. I was totally surprised when it came in to be honest. It's actually a decent sounding guitar for the price and I'm totally impressed with it. It came with a Fender electronic tuner, strap, new set of strings , and a crappy gigbag which I shit canned and replaced with a brand new Fender heavy duty one instead. I immediately changed the strings with a new set of D'Addario's 12-52 and also filed down the stock bridge saddle as well. Once I did all of that , I now have a player here. It stays in tune and sounds great. I would like to know if anybody out here has ever tried one of these and what their experiences were with them.
To be honest, I've checked out the starter packages by various manufacturers and have never been impressed. To me, they feel cheap, sound cheap and the construction quality is less than stellar.

Not bragging, but my acoustics are all Taylors - I've even had to do my own set up on them to get them where I wanted them. So it doesn't surprise me that you had to do some filing and setup on it. In the end, all that matters is that you like the guitar and that it works for you. Maybe I'll have to check out the starters again... I'm always fearful walking around the house with my guitars in-hand.
glad that your impressed and happy with your new baby Jeff. few manage to get off that easy.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Thanks for the replies everybody. If I had the money for a Taylor, believe me that would've been my 1st choice but, not everybody can afford one of those or a Martin so we have to make do with what we have available. Besides playing for over 40 years , I also do set ups as well, so I know how to get a guitar to fit my personal playing style. I've always believed that it's the player which makes the instrument sound good anyway. It shouldn't matter IMO, what name it says on the headstock. Besides , in the last few years , Squier has really upped the quality of their product and has given their big brother Fender a huge run for their money.
I do believe there is a thread of truth to what you say. You could certainly hand Clapton a cheap Ibanez or Rogue guitar and he'd still sound like Clapton. However, to me, the build quality of a guitar definitely has an impact on how it sounds. I've played some cheap guitars that sounded cheap. Know what I'm saying?

Regarding Squier and their quality... We bought our son a starter Squier electric about 8 years ago. I was actually surprised by the quality of this $150 guitar. He used to have me restring it and I'd end up playing for awhile each time. Hey, I had to make sure the intonation and set up was good! Right? I don't know if I'd ever perform out with it, but it's certainly not a bad guitar for the money.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I do believe there is a thread of truth to what you say. You could certainly hand Clapton a cheap Ibanez or Rogue guitar and he'd still sound like Clapton. However, to me, the build quality of a guitar definitely has an impact on how it sounds. I've played some cheap guitars that sounded cheap. Know what I'm saying?

Regarding Squier and their quality... We bought our son a starter Squier electric about 8 years ago. I was actually surprised by the quality of this $150 guitar. He used to have me restring it and I'd end up playing for awhile each time. Hey, I had to make sure the intonation and set up was good! Right? I don't know if I'd ever perform out with it, but it's certainly not a bad guitar for the money.

I've already performed with it a couple of night s ago at a Acoustic jam and it went over very well. I didn't have any problems with it at all. I did notice however on Guitar center's website that they're now selling the Fender DG-60's for only $135.99 without the case, so I think I know what I'll be upgrading to within the next couple of weeks and still keep the Squier as a backup. I've heard a lot of good things about the DG-60's and at that price , I'd be stupid not to go and get one.