I was listening to Radiohead's classic, "Paranoid Android", and I wondered what key/scale/tonality the outro/end solo is in. I've been searching Google and Youtube for at least an hour about it. The solo is one of the most alien and bizarre sounding solos out there (like Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" or something Meshuggah or Buckethead would do on an off-day). It sounds atonal but not. Don't just say "use pitch shifter", I'm looking for the theory of it to adapt to my own playing. I'd be thankful for some polite answers.

Radiohead's Paranoid Android
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF8khJ7P4Wg
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Don't look at the solo, look at the chords first. I think it's a I - bVI - bVII progression by the way (I haven't tried it out but I think it's that).
the OK computer tab book has A in brackets & the chords are C, Ab, Bb & F.
i've tried to make head or tail of it for years and it still makes no sense to me.
sorry to just chime in like that.
Quote by vocoderboy
the OK computer tab book has A in brackets & the chords are C, Ab, Bb & F.
i've tried to make head or tail of it for years and it still makes no sense to me.
sorry to just chime in like that.
The C - Ab - Bb is the thing I said in the previous post. It's in the key of C major then. Not sure about that F but I can't play or listen right now.
Last edited by sickman411 at Mar 26, 2014,
Sorry for resurrecting this old topic but does anyone know any solos similar to the "Paranoid Android" Outro solo (I'd like to analyze a similar one).
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main riff is essentially A locrian or some Am scale with a flat 5

The second riff (with the borrowed chords) you can simply play a C whole tone scale. Haven't played the song in a few years tho

Just saying bVI BVII I isn't enough information in this case because it doesn't tell you anything about the F# in the bass line
Quote by bassalloverthe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main riff is essentially A locrian or some Am scale with a flat 5

The second riff (with the borrowed chords) you can simply play a C whole tone scale. Haven't played the song in a few years tho

Just saying bVI BVII I isn't enough information in this case because it doesn't tell you anything about the F# in the bass line

What riffs are you referring to?

bVI-bVII-I is the chord progression in the outro and I think it's enough to define the key.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What riffs are you referring to?

bVI-bVII-I is the chord progression in the outro and I think it's enough to define the key.

The riff when it gets heavy again right after the rain down part. But now im thinking it's just a blues scale since the bend up to natural 5

I disagree with the second part. There's no F# in Ab major Bb major or C major. No one mentioned seventh chords so you can't rely on enharmonics. The F# is why OP described it as atonal. It makes the whole thing a big whole tone scale. It's very important to the functional quality of the outro.

You are also on very unstable ground trying to define a symmetrical scale with a key
^ I just listened to it and sounds like C is the key center in that riff. I didn't look at any scales or anything. I just used my ears. C is the key center to me.

At 5:48 the melody goes D Eb A Bb F F (an octave lower). The only "strange" note is A over the Ab chord.

At 6:11 the melody goes like A G Bb C A F G F - A G Eb F D Eb D C

Again, the only "strange" note is A.

I would say it sounds like C dorian scale played over C minor progression and the A note pretty much clashes with the Ab. But it still sounds clearly tonal to me. I'm hearing it resolving to C, it's just i-bVI-bVII. I would say it sounds more minor than major to me.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by RonaldPoe
I was listening to Radiohead's classic, "Paranoid Android", and I wondered what key/scale/tonality the outro/end solo is in. I've been searching Google and Youtube for at least an hour about it. The solo is one of the most alien and bizarre sounding solos out there (like Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner" or something Meshuggah or Buckethead would do on an off-day). It sounds atonal but not. Don't just say "use pitch shifter", I'm looking for the theory of it to adapt to my own playing. I'd be thankful for some polite answers.

Radiohead's Paranoid Android
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF8khJ7P4Wg

sounds like he's using the Triple Lindy scale, with some confrigulated rhythm patterns, and paramodulating harmonies.
^^I agree that that chord progression is bVI bVII I I'm just saying there's a functional F# in the baseline that would never be given away by just seeing those chords. So the chords and bass are clearly establishing whole tone

Then j Greenwood (going by your post) goes out of his way to include every note NOT in the C whole tone scale to make shit chromatic. I think if you just look at the guitar part though, it's misleading

Also, haven't heard the song in a while, but your sure it's i not I?

Ps I'd just listen but I'm on my phone
Last edited by bassalloverthe at Jun 11, 2014,
Quote by bassalloverthe
^^I agree that that chord progression is bVI bVII I I'm just saying there's a functional F# in the baseline that would never be given away by just seeing those chords. So the chords and bass are clearly establishing whole tone

Then j Greenwood (going by your post) goes out of his way to include every note NOT in the C whole tone scale to make shit chromatic. I think if you just look at the guitar part though, it's misleading

Also, haven't heard the song in a while, but your sure it's i not I?

Ps I'd just listen but I'm on my phone

Yeah... Well, they are just power chords so they can be both major or minor. But at least the first one sounds more minor to me. The second one has an A played over the tonic chord so it does have a bit more major sound.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Interesting information above but now I'm curious if there's any guitar solos that are similar to the outro of "Paranoid Android". I'm looking for some out there solos to examine and listen to.

Quote by RonaldPoe
Interesting information above but now I'm curious if there's any guitar solos that are similar to the outro of "Paranoid Android". I'm looking for some out there solos to examine and listen to.

Analyse easier solos first. If you like this song "Lucky" by Radiohead has an outro/solo that would be at a good level for you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i know little to nothing about theory and love this song... skimmed through this thread and it confuses me even more... such a short solo seems to complex when you analyze it through chords/scales/harmonies/keys and whatever... i say just plug in and play along to the solo by ear over and over until you get close to the same tone... or find a karaoke-style version with just the rhythm... you'll get alot closer. there is no secret formula or scale to emulate greenwood the man is bananas. that song is ****ing sweet and the solo is just crisp
Quote by jdenmo
... i say just plug in and play along to the solo by ear over and over until you get close to the same tone... or find a karaoke-style version with just the rhythm... you'll get alot closer. there is no secret formula or scale to emulate greenwood the man is bananas. that song is ****ing sweet and the solo is just crisp

Sorry to participate in the necro-bump but... this...^^
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.