So first off i play alternative, grunge, classic rock, and even some reggae but mostly the first two. I love the smashing pumpkins tone (yes i own a big muff) and the red hot chili peppers tone. I went to sam ash to try a few amps and i loved the fender super sonic i didnt try it with any pedals but the distortion on it was great and it cleaned up well too. the next one i played was an orange or 15 it sound good but when i put in a big muff it sounded dead on to the SP tone and the natural gain was great as well. I was thinking of a few other orange amps used like a th 30. my budget is $1000 new or used, head or combo. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Great post, you'll get some help for sure.

To clarify, the budget needs to cover head and cab if you go that route?

Smashing Pumpkins and RHCP are both pretty British sounding, so I'd think the Oranges would be a bit better... But I'll wait for some of our gurus to get here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Mar 25, 2014,
Yup, 'British' voicing is what you want for those kinds of tones, which mostly means Marshall and Orange, at least in terms of big brands.

I wouldn't advise an Orange TH30. That's a very high-gain amplifier, really intended for metal more than anything else. The kinds of tones you're talking about are more from getting a lower-gain amplifier and using an overdrive, distortion or fuzz pedal in front of it. Since you've already got the muff, that's the route I'd suggest you take.

The Orange OR and AD amplifiers fit what you're after. The AD and OR are very similar, except the AD has full bass, mid and treble controls for both channels and the OR only has one channel until you get the big 100w version which then has two. Both AD and OR amps are pretty basic but well-built, 'British'-voiced, lower gain amplifiers. They are perfect for using overdrive pedals in front of, or running clean and using a muff or distortion.

The Orange Dual Terror is also worth looking at. The tone controls are more limited—just one control per channel—but it has a tiny bit more gain than the OR and AD amps and instead of having clean & dirty channels, it has normal & fat channels. Basically, the 'fat' channel adds more mids and bass and a little more gain. If you like cleaning up with your guitar's volume control and don't really need a dedicated clean channel, the Dual Terror might be a good option for you.

For Marshalls, see if you can find a second hand JCM800 or DSL50. There are also combo versions of each. The DSL has more sounds—two channels with switches to add more gain to each—but many people think the simpler sound of the JCM800 is nicer. See what you can find second hand near you, as the new Marshalls will be just outside your budget, I think.

Also consider a second hand Vox AC30, and be on the lookout for a second hand Bad Cat amp of some kind. Both would be fine if you want to use the muff as your main distortion; Bad Cat amps have a little more gain than the Vox. Both are very expensive, though, so it'll take some luck to find one second hand within your budget. Keep your eyes peeled.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'd go for a post 2003 DSL50/100. Laney VH100R would also be a good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MrFlibble

The Orange Dual Terror is also worth looking at. The tone controls are more limited—just one control per channel—but it has a tiny bit more gain than the OR and AD amps and instead of having clean & dirty channels, it has normal & fat channels. Basically, the 'fat' channel adds more mids and bass and a little more gain. If you like cleaning up with your guitar's volume control and don't really need a dedicated clean channel, the Dual Terror might be a good option for you.

Just to expand, the two channel AD amps don't really have a "clean" and "dirty" channel either. Channel two is supposed to be nearly the same as channel one except with a smidge more gain and upper mids. You can definitely run them as clean and dirty since they both have master volume and gain controls, but they aren't dedicated to either sound. Also, the AD doesn't have an effects loop or reverb. So if you use lots of effects you might want to look elsewhere. Lots of great info in that post otherwise, I'm really just nitpicking.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Huh, I was sure the AD was a definite clean/dirty thing. Been a while since I gave one a shot, I'll admit. Fair enough.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.