Hi
Yes I know this is the Pit

Anyways, looking for people in bands to answer this one.
Reverbnation rules the market for online band promotions. To promote yourself better, they allow you to have a press kit in which you pay like $13 a month to have.

This press kit is good to get shows and airplay. Good press equals good connections.

Anyways, I'm lacking in press at the moment, but for future inspiration, do these press kits actually work and get you more gigs? Or is it just a way for ReverbNation to make a bunch of money off dumb, non-business-savvy musicians?

Yeah
Nah man, that's not completely true. Only partially.

Look at all the good musicians who really went places.
There aren't many.

Look at all the shitty musicians that really went places.
There still....aren't that many.

It's all marketing man welcome to the world of capitalism
I don't think ReverbNation is very good at all.

If you're really serious, have your own website and in-house presskit.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Make your own press kits.

Go to a photo studio and get some pictures and headshots done.

Write a short blurb about yourself and your music. Not your life story but make it concise and interesting.
Quote by SunshineMusicO
oh I completely agree, Reverbnation is awful!
But, it rules the market. There's gotta be a reason for that.

I don't see anything that indicates that RN "rules the market." I don't know anyone who has found success through RN. They all promote from their own sites and FB/Twitter/SC.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SunshineMusicO

Reverbnation rules the market for online band promotions.

what on earth are you talking about?
Quote by SunshineMusicO

Reverbnation rules the market for online band promotions.

No it doesn't. Facebook does.

To promote yourself better, they allow you to have a press kit in which you pay like $13 a month to have.

$13 per month? Not worth it. Can do everything it includes by yourself, for free, and better.

This press kit is good to get shows and airplay. Good press equals good connections.

I'm going to guarantee that most promoters and booking agents for amateur and upcoming acts don't use reverbnation, or don't care and will use other factors. You are booked because of a combination of a) you have a good rep; b) the promoter likes your music; c) you can guarantee to bring in a crowd, which means bringing in money and making their job easier. The bigger bands don't need reverbnation either because they already have a fanbase and a reputation to prove themselves with, and their management will sort their bookings out.

Anyways, I'm lacking in press at the moment, but for future inspiration, do these press kits actually work and get you more gigs? Or is it just a way for ReverbNation to make a bunch of money off dumb, non-business-savvy musicians?

Yeah

I would say that it's pretty useless to most people. We have a reverbnation site - mainly because it has a few useful apps linked to it that can connect with Facebook and our website. I'd estimate that the majority of our traffic is via Facebook (and some initially through YouTube when people want to check out music quickly).

Most of the world has Facebook, and it's easier to just search in the box at the top of a frequently visited page and hit 'Like'.

There's also Twitter, which is better for direct contact with fans, and is probably even more useful for many bands (particularly young bands/those with a young fanbase who are more techsavvy. Our Twitter gradually growing in followers but at the moment we don't use it as much as we should, and Facebook is still our primary source of traffic/getting announcements out to our fans.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.