Hello,
I have been playing acoustic guitar every now and then for a couple of years, but I want to get into electric guitar now. Problem is I have no idea what guitar to buy. Every time I decide on one I change my mind.
I've done a tonnn of research.. and some sites say start out with a relatively cheap guitar while youre learning, see how you like it, etc.
Other sites say don't even bother with the cheap guitars because youll just frustrate yourself. 'Spend the extra money cuz its worth it'

Heres some guitars I've found that have good reviews:

This is a relatively cheap Fender Squier that has good reviews.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar

OR
I could spend the extra money and get something like

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg450dx-electric-guitar

The type of music I'd want to play is more classic rock/hard rock which is what led me to the Ibanez. But ive been told that Fender strats are great first guitars.
I don't want to spend a ton of money seeing as though I am not rich and Im a total beginner. If you guys could help me out with any comments/opinions/help thatd be great.
and just out of curiosity-
What was your first electric guitar?

cheers!
I'm assuming your budget is ~$400? Did you realize that you will have to get an amp? I'll leave that for you to figure out.

Anyway, my advice is don't start out with a cheapo guitar. But don't blow $3k on a USA Gibson either. Go for the best that you can afford. Preferably one that plays well and looks good. Don't worry with brand name yet.

Are you planning on using the tremolo system? If you are, neither of those guitars will do it for you. Cheap double locking trems go out of tune as badly as a non locking trem if it is EVH/ Herman Li abused.

You might get the tones you are looking for with the strat but you're safer with the Ibanez because Humbuckers. Not great humbuckers but HB's nonetheless.

Try these

Jacksons

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js32tq-dinky-dka-quilt-maple-top-electric-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js32-dinky-dka-electric-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js32-rhoads-electric-guitar/h97612

Kramer

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/kramer-pacer-classic-electric-guitar

Used by a lot of my personal favourite bands. Maybe try looking at ESP/LTD.
what exactly do you mean when you say classic rock/hard rock? I'd have said ibanezes were more geared towards hair metal/shred and stuff like that, but it depends on your definition of classic rock/hard rock. Also ibanez's cheaper tremolos normally aren't that great and are best avoided. especially if you're only starting out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'll need an amp as well as a guitar.

Whatever you do, do NOT start out with a cheap guitar.
From my own personal experience I tell you this - I was given an Ashton strat-knock off for my 18th bday (I got into guitar quite late), and couldn't stand it - here I am 7 years later, finally deciding to get myself a "real" electric guitar.

The crappy Ashton was absolutely terrible, never stayed in tune, felt like crap, sounded crap, came with a noob Ashton amp that sounded shit as well.

I've actually still got both the guitar and amp and never use them, even while I'm wanting to learn lead and waiting to pay off my "real" guitar, I just can't bring myself to play the piece of crap.

It's uninspiring to play a crap guitar, and a bad one will seriously put you off even playing electric at all.

Don't spend thousands of dollars, but try to aim for something nice - consider a higher end Epiphone or an LPJ, or maybe even a used Strat (a real one, not a knock off).
They'll all feel good enough and you'll want to keep playing. Make sure it FEELS good to play. This is #1.
You'll keep playing your guitar that feels good to play through a shitty amp.
You won't keep playing a guitar that feels like shit through a good amp.
I found that if you go for even the cheaper models of most reliable brands like Ibanez, ESP, Gibsons and not for looks or $$$ you'll be fine.

My guitar is definitely more then $400 but I spent $100 on my amp, a 15W Line 6, and even though is smaller then half-assed brands that can offer apparently more for the same price, its insanely better then anything they could ever do. So take that mentality with a guitar and stay way away from low-end BC Rich Guitars because, my god, you'll regret it after a while.
You can get a lot of value out of going for a used guitar. For just the cost of that Fender you could easily find a medium-quality second hand Ibanez on eBay and have money left over for an amp and whatnot. Also, since you're coming from an acoustic guitar, I would start off with a guitar with a fixed bridge at first. Tremolos, especially cheap tremolos, aren't much fun when you're first starting off with an electric.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

I would avoid a floating tremolo at all costs. And I would strongly recommend a Peavy Vypyr or Fender Mustang for the amp.

Also, Guitar Center's used selection is not only vast, but often fairly priced. They have a 30 day money back guarantee too. Trust me, if you spend $400 on a used guitar and amp, you will walk out of there with a significantly better setup than if you spent $400 on new gear.

For a guitar, I don't think you can really go wrong with a used Mexican strat. Typically you can sell if for about what you paid anyway, so it's not like you're screwed if it turns out it's not for you. Since you want to play rock, a fat strat with a humbucker in the bridge might be better for you, but that's all preference.
Quote by W4RP1G
I would avoid a floating tremolo at all costs. And I would strongly recommend a Peavy Vypyr or Fender Mustang for the amp.

Also, Guitar Center's used selection is not only vast, but often fairly priced. They have a 30 day money back guarantee too. Trust me, if you spend $400 on a used guitar and amp, you will walk out of there with a significantly better setup than if you spent $400 on new gear.

For a guitar, I don't think you can really go wrong with a used Mexican strat. Typically you can sell if for about what you paid anyway, so it's not like you're screwed if it turns out it's not for you. Since you want to play rock, a fat strat with a humbucker in the bridge might be better for you, but that's all preference.

My two cents on this post would be if you do buy a Made in Mexico (MiM) Stratocaster, you have almost limitless options to mod it with and upgrade it so it won't feel like just your first guitar even if you have 6 $4k Gibsons and PRS' and custom guitars. An MiM Strat could grow with you if you want it to.

Modding a guitar is a science in itself though that I can't get the grasp of yet...
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by grrrgrrrr
My guitar is definitely more then $400 but I spent $100 on my amp, a 15W Line 6, and even though is smaller then half-assed brands that can offer apparently more for the same price

Line 6 is a half assed brand.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 26, 2014,
We need to know some more info before we could give you some recommendations. First off, what's your budget? Keep in mind that if you get an electric guitar you will need an amp if you want to sound anything like your favorite artists. In all honesty, the amp is much more important than the guitar itself. You just want to choose a guitar that's right for you. Play many guitars and see which one you like the most. It won't matter if it's crappy or not. In the future you can just replace it with better specs. But like I said, the amp is much more important than the guitar. If you get a $2,000 guitar but get a $100 Line 6 Spider IV, you're not going to sound good at all. I would spend more on the amp than the guitar and worry more about the guitar in the future. Just buy the guitar that you feel most comfortable playing with. Keep in mind one thing: Price varies, but it doesn't mean a specific 1K guitar will be better than a $700 guitar. Keep that in mind. Just because a guitar is a higher price than another it doesn't mean that it's better.
Quote by Mephaphil
Line 6 is a half assed brand.

Better then some of the stuff I've got for the same price... I always go for bigger for less $$$ and get terrible terrible sounding items. Don't worry I'm going to be moving up to a Marshall but this does well for now.
Honestly, a lot of line 6 stuff is just terribad, especially lower down in Spider territory.

And a fair amount of Marshall stuff isn't great either.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

A Squier Standard Strat is definitely a outstanding guitar to start off with . I own 2 of them and they're great players. As far as a amp is concerned, check out the new Fender Champion series. You can get the Champion 40 , which sells for only $179.99 and has built in effects and amp models. IMO, it's much better than the overrated Mustang series and much easier to operate.
The Squier Strat is not an outstanding option. It's a piece of firewood with a horrible trem and piss poor fretwork.

The Classic Vibe or the MIM Fender stuff are much much better options.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445