Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, I have acne and don't really know how to deal with it. I eat pretty cleanly and wash my face morning and night. How can I combat it? My older brother and cousin had a similar issue and their skin cleared up pretty much as soon as they turned 21. I, being impatient, don't want to wait for another couple of years; I may be different and my acne might not go away at 21. Any foods I can eat or products I could try out? I have tried Proactive and it worked for a month and then became just another facial wash.
only the stuff prescribed by dermatologists really work but there are caveats when taking it. sorry to say this bud, but you'll have to fight it till 21.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
do some searches on apple cider vinegar, buds say its work wonders, i wouldnt know
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
What do you wash your face with? Try cutting back to once a day and see if that helps. Is your skin oily or dry or in between? What type of acne is it?

Don't eat dairy/sugar. Change your bedsheets/pillowcase frequently (some people say every day but I don't. find what works for you). When you wash your hair make sure you get every last bit of hair cleaning product out, and always wash your face after washing your hair. (if you have long hair, wash your back after your hair) Avoid the sun. Apply tea tree oil to the affected areas every night but make sure you're not sensitive to it first or it can make your acne worse. Don't touch your face unless necessary. Exfoliate your face gently once or twice a week. Moisturize your face and use products which are non-comedogenic.

You might just be destined to have acne until 21 which sucks but lots of people have that. I used to have really bad acne until I did all of the above (still do) and now it's all gone and my scars are nearly invisible!
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by guitarxo
What do you wash your face with? Try cutting back to once a day and see if that helps. Is your skin oily or dry or in between? What type of acne is it?

Don't eat dairy/sugar. Change your bedsheets/pillowcase frequently (some people say every day but I don't. find what works for you). When you wash your hair make sure you get every last bit of hair cleaning product out, and always wash your face after washing your hair. (if you have long hair, wash your back after your hair) Avoid the sun. Apply tea tree oil to the affected areas every night but make sure you're not sensitive to it first or it can make your acne worse. Don't touch your face unless necessary. Exfoliate your face gently once or twice a week.

You might just be destined to have acne until 21 which sucks but lots of people have that.

My face is oily between washings, I only eat sugars from fruits and certain veggies, so I guess "natural sugars" (is that still bad?) and staying out of the sun isn't something I can really do since my classes are about a mile away from each other in the middle of the day.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
You're SOL my friend, you lost the genetic lottery.

Yea, I know. My skin was amazingly smooth, clear and nice until I was about 16 and a half. Not to mention I tan really easily so my arms, lower legs and face are a darker shade of tan and my torso and upper legs are bronzish
Wash your sheets regularly, change ya clothes everyday if it's on your body(not saying you don't already do that, but i know some guys who don't change their shit at all for a couple days if they aint gotta be anywhere), wash your face after you get out of the gym, shave properly.

It could just be that you have to wait it out. I had shoulder acne until i was about 19 years old. Tried everything i could but nothing cured it for good. Shit sucks, but it'll go away eventually.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by Ablast
My face is oily between washings, I only eat sugars from fruits and certain veggies, so I guess "natural sugars" (is that still bad?) and staying out of the sun isn't something I can really do since my classes are about a mile away from each other in the middle of the day.

Your diet's fine then, as long as it isn't lots of chocolate or something like that.

Usually if your face gets oily quickly it means your skin is dehydrated and it produces extra oil so it's less dry. Hence moisturizer, and also drink more water than you think you need. You can get oil blotting sheets for cheap if the presence of oil is bothering you. Exfoliation gets rid of accumulated dead skin cells so the oil won't build up under it and cause an infection (which is basically what acne is)

Fruits/veggies are fine

Use sunscreen! If you get a tan sometimes it makes scars more difficult to fade.

There's more but sorry I'm a bit tired now I will post later if no one else says what i'm thinking of
cat
i had really, really bad acne. i think i've only seen one other person in real life who had it worse than me, and it was a random stranger on a plane. now it's much much better, though it's probably just because i outgrew it (i'm 23).

try to avoid using too much of those harsh chemicals on your face; for really stubborn acne, i don't feel like it helps much. be gentle, don't push down too hard when rubbing/scrubbing. and do your extra clean wash at night. if you must pick at your face, do it at night as well. in the morning, try not to wash away too much of the natural oils.

apart from that, stop obsessing needlessly over yourself in the mirror, it won't make it any better. you often just have to let it run its course. or you can ask your doctor for antibiotics or accutane...i've tried antibiotics and it does help, but i think it screwed up my digestion or something.

hang in there, treat it as a life lesson.

*oh, and make sure you're drinking enough water
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I went to see a dermatologist last week for the same problem.

Besides prescribing me stuff he told me three things:

1. Minimize touching your face (don't pop, poke, peel off, etc. zits)

2. Wash your face once in the morning and once at night with cold water. No soap, just water.

3. Avoid over the counter products like the plague. The can make it worse and/or dry out your skin.y
Quote by guitarxo
Your diet's fine then, as long as it isn't lots of chocolate or something like that.

Usually if your face gets oily quickly it means your skin is dehydrated and it produces extra oil so it's less dry. Hence moisturizer, and also drink more water than you think you need. You can get oil blotting sheets for cheap if the presence of oil is bothering you. Exfoliation gets rid of accumulated dead skin cells so the oil won't build up under it and cause an infection (which is basically what acne is)

Fruits/veggies are fine

Use sunscreen! If you get a tan sometimes it makes scars more difficult to fade.

There's more but sorry I'm a bit tired now I will post later if no one else says what i'm thinking of

I use lotion and sunblock and I also drink close to a gallon a day, sometimes over.
Thanks for your help
put smiley face stickers where your pimples are.
Whats goes around must come down
ok this may sound weird but I was in the same boat

My sister had it bad, I kind of had it bad.
My mommy took me to the dermatologist when I was I dunno like 15 or 16 and they prescribed me a pill called Cefadroxil.
That shit worked. No side effects. Acne isn't quite as bad after a couple of weeks

Pros: Acne is gone/significantly lessened
Cons: Pretty big pill, tastes terrible, and there may be a reliance. I don't want to take it anymore but when I stop for a couple weeks I get back breakouts again...

Check it out man, worked for both me AND my sister really well
Jizz in your hand and use it as a face mask then rinse it off with some cat urine(regular human urine will work too but cat pee is the bomb)
Whats goes around must come down
TS, you really just have to wait it out. You are doing the best things, but only time can really remove acne. Take it from me, a recovering acne cream addict.
Murad Face Cleanser man, its pricey stuff, but works a treat.

Dont even bother with that clearisil or freederm or whatever the kids use nowadays, they don't work, and just seem to make it worse in the long term.
I've been dealing with acne for the the past 7 years. I'm 21 and it's still going strong. The only thing that has ever helped me was prescription antibiotics, along with prescription topicals.

I've tried dairy free, sugar free, gluten free, and all the other fad diets. Doesn't work. I've tried acne.org's "regimen." Doesn't work. I've tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, chemical peels, vitamin and mineral supplementation, antioxidant cream, sulfur face masks, honey masks, homemade cleansers, LED light therapy, ProActiv, and every damn OTC medication you can think of. None of them work. Go to a dermatologist if you have insurance and get on some prescription topicals and maybe an oral antibiotic until you're 21, then see if it comes back.
Acutane worked for me
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
sun and fresh air has always been great for my skin.
wash your face when you get up and before you go to bed every day.

change pillowcases very frequently... i tend to sleep once on each side of my pillowcase and then swap it for a clean one if possible.

drink lots of water.

anddddd: SUDOCREM. in terms of topicals, this for me has been far and away the best treatment. it's super thick so you can't put loads on before you go out... but put it on before you go to bed at night and if you're ever just lounging around the house alone. i couldn't recommend it enough. it's dirt cheap and is absolutely great, useful for burns and cuts and scrapes and rashes and stuff too.. but i mostly use it for spots when they come up here and there (my days of bad skin are mostly behind me, thankfully)

really... i couldn't recommend enough. google it too... it's something that a lot of people swear by once they find it.

all the above for me have been great. good luck with it brother, it's a tough ride.
Last edited by kthxbi at Mar 25, 2014,
neutrogena face wash with those scrub beads + hot water + good genes.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by TheChaz
I've been dealing with acne for the the past 7 years. I'm 21 and it's still going strong. The only thing that has ever helped me was prescription antibiotics, along with prescription topicals.

I've tried dairy free, sugar free, gluten free, and all the other fad diets. Doesn't work. I've tried acne.org's "regimen." Doesn't work. I've tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, chemical peels, vitamin and mineral supplementation, antioxidant cream, sulfur face masks, honey masks, homemade cleansers, LED light therapy, ProActiv, and every damn OTC medication you can think of. None of them work. Go to a dermatologist if you have insurance and get on some prescription topicals and maybe an oral antibiotic until you're 21, then see if it comes back.

has it improved on its own at all?
cat
this kid i went to school with had terrible acne and he committed suicide seemed to work pretty good
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by vilk
this kid i went to school with had terrible acne and he committed suicide seemed to work pretty good

not funny
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Accutane is a really rough medication, I had like major nosebleeds. Minocycline did wonders for me though, I don't have any pimples anymore. You'll need to wash your face 1 or 2 times a day too since your skin is sebum-prone. I use Spectro-Jel (the purple bottle). It's really light soap and has no perfume in it. Also I'd recommand not eating unhealthy food of course and if you can avoid weed and booze, it's for the best. Good luck
eat a shit load of taco bell and burger king,. and stay up until 5 every night playing GTA games. i didnt have any acne problems and i grew to be a tall slender man so i can tell you first hand it works
Quote by vilk

if only stupid people could realize that they shouldn't procreate
Yeah, that kid was pretty dumb if I remember correctly. But I'm also pretty positive he wasn't procreating so no worries.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by guitarxo
has it improved on its own at all?

Nope. I just went to get prescription topicals from my new doctor. If I just leave it alone it doesn't go away. I'll most likely stay on these for a year and see how I look then.
Quote by TheChaz
^What the hell why would you even.
I'm glad you asked.

You see, I know nothing. I've been trying to get rid of my acne for over a decade now. I've been on all sorts of things. Monocyclines, doxycyclines, tetracyclines, stronger antibiotics like bactrim, amoxicillin, ceftin, cephalexin, and even accutane. And dozens of other things I can't even remember, including topical retinoids and anti-inflammatories

Things always work for a bit and then stop working, or not at all.

Since the accutane worked temporarily (I never got to finish my treatment), I knew that oily skin was a problem. Since the antibiotics would work temporarily, I knew bacteria was a problem. I can't stay on high strength antibiotics for my whole life though, they've already ruined my colon.

My theory is that it's a cycle. The bacteria leads to an immune response, which causes inflammation, which leads to pores on your face swelling shut, and if you have overactive sebaceous glands on your face, they keep pumping oil into pores that are swelled shut, leading to pimples, which burst, which cause breaks in your skin, leading to more inflammation, and the process repeats.

Pharmaceuticals try to kill the bacteria and dry your skin out/reduce inflammation.

Being that I'm currently out of the country and probably won't be able to get meds that would work as well as I want, I had to get creative.

I know that dish soap dries peoples hands out, so why not my face? It's also antibacterial.

If I kill the bacteria and dry out my face at the same time, I remove the cause of the inflammation and reduce the oil in my skin.

I have no idea if this will work, but it's worth a shot.
Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm glad you asked.

You see, I know nothing. I've been trying to get rid of my acne for over a decade now. I've been on all sorts of things. Monocyclines, doxycyclines, tetracyclines, stronger antibiotics like bactrim, amoxicillin, ceftin, cephalexin, and even accutane. And dozens of other things I can't even remember, including topical retinoids and anti-inflammatories

Things always work for a bit and then stop working, or not at all.

Since the accutane worked temporarily (I never got to finish my treatment), I knew that oily skin was a problem. Since the antibiotics would work temporarily, I knew bacteria was a problem. I can't stay on high strength antibiotics for my whole life though, they've already ruined my colon.

My theory is that it's a cycle. The bacteria leads to an immune response, which causes inflammation, which leads to pores on your face swelling shut, and if you have overactive sebaceous glands on your face, they keep pumping oil into pores that are swelled shut, leading to pimples, which burst, which cause breaks in your skin, leading to more inflammation, and the process repeats.

Pharmaceuticals try to kill the bacteria and dry your skin out/reduce inflammation.

Being that I'm currently out of the country and probably won't be able to get meds that would work as well as I want, I had to get creative.

I know that dish soap dries peoples hands out, so why not my face? It's also antibacterial.

If I kill the bacteria and dry out my face at the same time, I remove the cause of the inflammation and reduce the oil in my skin.

I have no idea if this will work, but it's worth a shot.

Then just put rubbing alcohol on your face. Honestly, dish soap sounds like the worst thing you could possibly do.
Quote by vilk
Yeah, that kid was pretty dumb if I remember correctly. But I'm also pretty positive he wasn't procreating so no worries.

well, that's fantastic isn't it
Page 1 of 2