Poll Options
View poll results: Which one
What makes money
16 25%
What I f-ing enjoy doing
47 75%
Voters: 63.
Page 1 of 3
What matters more to you? Making a good living and have everything enjoyable on the backburner (music for example), or making less money or even struggling to get a job although it's your field of interest?

For the longest time for me it was all about sucking it up and "Taking the Big Boy Pill" by focusing on a degree that would be almost guaranteed to get me a job, initially considering going into music and production but saying fuck it later on because going to school for music often times doesn't do shit for you.

Now I've changed my mind entirely, and am choosing to go with what I was into initially as I would rather do something that isn't boring as fuck even if it doesn't make me a grand living. I'd rather not live the rest of my life miserable.
In this context, fun. I've been lower class for 4 years now (ever since I got married and started renting an appartment, I now own a house) and there's no job I would have rather had for these past years.
My God, it's full of stars!
Ideally, both. Realistically, enjoyment.

Let's be honest, classical composers don't really make that much moneyz these days. I don't really give a shit though, and I like taking my chances.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I'm lucky that I enjoy my job to the point of fun. The only problem now is finding work for the money.
Quote by Dreadnought
I've been lower class for 4 years now

what on earth

it's not something you get inducted in to
playing music is simply not economically sound enough to do solely for money. It also requires a tonne of work and commitment compared to other things.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by willT08
what on earth

it's not something you get inducted in to

You're right, it's based off of income

I don't understand why this confounds you.
Quote by Dreadnought

because class isn't just to do with how much money you make at one particular time
Quote by Dreadnought

There is no lower class over in the UK. The "lower class" was invented by American capitalist pigs to oppress women and minorities. Duh
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Dreadnought

It's like using the term nigga I would guess.

Quote by willT08
because class isn't just to do with how much money you make at one particular time

It kinda does, doesn't it? If he lived a particular lifestyle that is associated with such an income I see his statement as pretty valid.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Last edited by Dwight.Schrute at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by willT08

This. I may be a poor student living off his parent's money but I wouldn't call myself of a lower class because of it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by willT08

That may perhaps be your take on it, but it is not definitive and people/organizations define lower class in different ways?

I'm intrigued as to why you have such a problem with this
Both, but mostly fun.

Right now my job's just paying for my home and fueling my hobbies. It sucks, but i can't find anything else that will pay me this well and give me this kind of stability. I get to make my own schedule and while i'm not technically the highest in charge, i run the damn place.

Hopefully in the future i can go into some field with physical fitness. It's where i'd love to be.
Sail upon the open skies
I feel like I wouldn't want to do anything I enjoy as a career
because then it would become work and I wouldn't enjoy it anymore
but then I also wouldn't want to do something that I absolutely despise either
¯\_()_/¯
What I'm working towards won't really be considered fun. Interesting would be a better word. Also should make a very good amount of money. Best of both worlds

Right now, I got nothing though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Neo Evil11
This. I may be a poor student living off his parent's money but I wouldn't call myself of a lower class because of it.

Are you supporting somebody else and a household, or are you still a student? That's a pretty important distinction. Most students fall outside of these distinctions because of specific circumstances.
I enjoy my job, and it brings in the cash. Problem solved.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Dreadnought
That may perhaps be your take on it, but it is not definitive and people/organizations define lower class in different ways?
yeah sure

btw i like trap and have been from atlanta for 4 years now

I'm intrigued as to why you have such a problem with this

because british and class system and bitter
Quote by Dreadnought
Are you supporting somebody else and a household, or are you still a student? That's a pretty important distinction. Most students fall outside of these distinctions because of specific circumstances.

I'm a student >.>.

Not sure why you'd not make a decent amount of money though. You strike me as an intelligent person.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I'm a student >.>.

Not sure why you'd not make a decent amount of money though. You strike me as an intelligent person.

because government jobs, homey. The military doesn't pay that great, and my wife doesn't work. I'm also not some high-ranking, high-falootin' General or some shit.

Quote by willT08
yeah sure

btw i like trap and have been from atlanta for 4 years now

Yah I'm not going to have a serious discussion with you about this if you're just going to act like a dingus.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I'm a student >.>.

Intelligence doesn't equal money.
What exactly do you do then?

I honestly will be happy when I make 1700 euros per month in a year.

Quote by Malchius

No, but you'd expect there to be a decent correlation.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dreadnought
Yah I'm not going to have a serious discussion with you about this if you're just going to act like a dingus.

Do you watch Check It Out? I just gotta ask.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by Dreadnought

you weren't gonna have it anyway darling
Quote by willT08
you weren't gonna have it anyway darling

So young and hip
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
Do you watch Check It Out? I just gotta ask.

YES

Thank god somebody got it.

I have five of broats.
Quote by Malchius

Yeah, this is basically the truth in a nutshell.

I'm also just going to add that intelligence isn't something that can be measured with any real accuracy.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Dreadnought
YES

Thank god somebody got it.

I have five of broats.

Quote by Saint78

Quote by Neo Evil11
What exactly do you do then?

I honestly will be happy when I make 1700 euros per month in a year.

No, but you'd expect there to be a decent correlation.

Only if you're naïve to believe that it works that way. I've worked for several high flying people with big houses, none of them were really intelligent, just lucky.
Of course I want to do what I want to do for fun. It's bad enough that I have to do somebody else's bidding for 50 years, so I'm aiming to try to make it not feel that way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by Malchius
Only if you're naïve to believe that it works that way. I've worked for several high flying people with big houses, none of them were really intelligent, just lucky.

Would just like to point out logically that this doesn't mean that intelligent people cannot do alright for themselves.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Of course I want to do what I want to do for fun. It's bad enough that I have to do somebody else's bidding for 50 years, so I'm aiming to try to make it not feel that way.

ofcourse there is a probability distribution, but
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
Would just like to point out logically that this doesn't mean that intelligent people cannot do alright for themselves.

I didn't mean that, though I could've worded it better. I was trying to point out that just because someone is intelligent, you don't just get given a high paying job and be on you way. A multitude of factors apply, I would say intelligence isn't even close to being the most important one.
I would love to say the fun stuff but the fun stuff wont make me that family man moanay.
Gotsta grind
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by Malchius
I didn't mean that, though I could've worded it better. I was trying to point out that just because someone is intelligent, you don't just get given a high paying job and be on you way. A multitude of factors apply, I would say intelligence isn't even close to being the most important one.

Which is true, but generally you'd expect an intelligent person to have a higher education than a less intelligent person, and with that higher education someone can at least on average get a higher wage.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dwight.Schrute

if they make the right choices yes

it has more to do with luck than anything
Quote by Neo Evil11
ofcourse there is a probability distribution, but

IQ is an accurate measure of intelligence?

lel
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
IQ is an accurate measure of intelligence?

lel

It's a decent proxy.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 3