I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, and I feel like many people have posted this question before, so I am sorry for asking again.
Anyways, I have been trying to get the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine down. I can play the verses, the bridge, and most of the solo fine, its just that the intro sounds absolutely awful. It sounds like the notes are overlapping and is kind of "muddy" and just doesn't have that nice sound you hear when Slash, or anyone else, plays it. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I was thinking that it might be my amp settings or the knobs on the guitar, which are a Line 6 Spider IV 15, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote by joe783
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, and I feel like many people have posted this question before, so I am sorry for asking again.
Anyways, I have been trying to get the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine down. I can play the verses, the bridge, and most of the solo fine, its just that the intro sounds absolutely awful. It sounds like the notes are overlapping and is kind of "muddy" and just doesn't have that nice sound you hear when Slash, or anyone else, plays it. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I was thinking that it might be my amp settings or the knobs on the guitar, which are a Line 6 Spider IV 15, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pay close attention to duration of the bass notes ( don't just let everything ring out, cut the notes off at the right time to avoid too much overlap upper strings). Also make sure you are properly muting the strings you aren't playing, otherwise it will sound like mush.
i might be missing something here, but how can you play the solo and not the intro? the solo is way harder than the intro. i suppose everyone is different and different people find different things easy and difficult, but still...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by reverb66
Pay close attention to duration of the bass notes ( don't just let everything ring out, cut the notes off at the right time to avoid too much overlap upper strings). Also make sure you are properly muting the strings you aren't playing, otherwise it will sound like mush.

Thanks for the tip. I know that's part if not most of the problem because when I stop playing, I can hear the one note from the bass string still ringing. How do you think I should mute the strings though?
How do you think I should mute the strings though?

You have several options, all of which involve putting a bit of you in light contact with the strings you aren't playing. Perhaps the easiest way to mute the E and A strings would be to imagine you're palm-muting them. Rest your pick hand on the guitar bridge, but only so it just touches the bottom (pitch) two strings.

The problem with that method is you'll probably mute other strings a bit too, so another thing to try would be to wrap your fretting thumb around the guitar neck so that the fleshy part is just resting on the E string. When fretting the d-string, you can use your finger tip to rest lightly against the A string, keeping that kinda muted.

Finally, if you're fretting the notes like you would a chord, this will cause them to ring into one another too much. After playing each note, try to lift your finger off slightly just after you play the next note.

Fundamentally though, you should be able to play the intro (properly, with it sounding reasonable) without either of these tricks IF you take it slowly and make sure you're hitting the strings cleanly. All of these aspects will improve with time and practice though.

To address this point:
i might be missing something here, but how can you play the solo and not the intro? the solo is way harder than the intro. i suppose everyone is different and different people find different things easy and difficult, but still...

Because the solos involve hitting strings that are next door to each other, so the picking is a lot simpler. Whilst the whole solo will be more challenging in the long run than the whole intro, the solos minus the fast bits/bits with bends in will be (potentially) easier to pick up.
Last edited by Quiffmiester at Mar 26, 2014,
When you're playing notes on the 12th fret, simply releasing the string after picking will give a subtle harmonic - ringing out even though you let go - so you need to be extra wary of muting it properly (picking hand) and it goes for other frets with distinct harmonics as well. The intro isn't difficult if you can already string skip OK and use the "roll" with ring finger for the fret 14 notes, at least that's how I do it. For this I just recommend playing it really slow where you can play it perfectly and it sounds great and speeding up slowly, you'll have it down in a few hours imo. When you get it better listen with your ears to get the durations spot on. It isn't hard and it's a nice exercise, I believe that was what it originally was - and I think it's the easiest lead guitar part except maybe that post chorus stuff and the verse background thing so if you know the solo this should be piece of cake. GL
Well a couple things, your amp is a good beginner amp but overall is a really bad amp, you simply won't get that tone, you aren't Slash, therefore it won't sound like the record, but as for actually playing it properly, with that intro make sure the notes don't overlap, make sure when you hit a note that the one you hit before it isn't still ringing, i had that amp when i started and i'm a big GnR fan so what i use to do was use the metal channel with a nice amount of reverb, also use your neck pick up, slash would also roll of the tone to 0 on his neck pick up but with that amp it sounds terrible so just use neck pick up and leave the tone on 10, but by far the biggest thing is you're a beginner, give it time and it'll come
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by Dave_Mc

He said he could play some of it, i'd assume the first part which is really easy but not the fast part
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
^ I dunno if I'd call any of it "really easy". But yeah as Quiffmeister said, the picking is maybe awkward in the intro.

Quote by Quiffmiester

To address this point:

Because the solos involve hitting strings that are next door to each other, so the picking is a lot simpler. Whilst the whole solo will be more challenging in the long run than the whole intro, the solos minus the fast bits/bits with bends in will be (potentially) easier to pick up.

Yeah that makes sense
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CJGunner7
Well a couple things, your amp is a good beginner amp but overall is a really bad amp, you simply won't get that tone, you aren't Slash, therefore it won't sound like the record, but as for actually playing it properly, with that intro make sure the notes don't overlap, make sure when you hit a note that the one you hit before it isn't still ringing, i had that amp when i started and i'm a big GnR fan so what i use to do was use the metal channel with a nice amount of reverb, also use your neck pick up, slash would also roll of the tone to 0 on his neck pick up but with that amp it sounds terrible so just use neck pick up and leave the tone on 10, but by far the biggest thing is you're a beginner, give it time and it'll come

So you think that the problem may be the amp? I was thinking that too since when I play it accousticly without the amp it sounds fine.
It could be (the spider's not great) but it could also be that your muting is not great (and that wouldn't show up so much when you're playing unplugged).

We kind of get the rep (somewhat unfairly I think ) in the gear forums of suggesting buying new gear instead of practising, but I would never suggest doing that. When I suggest buying new gear it's with the assumption that you can already play and that the playing isn't the problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use the neck pickup for the intro and bridge pickup for the long solo part , I have never had a problem with the intro only timing when playing with a backing track , Just practice until you remember the notes and try to get the best sound from your amp or pedals .
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Mar 30, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
It could be (the spider's not great) but it could also be that your muting is not great (and that wouldn't show up so much when you're playing unplugged).

We kind of get the rep (somewhat unfairly I think ) in the gear forums of suggesting buying new gear instead of practising, but I would never suggest doing that. When I suggest buying new gear it's with the assumption that you can already play and that the playing isn't the problem.

Do you know of any good ways to mute the notes for something like this? A video or link would be fine too.
I think freepower did a video on muting. I'll see if I can hoke it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

I've never actually watched the whole vid so I dunno how accurate it is. But I know he's a mod and well-respected around here so I'm sure it's good stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think freepower did a video on muting. I'll see if I can hoke it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

I've never actually watched the whole vid so I dunno how accurate it is. But I know he's a mod and well-respected around here so I'm sure it's good stuff.

Wow, that video helped a lot, thanks. I found the issue was that the first note wasn't getting muted after I lifted my finger off it and it was leaving that little hum afterwards, which was causing it to sound bad. The tone still isn't good, but that can be improved by setting the amp differently or upgrading amps when I get the money. Thanks for the help! This is one of my favorite songs, so it's nice to be able to play it properly now!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This song is a piece of cake anybody can nail it! Gun's and Roses songs are so simple that it's not even funny lol. If you're having trouble muting I suggest you look up videos on youtube about muting strings with the palm of your hand.
ok let's hear your attempt then. I don't think slash is the greatest guitarist of all time or anything like that, but he is pretty darn good. And plenty of people who think they can nail it, er, don't. IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am going to say what you do not want to hear. Practice. You should get it in time.
Quote by jthabcd
I am going to say what you do not want to hear. Practice. You should get it in time.

Haha, I know practice is key, there is no denying it
I know this is a bit off topic... but does anyone know what he has the knobs on the Les Paul set to? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
if in doubt i'd guess full up. unless you have good reason to believe they're not full up, especially in heavier types of rock and/or with heavier distortion tones I'd assume full up.

neck pickup for the intro, far as i'm aware.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?