Current Amp: Fender Mustang 1

Right now I am not really happy with the tone I get out of my little modeler. It is "okay" but that's about it. It seems to do cleans okay, but all of the distorted models sound...fake...even with some tweaking they are just...okay.

I am a metal fan.

I've been looking into the latest Randall amps, and have a couple questions:
1) The 3 channel RG1003 and RG1503 look pretty sweet, but I only play around the house and don't gig at all. Does the master volume work as a true master to keep the volume low without losing tone?
2) RG1503-212, I like the combo nature but haven't really seen any reviews. Is this basically just a RG1503 head and a 2x12?
3) RG80...again not many reviews. Most reviews are for the 1980s RG80, not the latest model. Any changes?
4) Finally, the RG13 little pedal/amp seems pretty cool for a little practice setup.
5) Is it worth having the extra 3rd channel of the RG1003, RG1503, RG13 vs. the 2 channels on the RG80?

I am still in the "discovery" stage, but know I'd like to stay $500-600 dollar range all said and done.
Quote by thr_wedge
1) The 3 channel RG1003 and RG1503 look pretty sweet, but I only play around the house and don't gig at all. Does the master volume work as a true master to keep the volume low without losing tone?

the master volume is a 'true master', i guess you don't 'lose tone' from it but an amp will sound different at different volumes because of how equipment is pushed and physiological factors (like how your ear's frequency response changes with loudness for example).

you can't expect any amp to sound the same cranked as it does when it quiet, things kust don't work that way. but the master volume should be very effective on that amp.

Quote by thr_wedge
2) RG1503-212, I like the combo nature but haven't really seen any reviews. Is this basically just a RG1503 head and a 2x12?

yes

Quote by thr_wedge
3) RG80...again not many reviews. Most reviews are for the 1980s RG80, not the latest model. Any changes?

sorry, can't really help here. just seems to have an extra channel and more power output.

Quote by thr_wedge
4) Finally, the RG13 little pedal/amp seems pretty cool for a little practice setup.

this is a statement, not a question. but yes, it does look pretty cool. 3 channels and a bypassable loop with a 1 watt amp built in to boot. interesting.

you could also use that with a power amp and use the rg13 as a preamp.

Quote by thr_wedge
5) Is it worth having the extra 3rd channel of the RG1003, RG1503, RG13 vs. the 2 channels on the RG80?

only you can really answer that, it's all personal preference. some people are happy with a clean/dirty setup, some want a clean/rhythm/lead setup. i usually just use 1 channel amps, so really it's all preference. if you want a separate clean, rhythm and lead tone then it is probably worth it for you.

I am still in the "discovery" stage, but know I'd like to stay $500-600 dollar range all said and done.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
As an owner of RG1503h I think can answer couple of questions.

1. Yes, it is a global master volume residing after FX Loop so it controls everything. Very useful since it makes it less likely for me to blow up my poor 1x12 I have currently. Regarding tone loss its not that simple question as gumbilicious pointed but personally I have not noticed a dramatic change in tone if I adjust the volume with channel volumes or the global master.

2. Thats what it should be. However, NOBODY on the internets yet knows if the stock Randall speakers (they are not Jaguars, they are something new) are any good.

3. With the current RG serie Randall had ditched their more or less failed attempts on hybrid amps and hired Dale Heinz (designer of Randall Warhead) to redesign it. He based them on the old Randall RGs more or less, stuff that made Randall famous back in the day. RG100ES is the more famous old RG but its possible you might find some similarities with RG80. Not sure because I dont know a thing about that amp.

4. Whats the question here? RG13 to my knowledge is the preamp taken from the newer RG heads so if you have have an amp with good poweramp it could be a good choice to get a Randall sound. Or use it as it is with the 1w poweramp for bedroom practice. But last time I checked it was not much cheaper than the smallest RG1003 head so I dont know how good value it is in the end.

5. Hard to say. The channel 3 offers shit ton of gain (although I found it best to be turned way down and boosted with pedal) and sounds very different from the channel 2, which has the very dirty oldschool Randall sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 25, 2014,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, #4 was a statement, I was wondering how it sounded running through a 1x12.

All sound like pretty good options.

Understood that volume does play a role in tone. Have you stillbfound the RG1503 sounds good at low volume? I guess that was the real question.

I won't say I regret the Mustang yet...but just haven't found the sound yet either...
The amp itself sounds good at low volumes, yes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
we need more details to help you out.

budget?
genre?
other gear?
location (or closest CL)?

i have owned two RG100ES's (the 80's to early 90's ones)

one needed new filter caps (thats common for an older amp. sold it, made like $50 profit fully disclosed. only paid $30, so i figured, damn why not. it wasn't the best.

the second RG100ES was great, i you can get good tone with it if you mess around enough. and it does more than the dime tone. sold it made probably the same profit ways, but this one had the nasty carpet on it (before me) and if i would have redone it it would have been pretty damn nice looking. had a bunch of other amps and i didn't feel the need to keep it. a local shop has one for $50 or $80 for one in better (but still with stained carpet) shape and came with the footswitch. i have almost walked out with one at least a dozen times, but i don't have room.

but the RG100ES's can definitely sound good. IMO they are one of the best older SS amps out there along with the ampeg 140C and the crate version.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
we need more details to help you out.

budget?
genre?
other gear?
location (or closest CL)?

$500-600

Metal, I like a darker sound, but tight. Pantera.

LTD MH-50 (running stock electronics, blocked trem, 11s, setup and well intonated)

Mustang 1 amp

Austin TX, The Live Music Capital of the World - if the gear isn't here, it doesn't exist.

The Mustang 1 is useable for the clean tones, the Fender models for the '65 Twin actually sound pretty nice. The distorted sounds...I've tried fuse, downloaded some different presets, and just can't really get a sound that doesn't sound bad.

The LTD is definitely on the cheap end. I blocked the trem because it was awful (cheap floyd rose special pot metal), I think the knife edges are dull. I bought the guitar used, and it needed a full setup, the neck angle corrected, re-intonated, etc. It's setup pretty well now. The modelling amp may or may not be masking some of the problems with the stock electronics, but I have a very strong feeling that the stock pots are worthless.
Well the new Randall RG will definetly fit because the base tone (everything north at EQ) is very dark, especially compared to my modded Peavey which punches you in the face with cutting midrange and treble grind.

The range of the eq on randall is VERY large though so bright tones are easily achievable, just use your ears when eq:ing and not your eyes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3